Hyperstrech or regular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely agree that you should try on as many suits as you can before buying. Buy the one that is most comfortable for you and your body type. I have 2 Hyperstretch suits and don't see myself ever owning anything else because they are super easy to put on and take off, it's the most comfortable suit I've ever put on, and you can lose and gain up to 20# and still fit in the suit! :wink:

I respectfully disagree that the Hyperstretch suits are "overhyped" as before I bought mine I literally tried on every stretchy and non-stretchy suit in S. Florida before purchasing. At that time (2 years ago) there was nothing that compared in comfort and ease to the Hyperstretch IMO.

I LOVE my 3mm Hyperstretch. I'm 5'2, 130# - love the easy on/off. I use it here in tropical waters though sometimes I do get chilled in thermoclines or depths below 25 meters. I also have a 7/7 mm F/J Henderson that is not hyperstretch...what a pain to get into even with a skin. If I ever need 7 mm again, I'll buy Hyperstretch again. There are more brands that have the comfort of 4-way stretch. My BF loves his Seaquest.

So my advise is figure out what you want, then hunt all over the internet for the best price. I got my 3mm Henderson on ebay from a reputable diveshop-authorized dealer (check out the seller before you buy) with overstock for $180 (including shipping) when my LDS was selling the same suit for $225. Not that I didn't want to support my LDS, but I'm on budget too. If the price difference isn't too much, your LDS might match the best price you find (I've done this with small stuff).

Here's my $0.02 advise: After you've done your homework & tried different gear as rentals, etc. then it's worth the investment of a few more $$, to get what you really want the first time out, than it is to settle for something you'll end up being unhappy with only to change it out before you get your money's worth from it.

catherine96821:
I hear you have some nice wrecks up there though! Okay, I will "think about it". ...shiver...shiver.

Yup - was on two of them today.

Gotta tell ya, I'm warmer here in NJ in 45deg water and a dry suit than I was in Kona with 75deg and a 3/4mm.

:)

Sicel1304:
BTW, I would like to lose around 20 or 30 pounds...that would take me down to about 175 pounds. Would a Henderson Hyperstrech XL be a little "loose" on me IF I even get down to that weight?

Never buy ANYTHING with the expectation/anticipation that you'll lose/gain weight - least of all a wetsuit.

Beyond the reallity-gap between the amount of weight we'd all LIKE to lose and how much we ACTUALLY lose, you just don't know how or where it's gonna come off.

Even if you knew for sure exactly how much weight you would lose and when, you still can't predict how something will fit.

I have a 7mil normal bare wetsuit that's a pain to get on, but was more in my price range. So, it's something that can be dealt with. On the flip side, buying a wetsuit now and a wetsuit later when you've lost alot of weight, will often be more expensive than buying one all around wetsuit.

When I got a hood though, I definatly went with hyperstretch, there's no other way in my opinion. It's very easy stuff put on and pull of.

RJP:
Yup - was on two of them today.

Gotta tell ya, I'm warmer here in NJ in 45deg water and a dry suit than I was in Kona with 75deg and a 3/4mm.

:)

I was in 50 degree water yesterday with a 7mil while both my buddies had on dry suits. I about froze and both of them were perfectly fine. :-(

Definitely the Henderson hyperstretch - you won't regret it! My dive buddy [who is also my hubby] wears xxl to xxxl, and after buying several different wetsuits, he purchased a Henderson Hyperstretch and now he wouldn't think of buying anything else. It wears well, is comfortable (per him) and he doesn't complain about it binding anywhere. Hope this helps.

DiveMaven:
I respectfully disagree that the Hyperstretch suits are "overhyped"

Let me be specific here in that I mean the Henderson "HyperStretch" is over-hyped, as if it were the only choice. They have that little term trademarked I believe. Do think they make these things from raw ingredients? No, they buy material and have it sewn together like anyone else these days. Plenty of companies buying stretchy neoprene same material, sewing it together different ways and extras, under other names.

The Auqualung suit for example has pre-bent legs and some other things about it, that seem better than the original Henderson suits. Henderson got fat quick on their idea and don't seem to have improved their suits in the last 5 years. AquaLung calls theirs "AquaFlex". Oh yeah the Aqualung was about $40 cheaper too.

I'm not Henderson-bashing here, just that if you want a suit of that type, you have lots of choices now. All should be checked out IMHO. Am I being nit-picky here? Yes perhaps, but I am trying to differrentiate so people know to check out all their "stretchy" options not just start at the rack with Hendersons and buy it if it fits.

Henderson Hyperstretch suits have the advantages of being easy to get on and of fitting a wide variety of body types. They have the disadvantages of being less durable (the hyperstretch neoprene compresses more quickly over time and they are very subject to pilling) and less warm. If you have to get Henderson - get a Gold Core if it fits you (you probably need to go up one size from the size you take in the Hyperstretch) - it is much warmer and more durable. My 5mm Gold Core was way warmer than my 7/5 Hyperstretch. The trick to getting Gold Cores on easily is to carry a little bottle of hair conditioner - squirt a little in each arm/leg and the torso and it'll slide on like buttah...

If you aren't trapped by local supply into buying Henderson you may want to look at Xcel's Vortex line of suits - they are very stretchy without the downsides of the Hyperstretch.

Jackie

I have a 3mm, 5mm, 7/5mm and 5mm core warmer, all hyperstretch. Hood too. Got rid of my neoprene scubapro wetsuit right after I got my first hyperstretch. Then started adding more to my scuba closet when I could. Love it. The allow a good fit, with flexibility. If you can't afford one, try the Aeris Rio wetsuit, they have stretchy parts in the areas that need to be stretchy. I haven't tried them but i've been looking at them.
crazyscuba.com has them.

They fit me in my hyperstretch and I LOVE my hyperstretch!

good luck!

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom