I did it! - Bought first set of gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

congratulations Sunshine Fish!

but BEWARE...this is only the beginning. oh sure, your BC & reg may last you a life time, but it's the other stuff that's going to cost you now. you know...like plane tickets to exotic dive locations. life's just not fair sometimes...but someone has to go out there & dive!

Roooter

:scared: Ice diving? :cold: Gulp. Mmmm....uh....well, maybe one day. Did I mention I'm cold-water-phobic?
Originally posted by Ontario Diver
Congrats on the gear - makes it seem more real when it takes up space in your own bedroom!

(I'm thinking that that 3mm might be a wee bit cold when you come up here for some ice diving tho' :D )

Thanks to everyone for their supportive comments. I say supportive b/c I was totally feeling buyer-guilt this morning and needed to hear some positive reinforcement on the big purchase. The only thing that I "need" to get now is a camera. But that is a whole 'nother thread.

:)

SunshineFish,
Congratulations on your purchases. It looks like you have a good collection of gear.
Diving seems to be more fun when you are wearing your own "stuff". As the others have said, it's a good "start"-next-the camera, the travel, etc.
Wishing you many safe dives with the new gear,
MikeD

Namely, the most important pieces of gear; mask, fins and snorkel. Diving is about swimming, breathing and seeing anywhere in the water column and including the surface; especially in southern waters.

The tropical environment offers clear water, so consider a mask which has low volume for clearing, a black skirt to enhance visual concentration and proper fit to eliminate "weeps". Wide view is essential as is nose pocket for clearing. Make sure the material is soft silicone and that the strap buckle is simple and strong. Some plastic buckles break. I suggest the Ocean Reef "reef" mask as the least expensive, low volume, high quality mask. The most expensive would probably be the Scubapro "frameless" and just as good. Either of these are also excellent freediving masks which is a common activity in southern waters. Bring mask cleaner-new masks are devilish to defog.

Think about the amount of swimming in tropical waters. The Apollo "bio fin" will reduce air use, especially when swimming upstream. These are costly, look for discount. The sizes run large, so be careful. Find a cheap pair of boots and cut them to slipper size. Reduces leg buoyancy and slip on quickly. Off the shelf booties are also available.

Get a streamlined snorkel and wear on the left side of head or carry in some sort of holster while on SCUBA.

If you carry a spear, I recommend the JBL travel spear which collapses by unscrewing the segments. The JBL barbed three prong head is the best in the business.

The Trident "yellow" goodie bag is excellent for lobsters, etc.

Good luck.

Hi Devjr,

Fins, mask, and snorkel (and a few other things) I already have from when I signed up for certification. But a lobster bag, hm.....

Sunshine :)

Originally posted by devjr
Namely, the most important pieces of gear; mask, fins and snorkel...

Congratulations on your purchases. Now make sure to take proper care of your investment and it will last you years and sure you well. Happy diving……..

……. Arduous ……

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom