So, where have I been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not exactly an appropriate thread for the A&I forum, but as much as I post in the forum some have wondered why I stopped suddenly. I trust the Mods will move this to a more fitting forum. It's a long story, but I've spent most of the last three months in Lubbock hospitals. I had my phone with me, later my dying laptop as well, but just was not up to posting, much less searching for stories we might learn from. I left that to other members here until tonight. Some were posted already but I went thru Google searches for Scuba and Diver in News for the last three months and found several more. I posted without order so do look over my last dozen A&I threads.

For those who want to know what it takes to sideline me, there were two problems with symptoms starting last spring but made more evident after I fell off a ladder onto my concrete patio along with some poor decisions on my part. My nephew rescued me at home after I missed several calls, and loaded me onto the first of several ambulance rides, and I soon found myself at the Lubbock Heart Hospital where I had two stents installed in my left leg. After a few days there and a few more at a rehab hospital, I went home to new adventures. A few days later and after missing several birthday calls and texts, neighbors came to ask if I was okay? "No! Call 911 to break in" I had fallen asleep with my body crushing my arm onto my phone in my pocket leaving it immobile and me unable to roll off of the couch for several long hours. The backdoor was left unlocked tho so they soon had me up and onto another ambulance ride to the local hospital, then on to Lubbock's Covenant. After a few days in inpatient, then a few more in a rehab hospital, they were unable to diagnose the new problem so I was sent to an Infectious Disease doctor who thought that my knee needed to be cleaned out.

Surgery followed the next morning, then more inpatient days, then back to the second rehab hospital to greet staff members who agreed that I looked healthier, followed by a couple of weeks of therapy and a long series of IV antibiotics. I am hazy on details and actual days as it was really a blur for me. My daughter was my champion taking many days off to oversee my treatments while also having to organize her mother's funeral. She now takes off for all of my doctor visits, and I do have several new doctors to keep up with.

I am home again with a new laptop I am learning, struggling some, but better than I have been recently. Well, if I had known how long I was going to live I might have taken better care, but I am what I am. At least I quit smoking finally.

The rehab hospital couldn't let me have a day pass to drive to the centerline and view the solar eclipse at its best, but we had a viewing of the partial eclipse at least.

Sorry to hear about the bad run. God speed on your recovery!

Falling off of my walker once was enough to teach me to be more careful, but I am still having issues when I first stand up. My O2 levels always tested in the 90+% levels the hundred or so times I was tested now that I don't smoke and have learned to take deep breaths even while laying in bed during the tests, but I am still getting dizzy at times when I stand to get on the walker. I remind myself to take a few deep breaths before getting up. Something to discuss with my PT tomorrow I suppose.

You on heart meds or blood thinners?
Oh, yeah. So those can lead to that huh? It's probably listed in the medicine warnings but and side effects, but that's pretty common.

Talk to your doctor about it!
I have a large collection. Any particular field?

I always stop and wait when I feel lightheaded. I'll look at my walker trying to remember where the go button is, then feel pretty dumb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom