I can't find a DSMB that I really like

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mares DSMB fills most of the criteria
Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a closed-bottom Mares DSMB, and I quite like both its construction and low-profile OPV, but the open-bottom unit on the Mares website is not quite there. The pictured one lacks a chemstick sleeve and a bottom weight. Perhaps yours is slightly different from the model in the photo?

Maybe you can DIY some of the features yourself to a off the shelve product?
Shouldn't be too hard to do
Yes and no. Attaching a nylon mesh pouch is probably do-able, but attaching a chemstick sleeve would require sewing, and I'm leery of punching holes in the DSMB's main chamber. The biggest challenge would be changing the OPV; installing a new one would require major surgery, and I don't know of a low-profile OPV top that would mate successfully with the male threads on a high-profile OPV.

I agree not all the items on your checklist in one product, but did you look at DAN? They have a great DSMB. Has a lot of what you are asking

The expression “It’s the painter not the brush” or “It’s the archer not the arrow” comes to mind.

Perhaps look more at how well you can adapt your skills and/or make your desired modifications to a few proven DSMBs rather than searching fruitlessly for the perfect DSMB. If I were in your shoes, I might favor going with a vetted product and modify it rather than getting into design machinations with aliexpress.

YMMV but I do wish you fun in your quest.

i would go Halycon. you could always add the (in my opinion) the unnecessary mesh pocket and glow thing.... <TG>

I agree not all the items on your checklist in one product, but did you look at DAN? They have a great DSMB. Has a lot of what you are asking
I've got an older DAN DSMB, and you're correct. It's super-bulky, though, and it has a few drawbacks (V-straps, velcro closure, no bottom weight). I need something that fits easily into a drysuit pocket and leaves room for other gear.

Given the requests... let's look at this another way.

Open bottom / baffle for us (my shop and retail) is a no go. if you dive in current you'll quickly realize why. Water can EASILY rush in, gas comes out, you're on a hang, and next thing you know it's coming down back toward you again. Sure, exhausting bubbles in it seems cool, but it's not worth the disadvantage mentioned.

It goes without saying that needing a weight on the bottom is also disingenuous. Why? You already have tension created with the line, so keep your left arm relaxed from body and hold tension on it. You can easily do it in high current, or steady waters. Just don't let more line out than you need.

The XDEEP SMB already has a pocket for chem light. if you don't like that one, you can EASILY sew into the edges of ANY SMB that isn't a fold over (piping only on one side). Where else do you think the stitches go? SMB's are sealed using an RF weld, so the weld is extremely strong. a good smb will be welded in parallel. Stitch outside of that. The chem light pocket is also big enough to roll a wet-note sheet and place it in.

Every SMB that exists you can add a second bungee to it. If it has velcro, cut the crap off. Yes, velcro to hold an SMB is crap. Double bungees are inexpensive, and best IMHO (having owned and deployed dozens of different MFG products). RE: Metal inflator, you can always add shrink tubing over it if you choose (like I do to mine). This allows you to bite if you like, or chew on metal when bored on a deco/safety stop.

Don't overthink it. They are not a lifelong product. They are a cheap investment (less than $80) to ensure you are found, create a reference to surface, use as a redundant bladder, tie up your buddy and clip him to a wreck with an identifier for PSD divers, etc.

I'm close to your specs with the OMS 6ft model.

I sewed a loop of flat webbing at the top and keep a lightweight strobe tied off there. Personally, I think the chem-lite is dated but if I join a team and that's what they use I'll get on board.

You can cut off the velcro straps.

The OMS is still a miss because the OPV is small. I remember @custureri commenting that it means it requires a one off set of replacement parts. I agree with him but I had the OPV of two xDeep DSMBs wear a hole in the SMB because of the large OPV so there's a trade off.

Did you look at AP over in England?

TECLINE in Poland?

How wide is the oms

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom