(Brainstorming) DIY Handheld Scuba-Object Retainers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About $12 later, I have 1500 tiny pieces of metal to get lost in my carpet!

edit: Do I need the pliers? Or will just any pliers do about as well as the ones made for hog-rings?
You can get an adequate pair at Harbor Freight. Trying to do very many with regular pliers is quite frustrating.

@SlugMug you need stainless, galvanized will not be good, and get the pliers. Rings are sized for the size of the rope/bungee/etc you are clamping together, so 1/8" bungee would use 1/8" rings. You can usually get away with up or down 1/16, but I wouldn't try to use 1/4" rings on 1/8" bungee

Re, the flashlight. I tie a boltsnap to the light and wear a Livestrong-style rubber cause bracelet on my wrist. You can make a bungee bracelet if you can't find a cause bracelet in your favorite color :)

The boltsnap is either clipped off to a chest d-ring or to the bracelet.

Reactions: Zef
I use big O-rings as a bracelet and clip off to that sometimes.

Reactions: Zef
@SlugMug you need stainless, galvanized will not be good, and get the pliers. Rings are sized for the size of the rope/bungee/etc you are clamping together, so 1/8" bungee would use 1/8" rings. You can usually get away with up or down 1/16, but I wouldn't try to use 1/4" rings on 1/8" bungee
I ordered some 3/8, before your response. I was able to squeeze 2x 1/4 bungee through it, but it was slightly too big for 2x 1/8th bungee or paracord.

I tried to find 1/4 or 3/16 inch or smaller stainless-steel hog-rings, but couldn't find them at the usual places I look. If someone can link me to a vendor with reasonable priced ones, that would be appreciated.

You won't find a more professional company than Sailrite

The price per unit was starting to get high enough I could just tie a knot instead. However, I also just had an idea and tried it, and it works great. It's not as convinent as a 1/4 inch or 3/16 hog-ring, but the 3/8ths S.S. hog rings are much cheaper and can be found in bulk (500/ $19 or 3.8¢/ea versus about 15¢/ea).

Type 1: (1) Take one end of the paracord/bungee, insert, wrap around and insert again into the hog-clamp. (2) Take the other strand and insert it once. (3) You should have 3x strands of 1/8th passing through the ring. (4) Now camp.

Type 2: (1) Double-wrap the first strand in the hog-ring as described before. (2) Double-wrap the 2nd strand. (3) You should have 4x strands of 1/8th passing through the ring. (4) Now camp. Type 1 is secure, but Type 2 is definitely not slipping even under extreme force. Photo attached.

The above is still quicker, easier, cleaner, and more precise than me tying a similarly knot.

Attachments

• 20210608_235559_HDR - Copy.jpg
    20210608_235559_HDR - Copy.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 112
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom