I do not agree with, "Dive and Let Dive."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can we skip the solo divers side tracking to defending solo? Solo is like a tenth of a percent of any D&LD. (I mostly solo dive. It is not the main issue here.)

Most of the issue is kicking the crap out of the bottom (not D&LD) vs. getting in the water looking like an accident waiting to happen (depends, diplomacy is good).

How do you define harming anyone else?

What about the harm to family & friends if you die (or worse still, are permanently disabled) by being an idiot or reckless?

What about the direct harm to people who witness or try to help you due to being an idiot or reckless?

What about the indirect harm due to resources being given to you and not someone else, for example, having first responders attending you, occupying space in a chamber that someone else could have used, etc.?

What about the perceptual harm to all divers if non-divers (including insurance agencies, administrators of public waters, etc) see divers as idiots and reckless?

If you sign a DNR (Do Not Rescue) order with each dive waiver, knowing that no one would do anything at all to help you if you're being an idiot or reckless, then maybe that would shift some of the consequences more to you, affecting others less.

This feels more like a philosophical debate than it is an factual one.

When I say I'm not harming anyone I mean direct harm, as in risking another diver in the water with me etc.

This game can be played for ever... what about overweight people and obesity related illnesses? They take a *huge* amount of resources simply for over indulging on food and refusing to get on a treadmill.
It is a very easy problem to fix yet so many people would rather stuff their face with ice cream than exercise.

People who ride motorbikes ? Tabacco smokers? Hikers? I can go on... this is not a valid argument.
Everyone has free will and we must acknowledge that some activities carry risk (albeit some more than others) but we don't limit those people from living their lives.

By that logic we should all stay inside and never participate in any activity.
You are welcomed to do that, if you wish.

LOL, I would love for someone to come and say something to me. I would politely ask for their credentials of authority. Short of that you will get totally ignored.

DALD to me has always been about philosophy, not safety. Jackets vs bp/w. Wetsuit vs dry. Singles vs doubles. Long hose or not.

I went diving off a boat in NJ yesterday and outside from us all breathing underwater no 2 people looked anything alike. Independent doubles, manifolded doubles, singles with mounted pony or slung pony, and even one SM (1st I've seen in NJ in my limited experience).

Everyone was diving solo as it was 10' viz. Everyone was hunting. All had a great time. Even a little bit of deco involved I would think.

If something looked unsafe then it was called out (one guy had forgotten his waist belt, quickly called out), but outside of that, different wasn't called out. If anything it caused intrigue not ridicule.

That is my take on DALD. But my take is limited to mostly murky diving where you have to be self reliant even if not certified for it.

So.... dive and let dive (as I intent it to mean:))!

Every dive is a solo dive, sometimes with other people.
This is my philosophy also.
To the people who depend on their buddy or the buddy system in general to the point where your buddy is your entire back up both physically and mentally, what happens if you’re in a moment of need and your buddy just happens to be in their moment of need at the same time? Where do you go and what do you do?
To avoid this you’d have to always dive with someone more immune to problems, more mentally stable, and better than you. For them to avoid the same situation you would always have to be the superior diver to them. So how does that work?
This is why total reliance on the “buddy” system to me is flawed.
IMO, both divers need to be fully self sufficient and competent to the point that they are completely comfortable solo diving. Then having someone else there is just a little nicer and more fun, but not critical.

DALD to me has always been about philosophy, not safety. Jackets vs bp/w. Wetsuit vs dry. Singles vs doubles. Long hose or not.

I went diving off a boat in NJ yesterday and outside from us all breathing underwater no 2 people looked anything alike. Independent doubles, manifolded doubles, singles with mounted pony or slung pony, and even one SM (1st I've seen in NJ in my limited experience).

Everyone was diving solo as it was 10' viz. Everyone was hunting. All had a great time. Even a little bit of deco involved I would think.

If something looked unsafe then it was called out (one guy had forgotten his waist belt, quickly called out), but outside of that, different wasn't called out. If anything it caused intrigue not ridicule.

That is my take on DALD. But my take is limited to mostly murky diving where you have to be self reliant even if not certified for it.

So.... dive and let dive (as I intent it to mean:))!
This sounds like the real world of diving, not the internet world.
And hunting too, excellent!

You don’t have to deal with the stupid PADI OW instructors. I told the quarry owners next time, gloves are off. I’ve been fairly civil up to now (for me that means limited use of the F word and no vicious sarcasm).
chuckling to myself ... do they give you grief for no snorkle too ?

Hunting what?

Black sea bass, northern lobster, and monk fish were all brought back. Bottom temp was 48f. They said the colder waters bring the monk fish. Was a pretty good day all in all.

(Not my catch, but was my dinner!!)

20220529_121242.jpg
20220529_121251.jpg

Black sea bass, northern lobster, and monk fish were all brought back. Bottom temp was 48f. They said the colder waters bring the monk fish. Was a pretty good day all in all.

(Not my catch, but was my dinner!!)

View attachment 725584
View attachment 725586
How much $ was the charter, how many tanks (do they supply or is it BYO), what depths?
Bottom composition?
How hard is it for out of staters to get a fishing license?
Looks like something I’d like to get in on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom