I almost DIED in Grand Cayman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the second zombie thread in a row, I opened off the new posts - what's going on out there today/tonight?!?! :idk:EDIT: I understand talking about some general concepts from the thread, but I wouldn't expect responses from comments directed to the OP who said she was quitting diving (3 years ago). Just thought I'd clarify :)
Yeah, it's my fault. I think in future if I find an old thread that's interesting, I'll just start a new thread, including a quote from the original post. Is that acceptable etiquette?

Yeah, it's my fault. I think in future if I find an old thread that's interesting, I'll just start a new thread, including a quote from the original post. Is that acceptable etiquette?

That is a much better idea. Many times folks who originally posted have left the board. It seems like a new thread with a beginning of "I read this, and it got me thinking, what about......" might be a better way to have your questions/concerns addressed.

Yeah, I know this is an old post but ... we spent a week at Sunset House in GC and I think I know where the OP was probably diving from and I completely understand how this could have happened. When you do a shore dive from Sunset House (well, when WE were doing them) the surface current went from right to left (northeast to southwest?). We weren't aware that the current was there the first time out - we were just looking for the Mermaid! We had already been out on a boat dive and experienced NO current and yes, it was stupid not to anticipate a current off shore, but we didn't. When we surfaced after our dive - and NOT finding the Mermaid - we were significantly downcurrent from where we started and perplexed. The only thing in that direction are some huge oil tanks - not a promising looking area to try to get to shore. We also had to do some fairly difficult surface swimming - though we did have enough air to descend to do most of our work under the current. I'm not sure that the local folks even think about the current being a big deal - when we mentioned it to other divers there were some who confirmed that yes, they had the same problem and some who just poo-poo'd it. We didn't make that same mistake twice - we headed out against the current and then did some drifting back to our exit point thereafter.

And as an aside, I know that people DO recommend gearing up at the dive shop in front of where Devil's Grotto is, but personally I think it's a bit of a swim and could be a navigational challenge. Just my 2 cents.

I wonder if the OP really hung up her reg or if she changed her mind and got back in the water ...

::::waves hi!:::::
Wow, blast from the past. I guess I checked "alert me to new messages in thread" or something, I got these in my box this morning. I'm SHOCKED how much my heart is pounding just even re-reading my dramatic drama from 3 years ago, lol.

It's interesting to look back on this, my husband still loves to remind me often that he saved my life that one day in Cayman, lol.
Not that anyone really cares, but I sold my gear RIGHT after that incident, and bought a fancy new camera body. (I'm a photog).

I never did like diving. SCARED the crap out of me every single time, and it wasn't in a good way. I got into the water almost every time in tears, and I certainly couldn't WAIT to get back in the boat after the dive. WHY did I do it? Mostly b/c my husband and I were traveling around the world in 2006, and there were too many incredible places to dive to sit it out. (Palau Sipidan and Mabul, Philippines, Thailand, Borneo, etc) While I'm glad I had the wonderful (non-eventful, LUCKY) dives I did, I have NO desire to ever do it again.

We made some STUPID mistakes that day in Grand Cayman. STUPID. And we likely did prior, too, just too green to know it. I've actually delt with some pretty serious panic attacks (PTSD'ish reactions) to being in the water (lakes!) like that at the surface, can't watch scuba shows, hate to even THINK about it, etc. This event really did a number on me, for sure! I am able to take my daughter swimming, and she's taking lessons to be comfortable in the water, so I'm grateful to still have that.

Anywho, interesting to hear others speak of the current. I've always secretly hoped that it wasn't 100% our stupidity that got us into that mess, lol. Oh well, live and learn. Emphasis on the LIVE part. Thanks folks.

Thank-you so much for the update, we were all wondering how you were doing!

Just so you know, your thoughtful recounting of the experience is still educating others who came after you, and doubtless saving lives.

::::waves hi!:::::
Wow, blast from the past. I guess I checked "alert me to new messages in thread" or something, I got these in my box this morning. I'm SHOCKED how much my heart is pounding just even re-reading my dramatic drama from 3 years ago, lol.

It's interesting to look back on this, my husband still loves to remind me often that he saved my life that one day in Cayman, lol.
Not that anyone really cares, but I sold my gear RIGHT after that incident, and bought a fancy new camera body. (I'm a photog).

I never did like diving. SCARED the crap out of me every single time, and it wasn't in a good way. I got into the water almost every time in tears, and I certainly couldn't WAIT to get back in the boat after the dive. WHY did I do it? Mostly b/c my husband and I were traveling around the world in 2006, and there were too many incredible places to dive to sit it out. (Palau Sipidan and Mabul, Philippines, Thailand, Borneo, etc) While I'm glad I had the wonderful (non-eventful, LUCKY) dives I did, I have NO desire to ever do it again.

We made some STUPID mistakes that day in Grand Cayman. STUPID. And we likely did prior, too, just too green to know it. I've actually delt with some pretty serious panic attacks (PTSD'ish reactions) to being in the water (lakes!) like that at the surface, can't watch scuba shows, hate to even THINK about it, etc. This event really did a number on me, for sure! I am able to take my daughter swimming, and she's taking lessons to be comfortable in the water, so I'm grateful to still have that.

Anywho, interesting to hear others speak of the current. I've always secretly hoped that it wasn't 100% our stupidity that got us into that mess, lol. Oh well, live and learn. Emphasis on the LIVE part. Thanks folks.

Sorry - I didn't have the schutzpah to read the entire thread ( if my forthcoming question has already been answered somewhere within, I will seek it out! ) but as an Instructor, I'm curious of one thing: How did you manage to get certified??

And one more thing - does your husband still dive?

Regards,
DSD

I'm SO glad you sold your stuff and got the photog equipment instead! Nobody should feel compelled to dive to make someone else happy/comfortable/whatever - especially when it is so clearly frightening to that person. When I began diving I wasn't crazy about it (lukewarm at best) - but eventually I got the bug and now I can't imagine a vacation without diving. Whenever I see that commercial where the woman is buying new mountain climbing gear (a charge card commercial) I think "wow - that looks SO cool - but I could NEVER do it!" The idea of tumbling down a butte or cliff is enough to terrify me and I can understand how diving could have that effect on someone else.

Glad you have a hobby that will help you guys remember the topside while your husband gets to visit under da sea. Also glad that your daughter has two parents and is getting to appreciate water and air!! :)

I wonder whether people who post this kind of question are aware that it comes across as insulting.

Just because you consider it insulting, does not mean it is not a very valid question. Sometimes it is impossible to not insult at least one person.....some people just want to be insulted.

I wonder whether people who post this kind of question are aware that it comes across as insulting.
I am sure he did not intend to be insulting. He has been posting some questions on the Coz board recently and has been nothing but very polite. After all, he is a Canadian. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom