Hyperstrech or regular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Actually I've got a pair of Henderson Hyperstretch gloves also (3mm). They fit great, but they aren't all that warm. I don't think the warmth is all related to the thickness though.

If you don't move your hands, they'll stay a little warmer. If you move your hands much, you can feel water coming in around the seams. So I'm not all that impressed in these gloves from a "warmth" point of view, but they fit really good.

They work great for deep sea fishing (from boat) in the Atlantic during the winter time. You wan wear them and they have enough flexibility and grip that you can bait hooks with the gloves on... so I like them for that. But for diving.... if you get below about 65f, I'd like a better performing pair of gloves.

I think Henderson has found that solution with the "insta-dry" gloves. Folks I've talked to that have dove those have said the 3mm Insta-dry is twice as warm as the 3mm hyperstretch.

I've worn them down to 100 fsw here in the winter, and you're right, I do get pretty cold. I have carpal tunnel in both hands, which means I'm lacking in dexterity to begin with before I put on bulky gloves, so I love that I can actually do things with these gloves, which makes the cold worthwhile. I think I might upgrade to the 5 mils before next winter. I really, really like the stretch. :)

My sister bought a pair of the insta dry gloves (5 mil) and thinks they're way better than anything else she's tried on, for both warmth and dexterity. They were a size too small for me, so I can't really compare.

Bare are good, I liked them better than Henderson, but Oceaneer and Pinnacle are my favorites. Both are relatively hard to find near me. Pinnacle is big in Hawaii, (so big many shops there don't sell anything but them now), but haven't seen a shop that carried them since I moved.

Penopolypants:
I've worn them down to 100 fsw here in the winter, and you're right, I do get pretty cold. I have carpal tunnel in both hands, which means I'm lacking in dexterity to begin with before I put on bulky gloves, so I love that I can actually do things with these gloves, which makes the cold worthwhile. I think I might upgrade to the 5 mils before next winter. I really, really like the stretch. :)

My sister bought a pair of the insta dry gloves (5 mil) and thinks they're way better than anything else she's tried on, for both warmth and dexterity. They were a size too small for me, so I can't really compare.

The Inst-Dry gloves are only about $15 bucks more than the hyperstretch. If they fit you're hands well, then they are definately worth the extra few bucks over the hyperstretch.

Sicel1304:
I need your opinions on this one.
Is the hyperstrech material geared more towards mildly overweight people? I don't plan on doing any cold-water diving, I don't know if that would impact my purchase choice any. Thanks for your input!

First I consider you right about cold water diving. There is no free lunch in this life. A suit that is very stretchy will also compress more with depth and with compression of the gas bubbles goes your warmth. Furthermore if you start with 7mm and stretch it (up to 250!) guess what? It's not going to be 7mm thick anymore. Last but not least many have thinner sleeves which is a huge mistake IMO. In any sort of colder water hands are often the first to go. If you are diving in decent form your arms are pretty much still and they will get cool. Cool arms make cold hands. So if you are not that concerned about cold a good 5mm suit may be a good choice and you can dive with less weight. I can't speak for what you typically need in your Missouri waters.

Are they for overwieight people? That's is certainly a market they cultivate. If you are not an off the rack person then a custom is a better solution. For the premium price of a hyperstretch you are getting close to even money.

I dive extensively in 7mm and there is nothing crippling about. It may seem heavy hot and stiff the first time you get into it but it soon becomes a non issue. The right suit for the dive.

Bare has an extensive range of sizes and there may be something there for you. Check them out. My Arctic is a very comfortable suit. A nice compromise at your lattitude may be one of the Velocity suits. These have some strategically located stretch panels while maintaining as much highly effective material as possible.

Pete

I have three Hendersons, a couple 3's and a five for winter when it can get down to 72 F. They are very comfortable and fit well. It is true that they do not wear as long and get compressed a bit. I love wearing the Henderson hooded vest underneath...so I don't get too cold. They are a bit pricey but I have washed them on gentle cycle and even dried them on low heat in the dryer and it seemed to fluff them up and revive the cells a bit?? Pinnacles are just too hard to get on for me....I feel I must hurry at times to get the bouy or help somebody else, so getting in and out is important for me. Going up and down 15 pounds does not seem to change the fit... I like them a lot and order them onlone from LP or Scubatoys for the best price. Shops have them marked up a lot. Their hooded vest cannot be beat, IMO because the hyperstretch makes for a VERY good fit on your head and is vented at the top, making for an unrestricted fit.

catherine96821:
I have three Hendersons, a couple 3's and a five for winter when it can get down to 72 F.

Catherine - I hereby extend an official invitation to come visit us back here in Wreck Valley in April for the first dive of the season when the water is about 40F.

:)

he he....I don't do that ****.

In fact, I am not sure I could be a diver in a drysuit! Sounds like a whole new ballgame. I hear you have some nice wrecks up there though! Okay, I will "think about it". ...shiver...shiver.

I have a 3mm Henderson for tropical and a 7/5mm for local diving. I really like them both.

Most of our dives this summer have been in upper 50's temps at depth. The lowest was 55 at 60 ft.

I don't get cold easily, so I've been comfortable with the 7/5. My wife adds an additional 5mm Henderson core to her 7mm.

Everybody is different as far as needs, but in comfort Henderson is the best I've worn.

Ok...so from what you guys have been telling me, my best bet would probably be to go with a Henderson Hyperstrech in the long run?

BTW, I would like to lose around 20 or 30 pounds...that would take me down to about 175 pounds. Would a Henderson Hyperstrech XL be a little "loose" on me IF I even get down to that weight?

Kind regards,
Les

I second the earlier opinion, go with what FEELS GOOD and don't look at the price tag too hard. My first suit 9 years ago I went custom-fit in order to get it comfy. But it's too thin for life on the Left Coast so I had to UGH go suit-shopping again a task I HATE!!! The worst part is most shops don't understand you need an A/C vent going FULL BLAST into the fitting room otherwise your customers may expire from heat trying on the suit.

I think Henderson is over-hyped, they are the "Xerox" of the type. Do you buy a copier from Xerox anymore if you want the best? No you don't. There are plenty of other people making "stretchy" neoprene, some of them better. I have an AquaLung and I love it. I tried on a bunch of suits at a number of shops and this was the one that said "yes, take me home".

For me in California 55F degree water, a thick neoprene suit is a hassle and anything to make that suit more comfortable is well worth it. I just use a hooded vest with mine and I'm good.

On the other hand a buddy of mine just happened to find a $25 used old neoprene farmer-john&shorty setup that fit perfectly and is comfortable with that. Often the worst thing about suits is finding a good fit, particularly with the chicas it's a big problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom