I did it! - Bought first set of gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SunshineFish

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Woo-hoo! :dance:

Knees and hands still shaking from experience - could it be joy? or realization that a huge responsibility is now upon me as the proud parent of new gear? yikes!

The delusion: I only meant to "look" at the equipment. See and ask questions, not buy. I knew what I basically wanted in terms of quality and budget but wasn't prepared to spend the money just yet.

The scene: First the wetsuit went on. Ugh - couldn't breathe. Then another - ooh, so comfortable, "Can I wear this out of the store?" Next came the BCs. I tried on a couple but only one would fit me. Then came the reg. As the one I wanted was out of stock (Genesis GS2000), I had to choose another but they gave it to me for the same price. Hope it was a good choice.

The purchases:
(I plan to dive mostly in tropical waters)
Genesis Athena - in sunshine yellow :)
Oceanic D3/PX2
Sherwood Octo (standard)
Genesis std depth gauge with compass
Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm
Suunto Mosquito

I bought all this at Leisure Pro. I have to say that the service was excellent (I had to go after work and stayed well past closing), the sales guy was very knowledgeable (as he should be), and was patient with me when I bombarded him with all my questions.

Sunshine :ko:

Hey Sunshine Fish,
By the looks of it you did a great job on your recent purchases. I myself use Genesis, or Sherwood for that matter, equipment and I feel that THEIR STUFF is well made aaaaaaaand SAFE. Now you can go and try it out as I know you are probably eager to do so.

Scubakid

A big congrats on the gear purchase! :bounce:

Now you only need to settle on where to use it. Any thoughts for your first warm water trip with your new gear? :)

Wahey! Sunshine, I had the same experience with my BC. I went to get a price and came home with an empty wallet. My knees were pretty wobbly afterwards too.

Buying a reg has been more difficult... so far I have been into the dive shop three times (plus I went to three others before I settled on a brand). Hopefully I will get my hands on one on Friday (I think the guy in the shop hopes this even more than I do).

Have a great time with all your new gear!

Zept

"only meant to look" - yeah, right. Who were you trying to kid?

Remember - SCUBA is a Credit Card Intensive Sport....

I use Quicken for my home finances. A few weeks ago, I made the mistake of clicking the mouse a few times, to come up with just exactly what we've spent (remember - we're buying for 2!) at the LDS since we started in October. OUCH!!! Some things are better left undiscovered!

But I must say, diving with your own gear gives you an incredible level of comfort. Just 5 or 6 fewer things to worry about. And even with less than 20 dives under our weight belts, SCUBA is deffinately worth it!

Have Fun, Dive Safe,

Scuba-sass :)

....The Cayman's!
Originally posted by Drew Sailbum
A big congrats on the gear purchase! :bounce:

Now you only need to settle on where to use it. Any thoughts for your first warm water trip with your new gear? :)

Congrats on the gear - makes it seem more real when it takes up space in your own bedroom!

(I'm thinking that that 3mm might be a wee bit cold when you come up here for some ice diving tho' :D )

I recently got a chance to try one - I think you will really enjoy it!

I also think the Mosquito is one of the coolest scuba "toys" I have seen.

Congrats!

Hope you'll have a lot of opportunities to use the gear.

It all looks pretty nice.

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.

Ari =-)

Congratulations. It sure does feel good to have all your own stuff, Doesn't it? :dance:

Scuba_sass,

I have a folder full of all the reciepts for my gear and my wifes. I have not, and I will not total it. I don't want to know. I don't want her to know either as there is still more that I want/need. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom