I guess this was inevitable.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Phillips:
Dan had a whistle, but this was a live boat. He surfaced approx. 100 yards from the boat and started to blow. I doubt even the loudest whistle can be heard from 100 yards while deisel engines are running to keep the boat downcurrent of the rig. He did have a sausage that he could have deployed for better affect, but chose not to deploy until he was several hours adrift.
By nature all rig dives are from a live boat around here as they are not allowed to dock.
Dan should have known and be prepared for that.
The 132 db from a Dive Alert might have done the trick, as might have a visual signal.
Ill prepared and ill executed.

caveseeker7:
By nature all rig dives are from a live boat around here as they are not allowed to dock.
Dan should have known and be prepared for that.
The 132 db from a Dive Alert might have done the trick, as might have a visual signal.
Ill prepared and ill executed.

I see so one must have everything I have a PLB in case of these situations do you? if not then it must be your fault if left behind because you did not take EVERY step that you could have. As this story reads the boat moved to another location with one less diver than it came out with, even if the diver concerned was attempting to get lost the boat should not have left the area until everyone was accounted for.

Now talking about what he should have had dive alert/visual signal doe's the boat mandate or suggest that you have these before diving with them. I have dived with boats that do and they want to see them before you leave the dock. Now thats a good boat for you.

No, you don't have to bring every gizmo known to man.
What you do bring is what you need to execute the dive safely.
In the open ocean that means an audible and a visible signaling device.
If it's a live boat dive the audible signaling device needs to be loud.
If it's a night dive (which this wasn't) the visible signaling device needs to emit a light, not just reflect it. Common sense.

And you bring the needed diving skills, either for solo or buddy diving.
That's common sense, too.

Just like you expect commom sense from a diver entering a cave or a wreck:
have the approriate skills and equipment.

Diving carries all kinds of risks, we try to minimize them with training, skills,
planing, vigilance and plain, simple, old common sense.

And we should be responsible for the choices we make.
Not trying to get rich on ineptness, complacency and stupidity.

caveseeker7:
No, you don't have to bring every gizmo known to man.
What you do bring is what you need to execute the dive safely.
In the open ocean that means an audible and a visible signaling device.
If it's a live boat dive the audible signaling device needs to be loud.
If it's a night dive (which this wasn't) the visible signaling device needs to emit a light, not just reflect it. Common sense.

And you bring the needed diving skills, either for solo or buddy diving.
That's common sense, too.

Just like you expect commom sense from a diver entering a cave or a wreck:
have the approriate skills and equipment.

Diving carries all kinds of risks, we try to minimize them with training, skills,
planing, vigilance and plain, simple, old common sense.

And we should be responsible for the choices we make.
Not trying to get rich on ineptness, complacency and stupidity.

On part of this you are right but you can not get around the fact that the boat left the dive site minus one diver, ineptness, complacency and stupidity by the DM and Capt. Had the diver been missed at the first dive site a search done for him and not found for five hours because he had no signaling devices his fault.

where was the vigilance of the Capt when he surfaced twice, did the Capt know he had surfaced.

As I said before, either in this or the other thread, just about everyone but the boy scouts screwed up. There are so many bad decisions here that it makes me worried about mankind.

But my opinion stands, the diver should be responsible for his actions.
And if everyone else involved is being held responsible for theirs (legally),
so should he.

Charlie99:
This sounds like Ocean Concepts and the boat weren't exactly blameless.

Why start being mum now Chris? You previously claimed "The facts as stated in this thread are, as the old song goes, "Ain't Necessarily So." Why make such statements if you aren't willing to be more specific, or to at least answer my specific question as to whether or not the boat was moved without the diver onboard.

The sort of veiled innuendo that you are throwing around reminds me of the Surgeon feared dead on abalone outing thread, where wild things like him disappearing to Mexico and insurance scam were being discussed, simply because the body didn't show up for a while.

Yeah, I stated that people are talking out of their *** on this thread, and your point is what? I have talked to some of the defendants in this case. I have read the complaint. I've read the LA TImes article. Dan's story as told to the press and in his complaint is, as I said, not necessarily true. I stated in the thread why I wouldn't share anything. If you missed it, so be it.

Sorry, but I am simply not going to jeopardize any of the defendants in this case in order to make you feel better. If there was no case filed I'd feel differently. If you want answers so badly call Ray or Steve LAdd yourself. If they won't tell you, I certainly won't. It's their businesses on the line.

As far as whether the boat was moved, it appears your question was answered by Robert.

There is no "veiled innuendo", except to the extent people are talking about it like they know what went on. Only people were there knew what happened.

Chris

ChrisM:
Yeah, I stated that people are talking out of their *** on this thread, and your point is what? I have talked to some of the defendants in this case. I have read the complaint. I've read the LA TImes article. Dan's story as told to the press and in his complaint is, as I said, not necessarily true. I stated in the thread why I wouldn't share anything. If you missed it, so be it.

Sorry, but I am simply not going to jeopardize any of the defendants in this case in order to make you feel better. If there was no case filed I'd feel differently. If you want answers so badly call Ray or Steve LAdd yourself. If they won't tell you, I certainly won't. It's their businesses on the line.

As far as whether the boat was moved, it appears your question was answered by Robert.

There is no "veiled innuendo", except to the extent people are talking about it like they know what went on. Only people were there knew what happened.

Chris

can only go by what has been reported thats a fact questions on this were asked in another thread and not answered so if we are talking out of our *** then maybe you should stop defending them and leave it at lets see what the court decides then the thread would die a natural death, this seems to be what you want. After the facts that you know about and we don't come out in court then we may all agree. At the moment you are defending and we are responding with the information that has has been made public

So ....as the sea churns, apprently the people on the boat didn't know what happened becasue Diver duffus got left behind!

Okay, I've only been diving for 5 years..but everytime I went on a boat Dive, be it Thailand, japan..or out here in our own little cornado islands..I made damn sure everybody knew who I was and I knew who they where. I was with a group off cornado, I left my two buddies o go about 100 yds twoards the isalnd, but ONLY becasue I had GOOD visual contact. I'm so anal becasue I learned how to dive off the La Jolla shores, I'm always looking left, looking right, down up..I'm paranoid of loosing my buddy. Well that and you're diving in almost black water condtions lol...whaoo hurray for 10 feet vis days!

All I am saying is, I don't know this guy, but for a company to just loose a Diver...it sounds kinda fishy to me..and How many have been lost? 95% of people killed in diving accident failed to do the basic checks..not enough air, wrong equipment and striaght up maochismo attitude onboard. I know Navy EOD and SEAL, and Marine Corps RECON guys that are mellow about the dives..its your life you are dealing with. Diving is the 3rd most dangerous sport..next to BASE jumping anf Free diving ( greater then 200 feet)

Companies getting involved in this sport are not stupid..insurance, liablity..however..it only takes a 150 bucks to get certified for your first 60 feet and a dumb bubba joe to think he's ready to go ( I do apologise if any one is named Bubba)

:wink:

Am i the only one that thinks this sounds like a major scam. He gets sick sees open water and gets and idea to scam so he can sue someone. gets his buddy goes on a dive boat separates from his buddy stays down has his buddy speak up for him at roll call so that they would leave him. then he can sue.
Think about it......
Cancer is not instant, i dont care how bad the sun is you wont get it in 1 day peroid.
unless you have the lungs of a 1 year old, whistles are designed to be very loud. over open water even with engines on full someone would have heard it.
he had a signal but decided not to deploy it till after the boat left.... sounds like he didnt want to be seen.
and for the people saying oh but he was all alone.... thats bull anyone who has dove the channel islands knows that all kinds of boats go by all the time and not just dive boats. I wouldent be afraid one bit to be left behind at any of them cause unless you were trying to hide you wouldent spend more than 12-24 hrs. And he was by catalina which is one of the most traveled islands. It would have been more believeable if it had been like anacapa.

Now i dont have any proof as to weather he was left or its a fraud, but it sounds way fishy to me, i would like an independant non biased (not paid off ) doctor to determine how long he has had this so called cancer.

I guess im going by the old addage, if it smells like ####, looks like ####, its more than likely ####

mk57nato:
Am i the only one that thinks this sounds like a major scam. He gets sick sees open water and gets and idea to scam so he can sue someone. gets his buddy goes on a dive boat separates from his buddy stays down has his buddy speak up for him at roll call so that they would leave him. then he can sue.
Think about it......
Cancer is not instant, i dont care how bad the sun is you wont get it in 1 day peroid.
unless you have the lungs of a 1 year old, whistles are designed to be very loud. over open water even with engines on full someone would have heard it.
he had a signal but decided not to deploy it till after the boat left.... sounds like he didnt want to be seen.
and for the people saying oh but he was all alone.... thats bull anyone who has dove the channel islands knows that all kinds of boats go by all the time and not just dive boats. I wouldent be afraid one bit to be left behind at any of them cause unless you were trying to hide you wouldent spend more than 12-24 hrs. And he was by catalina which is one of the most traveled islands. It would have been more believeable if it had been like anacapa.

Now i dont have any proof as to weather he was left or its a fraud, but it sounds way fishy to me, i would like an independant non biased (not paid off ) doctor to determine how long he has had this so called cancer.

I guess im going by the old addage, if it smells like ####, looks like ####, its more than likely ####
I'm certainly not trying to defend Drifting Dan as I think the lawsuit is greed-based, but his buddy is a staff instructor at the shop he's suing, the location of the rigs is about 18 miles from Catalina, it was very foggy and he was only drifting for five hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom