I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pettyfan45

Contributor
Reaction score
HI all, I live in Northwestern Missouri and we don't really have anywhere to go SCUBA Diving locally ( I think the closest is Beaver Lake in Arkansas but that is still a 5 hour drive).

I have cerebral palsy, though I am not wheelchair bond, I can't drive because of it. It causes me difficulty standing, walking, as well as my leg muscles are fairly weak and in chronic pain. I am not sure I would be able to walk with all the gear on me. Also I am not great at swimming, looking at the PADI recommendations I don't know if I could swim the 200m they would require. I also have severe ADHD, but whether or not that's an issue might just depend on the instructor. I learn better by doing and having written material to refer to as a opposed to long verbal explanations.

I realize wanting to become certified SCUBA Dive might be dumb for someone in my situation to try and get certified when I might only be able to dive maybe once every few years (if i can even get certified at all), but it would be nice to have something in wallet that shows I can do more than just spend my life looking at my computer screen.

You don't know until you try.

For you the easiest part would be once you get into and under the water. The weightlessness of diving would be a fantastic experience given your limitations and pain levels.

The problem with your area is that any diving would be cold water diving so you're dealing with a heavy wetsuit or a dry suit and gloves and more equipment and worse water conditions than you would in a southern location.

If you travel occasionally consider a "Discover Scuba" class at a tropical resort somewhere. Or at least try snorkeling on a shallow reef. That's how lots of people get started in the sport.

I have have heard of Diveheart but I thought they were just more like a Discover Scuba thing and not really getting certifications

I'm concerned that you're doing this "For the C-Card" which you will be proud to carry in your wallet.

I get that we measure our progress in life by our diplomas, licenses, trophies, etc. But don't scuba dive just to have another notch in your belt. Do it because you like it or because it helps you with your disability. Given the expense, the time, and the inconvenience due to need to travel, the only way to really know is to give it a trial run.

I'm concerned that you're doing this "For the C-Card" which you will be proud to carry in your wallet.

I get that we measure our progress in life by our diplomas, licenses, trophies, etc. But don't scuba dive just to have another notch in your belt. Do it because you like it or because it helps you with your disability. Given the expense, the time, and the inconvenience due to need to travel, the only way to really know is to give it a trial run.

Fair enough.

I think Diveheart will be your best bet.

If you want to enroll in an open water certification course, you will need your doctor to sign off on it. Will your doctor be willing to sign off?

Zillions of people only dive a few times a year, or less. Do you have pool access? Let’s assume you’re going to start out slow. You can get into a pool, and put the gear on in the pool where it’s nearly weightless. See if you like it. Some love it, some are claustrophobic.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom