I have to ask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
My wife and I are new to Pa. We moved here in August, We have never dove salt water and I would like to do it soon. Is there any decient shore diving in the area with decient Vis? We both dive wet, and she is skiddish, cold dark water I'll never get her in it, cold with vis shes good for a dive. Im looking for something calming so I can build her confidence up.

Sylvester- First off, welcome!

Shore diving up here is always an iffy thing as far as vis is concerned. It's usually not the dark, claustrophobic environment you are fearing it might be though. You are going to average 5 to 15' vis in most places, and the water is somewhat turbid, so it's not exactly "bright and sunny" down there.

Once you get used to it, the diving up here can be great. Unless your wife has a real problem with claustrophobia, you should be able to ease her into diving here, and slowly get used to it. The vis is generally better (say 20 to 40') offshore, but boat trips are a bit more demanding and more expensive than shore diving.

The dive season is nearing it's end for non dry/non ice divers. Jen and I are doing some shore diving this weekend. Long Island will be a bit of a haul, but you and your wife are welcome to join us if you really want to try to get a dive in before winter sets in. I can take you to a relatively shallow, sheltered cove that will be a good "confidence builder" type dive.

If you're looking for a shorter drive, you can hook up with some of the group going to Dutch Springs. You did mention ocean diving though, and DS is a quarry. Anyway, let me know if you're up for the drive.

Scott

I appricate the invite, I wont make it to join you. Folks in the club I join with here speak highly of Dutch Springs, I havent yet been because Bainbridge and Willow are closer to me. My work schedule since moving here is unbelievable, I have problems planning a day a week off.

I have dove with her in low vis water Willow Springs in the summer, she was not comfortable getting in, once she was in she will settled down with having things in the water to check out. After getting out I was informed of how she did not care for that low vis. 15-20 ft vis she seems to handle well, I am relly trying to go slow and not task load her. Salt water 1st, then some current, building up to a boat dive.

Sounds like you're doing it right. If you don't make it by winter, there's plenty of us here that can point you in the right direction this spring. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to judge the vis right from shore, depending on the conditions you see. Just don't get in if your wife's uncomfortable.

Hi Sylvester and welcome to the Central PA area. I live in Dillsburg, just 20 minutes from Carlisle. What club did you join?

Bainbrige is similar to DS only smaller. Viz is usually fairly good and not overly crowded. Willow is OK in the fall, but in the summer the viz goes down to a few inches due to the algae and silt. My wife did a few of her checkout dives at Willow and refuses to go back. I don't mind, but I'm always up for a challenge.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I have seen Dillsburg on the map. I joined with DEEP, they have their meeting in New Cumberland. One day I'll make it to DS. I have also eyed a few of the lakes around here like Fuller lake over in pine grove park.

Sylvester,

When is you next DEEP meeting? Dillsburg is about 20 minutes south of New Cumberland on Route 15. I don't know anyone around here that belongs to DEEP. Maybe I'll join. What do you think of it so far? I dive mostly with Smokey's Divers Den in Lancaster. It is a great LDS with the most friendly staff. They always invite everyone to come join them. What LDS do you deal with?

I also checked our Pine Grove State Park. Didn't dive there, but you are allowed. YOu just have to sign in at the park office and show your C-card.

I'm in the same situation as you. My wife got certified a few years ago, and we are working on getting her more experince before attemping boat dives off of NJ. She is getting very comfortable in the water. We both got Rescue Certified a few months ago, and almost started DM classes. Time constraints on our part made us pass for this year. It sounds like you are going about it the same way. No task/fear overloading. I think the upcoming year we are going to do the Deep and Wreck Specialties and then go up to Prescott Ont. for a weekend boat trip.

Jeff

My impression of Deep... hummm they dive but the communications process is kinda slow. They are planning a oyster dive somewhere south by the bay bridge on the 22d, I might go I dont like oysters, but its still diving.

They meet at Coalklys 1st Wed of every month, about 1900hrs. Coakletys Restraunt in the back room, off 3d and Bridge st next to a theater.

My wife was certified this yr, shes fully equiped with good gear but just does not eel comfortable yet in cold or low vis water.

I normally dive at BSC or Willow, my regular Dive bud from Hburg. his work schedule is almost as bad as mine, but I think he is about to call it a season. I will keep diving though the winter if I have someone to dive with. My work schedule is where my show stopper is sometimes with a little notice I can take weekday for a weekend that I worked.

My wife wont even humor me on AOW she is content being a OW diver for now.

This weekend is booked for me I will be at Ft Indiantown Gap, and Saturday the 15th is bad but Sun the 16th is open if you want to try and meet up at BSC or somplace and use a cpl of tanks of air?

My buddy in Hburg dives with smokeys some, I haven't . As far as a LDS, ummm I mail my gear back to my old LDS in Missouri, and let him service it he has one of my regs now.

But I will probley use BSC for tank maintenance, and unscheduled things that occur.

Back
Top Bottom