Hydro test Centers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got tired of One.. Two and sometimes Three week turn around times for getting tanks tested. The LDS blames the delays on the Testing Center. When I asked if he would use another center the conversation turned a little cold.
The other night I downloaded a list from the DOT and found a place right near my house that will Hydro and VIP/plus the tanks in only 3 days. Great to know for those tanks that sneak up on you. After all those numbers stamped on the tank lay in wait hiding until the last minute. $20.00 hydro $5.00 VIP
He will also VIP while you wait usually on Tuesday and Thursday.
This is just one example.

Find a Center Near You or find out who tested your tank by the ID number.

http://hazmat.dot.gov/exempapp/approvals/hydro/hydro_retesters.htm

Dectek:
I got tired of One.. Two and sometimes Three week turn around times for getting tanks tested. The LDS blames the delays on the Testing Center. When I asked if he would use another center the conversation turned a little cold.
The other night I downloaded a list from the DOT and found a place right near my house that will Hydro and VIP/plus the tanks in only 3 days. Great to know for those tanks that sneak up on you. After all those numbers stamped on the tank lay in wait hiding until the last minute. $20.00 hydro $5.00 VIP
He will also VIP while you wait usually on Tuesday and Thursday.
This is just one example.

Find a Center Near You or find out who tested your tank by the ID number.

http://hazmat.dot.gov/exempapp/approvals/hydro/hydro_retesters.htm

#1 those tanks should not SNEAK UP ON YOU!!!
You should be cognizant of when they are comming up for VIS or Hydro.
Also good idea is even if last one expires in middle of dive season, get it done early before the season starts. Getting the testing done in winter there is no need to "rush". And it still works out to a year for each VIS.

As for
When I asked if he would use another center the conversation turned a little cold.
, what u expect! Shops work years developing relationships with vendors, do u expect them to change just because you waited till the last minute!

$20.00 hydro $5.00 VIP
now add on $7 -$10 for fill, and it was no cheaper than dropping it off at the shop, only quicker, and u just eroded your relationship with the shop.

That tester, test all sorts of pressureized cylinders. They do not fill tanks with HP filtered breathing air (or enriched air). When your LDS is no longer there, where u gonna get those fills?

"That tester, test all sorts of pressureized cylinders. They do not fill tanks with HP filtered breathing air (or enriched air). When your LDS is no longer there, where u gonna get those fills?"

At LP when they start doing fills :)

Number 1 As you can see I was making a joke about the Hydro Stamp HIDING IN PLAIN SITE.
You know the figures that are looked at every time they fill the tanks.

Number 2 If you consider 3 weeks for a hydro a good relationship with both parties pointing the finger at the other....I would hate to have a "Good Relationship" with your local fire department.

When a dive shop sees that business is declining for tank testing after requests for faster service they should do something. I believe the smart ones will build "relationships" with other hydro facilities.

I keep hearing "What will you do when?". I think we should be asking them ..."What are you (LDS)going to do when.....WE stop paying high prices for bad service?"

Do you continue to go to the same restaurant over and over that charges $12.00 for a burger that takes half an hour or $10 for some eggs?... Boy that food sucked but we better keep paying those prices because the coffee is good here. "what will you do when this place closes and you can't get coffee ?" Remember when 7-11 was the place to get coffee? Well it sucked...That is why WAWA is so damn big today.

Dectek:
Number 1 As you can see I was making a joke about the Hydro Stamp HIDING IN PLAIN SITE.
You know the figures that are looked at every time they fill the tanks.

Number 2 If you consider 3 weeks for a hydro a good relationship with both parties pointing the finger at the other....I would hate to have a "Good Relationship" with your local fire department.

When a dive shop sees that business is declining for tank testing after requests for faster service they should do something. I believe the smart ones will build "relationships" with other hydro facilities.

I keep hearing "What will you do when?". I think we should be asking them ..."What are you (LDS)going to do when.....WE stop paying high prices for bad service?"

Do you continue to go to the same restaurant over and over that charges $12.00 for a burger that takes half an hour or $10 for some eggs?... Boy that food sucked but we better keep paying those prices because the coffee is good here. "what will you do when this place closes and you can't get coffee ?" Remember when 7-11 was the place to get coffee? Well it sucked...That is why WAWA is so damn big today.

The hydro man does not run into the shop every other day to pick up one tank. It is just not efficient!
I doubt you will see a decline in hydro business because it takes time to do the test.

While I wouldn't tell somone 3 weeks, I do say 2 weeks for hydro. That allows time for tank to be picked up, tested and then returned and then put back together and filled.
Would you be happier if u were told it will be ready in 3 weeks and actually was ready in one, or told it will be ready in one week and it was not ready for two?

I used Sea Safety on Wood Ave., Secaucus,NJ. They turned my tanks around in a few days. In one case it only took a few hours to complete the testing. The tanks, however, were not O2 cleaned. That was done during the VIP at the shop by the tech.

jbliesath:
Doesn't most LDS's charge you for a viz anyway, before they fill your tank? So, you are paying twice for that service....

Are you telling me that you let every shop that ever fills your tanks charge you for a VIP?.... No you are not... There is no reason a shop must insist that it is Their inspection sticker on the tank to do a fill. Otherwise you would never be able to get your tanks filled by more than one place. I could see these tanks looking like an old camper that has traveled the country with every square inch covered with stickers. If they insist on that then walk.

hambleto:
Quick question. Do hydro shops also O2 clean tanks when you take it to them for service?
Thank you,
Ben
I have not heard of this being a regular service. I will ask at the test center and a medical supply center because that raises a question in my mind. The retest centers also test O2 bottles for the Medical and Welding industry so somebody has to clean them. That is something I would personally have the LDS do if they would not accept the fact that my job was not good enough. I feel they have a leg to stand on when insisting that the proper O2 cleaning was done. It is their gas that is going in (countability)and their life when filling it. That is contrary to my beliefs about hydros (which they farm out anyway) and VIPs ( the hydro shop probably has more qualified techs. anyway)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom