GUE Fundies class report, days 1 and 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mruseless

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
GUE Fundies class report, days 1 and 2.

My wife and I are taking GUE Fundies with Rob Calkins at Flatirons Scuba in Colorado. Neither of us had experience with a BP/W or long hose, so we were expecting a steep learning curve. Add to that the demands on buoyancy and trim and who knows what would happen :D We have about 250 dives each, and training up through PADI Rescue. We take our diving seriously, and have spent a lot of time working on trim and bouyancy so at least we were in a good position to learn.

I was using a rental steel backplate and Shelley was using aluminum. Both of use were diving wet in 5mm suits. There was another gentleman in class with us, who had completed Fundies about 4 years ago with a Rec Pass and was returning for a run at his Tech Pass. It was fun watching him and Rob in their doubles and observing the differences in required skills.

Day 1, Lectures and Land Drills.

Hoo-boy, long day, 9am to almost 7pm. All good material, and we asked lots of questions. Rob kept it fun, and really brought out the points that were difficult to get from the reading. Doing the worksheets before class was an exercise in pain, especially since there were a lot of typos in the worksheets (downloaded from the GUE website. You would think that an agency that has such demanding standards could at least fix the typos). But Rob did a great job of breaking it down and explaining things. We got though 4 of the 6 modules on Day 1 as well as land drills for Basic 5, S-Drill, and modified S-Drill.

Day 2, Pool work, video debrief, and more lectures.

Also a long day, but slightly more relaxed than Day 1. After the pool work we did a video debrief and finished the lectures. Here are some of my comments on our learning experience for the pool work on Day 2.

Trim and Buoyancy: Surprisingly good! I guess our previous work on being horizontal paid off. Both Shelley and I were able to get into good trim, fully horizontal, and stay that way through about 80% of the skills work. Still? No. Horizontal? Yes.

Basic Propulsion: Frog, modified Frog, Flutter, Modified Flutter. No problems there, except Shelley had a "lazy leg" that only did a half frog once in a while. Helicopter turns were good but Shelley's lazy leg came into play again :) I found that I can go in one direction much easier than the other. Both of us were able to maintain good trim while kicking.

Back kicks: Haha, that was fun and frustrating both. I had a little bit of a back kick before class, but it only seemed to show up about one in every 3 kicks. Shelley was doing "the crawdad" (backing upwards). Lots more practice needed.

Basic 5: Got through number 3 with minimal problems, but needs some more polish. Numbers 4 and 5 went okay for me, but Shelley did the classic big breath when taking off her mask. Almost corked, but managed to keep from breaking the surface. Need more practice!

S-Drill: We laughed a lot at our video. A couple bad screw ups, mainly due to unfamiliarity with the hose routing. More land drills and pool practice needed. 2nd and 3rd attempts were MUCH better. Buoyancy and trim remained pretty good, not great. A little upward movement when things didn't go as planned :) Also, we all sometimes forgot to "clean up" and clip off the long hose when not in use.

SMB deployment: More practice needed, like everything else. I have shot an SMB many times, and I still needed to do it 3 times to get everything right. Kept forgetting steps like looking up to the left and right. I also was trying to figure out how to inflate it. I used to use an air2 and inflate with that, but with this config I decided to inflate with my primary (SMB is closed with a one-way bottom opening).

I was using some new fins, Hollis F1's. Great kickers, but too heavy. At the very end of the day I traded with Shelley who uses Mares Quattros. HUGE difference! Suddenly I can stay horizontal with almost no movement. Wish I would have gotten a pair of those! Shelley was head-heavy, but my Hollis fins were too big for her. She ended up buying a pair of small Jetfins. If those work for her, I will get her Quattro's, yeah! That could be the first time I've ever gotten gear hand-me-downs from my wife. Usually it goes the other way.:D

I liked the BP/W so much that I bought one at the end of the day (student discount!) Shelley and I plan to practice in the pool several times prior to our open water dives on the 28th and 29th of September. Shelley seems to think a Provisional is in her future, mainly because of her troubles with the SMB and mask removal. I think we can both get a Rec Pass but we will have to put in quite a bit of practice before the 28th.

I did video support for a Fundies class here in Seattle on Sunday, and it could have been yours by report! Lazy feet (was it her left?) are not rare, and just take time to retrain the patterns. Breath control is the center of buoyancy for everybody, and again, it comes with practice.

Did your wife end up feeling the class was worthwhile? As I recall from your post about signing up for it, she felt as though, if you weren't going to pass, the experience wouldn't be worth the money.

She definitely thinks it's worth it now, and appreciates the skill work. However, she is still not 100% convinced about the equipment configuration. This weekend we are going to get in the pool not only for practice, but also so she can directly compare her Zeagle LaZer with her rental backplate/wing. Our previous setup was going down the road of minimizing hoses with a Zeagle Octo-Z (Air2). She wants to switch to a long hose primary, definitely sees the benefit there, but doesn't necessarily think that the DIR setup is "more streamlined" than her old rig.

I think it's good that we had Days 1 and 2 separated from Days 3 and 4. This gives us a chance to practice.

She wants to switch to a long hose primary, definitely sees the benefit there, but doesn't necessarily think that the DIR setup is "more streamlined" than her old rig.

You have to remember that streamlining is only one of the goals of the DIR/GUE configuration, and its very likely if anyone is already diving in a minimalist configuration your profile wont change much.

"Based on the concept of minimalism and streamlining, the GUE diving system is a standardized equipment configuration used to maximize safety, efficiency, and familiarity."

I'm pretty sure it was TSandM that had written else were, one for the great benefits of diving with a standardized equipment configuration is being able to be buddied up with another like minded diver and knowing where everything is, if required.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it was TSandM that had written else were, one for the great benefits of diving with a standardized equipment configuration is being able to be buddied up with another like minded diver and knowing where everything is, if required.

Good point! I'll bring this up with her.

You have to remember that streamlining is only one of the goals of the DIR/GUE configuration, and its very likely if anyone is already diving in a minimalist configuration your profile wont change much.

"Based on the concept of minimalism and streamlining, the GUE diving system is a standardized equipment configuration used to maximize safety, efficiency, and familiarity."

And to extend this, as your diving advances things remain the same (or very nearly the same). Kit is added in general. I.e. going to doubles, hoses pretty much route the same, as they apply to your basic S-Drill type skills (Valve Drill of course is different). Similar ideas are behind how stage/deco bottles are handled as well.

Well, and of course, if you travel to areas where other GUE divers are, you will be diving with people whose gear you understand . . . and may not have to travel with much, if any of your own. I wrote last year about Diver0001 coming to visit us, and traveling from the Netherlands with nothing but his mask. That's the kind of thing that is possible, when you have a heavily standardized gear arrangement.

Good thoughts! I wonder the number of GUE Fundies certified divers that never go on to Cave or Tech training. Shelley has no interest in that, and my interest could be described as weak at best. I like the configuration, and it makes sense to us, but I doubt we would see the benefits of standardization since almost everyone we dive with has different gear (except standardization between ourselves, which is a benefit).

On the flip side, I have several other friends who were interested in taking Fundies with us but could not for timing reasons. Perhaps they will see us diving this way (both gear and style, and doing S drills, etc) and decide to join us.

You may also find that you become increasingly interested in diving with GUE divers. That is how it happened for me. I used to dive with a lot of different folks with all kinds if gear configuration. But now 99% of my diving happens with other GUE divers. We have a good community here in Vancouver which helps, but really I do it because I have much better and more fun dives when I go out with other GUE folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom