Hydro Optix Mask worth the $200+?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On mine I'm pretty sure the coating is still there, just that it may not work as well with such a contrast in water/body temp and it's no big deal for me to use defog like I had to on my old regular mask
I hate contacts, I'm picky and I cant see as well with contacts as with my glasses , this is why I tried the mask, and after trying it, the cristal clarity of my vision was the selling point for me

I have one and I plan to buy another as back-up (It's that good). I was sold by the testimonials on their website (under visionaries). I'm so nearsighted I can use it without contacts, but the weak ones my doctor gave me make everything crystal clear. The increased field of view is the major plus towards safety and comfort. The higher air volume took a little pool time to get used to removing, donning, then clearing it. Then I passed my open water with it. It really paid off at Grand Turk when the visibility passed 100ft. I have a bushy mustache, but after a slight trim and some silicone gel, it's as air-tight as my old flat panel.
I feel it's the next generation of underwater vision. I have a lot of old out-moded equipment, and my flat-panel mask is soon to join the "museum". I highly recommend trying one.

I just acquired one of these and swapped my usual prescription mask (custom made by prescriptiondivemasks.com) for it for an afternoon of snorkeling, and I second what most of the folks here say. The optics are amazing! I really like being able to see so well, and the field of view and low distortion is amazing.

That said, this mask was the biggest pain to use that I've ever run across. It alternated between leaking and fogging (and every time I smiled it promptly flooded), to the point where my girlfriend was stopping me to ask if I could see anything as I swam along. She tried it and had a similar reaction, but really hated how poorly it fit. She might try again with a small-skirt version, but was pretty turned off by this one.

So, all in all, I'm really not sure if it was worth the money. I got a deal off craigslist for $100, and I'm still ambivalent. I've never done so many mask flood/clear drills before just to be able to see, but the seeing was good while it lasted.

Water temp ~83 deg. F, light current, little surge. Didn't take the mask below 6 fsw.

Last edited:
Let me be blunt, this mask is a pain in the ass. That being said, I would not dive with any other mask. The amount of field of view that you get is amazing. I spearfish and have found that this mask allows me shoot and judge fish size much more accurately than I ever could before.
I was born with a nerve defect in one eye leaving me essentially blind in that eye. This mask allows me to see so much more. I routinely see more fish than my buddies. The only down side of this is that I see a lot more sharks. I was diving on a an old army tank last year. We knew that there was another tank about 100ft from the one we were diving, but vis usually does not allow visualization between the two. I was able to clearly see the outline of the other tank where my buddie was not.
The mask leaks a little more that some others that I have used, but a close shave seems to make a huge difference here. The strap that comes on it is an expensive piece of crap. The thing fogs worse than any other mask I have ever used. The case and other accessories are a waste of time/ space in my opinion. The lens is easily scratched, and the neoprene cover (the only usefull accessory) unraveled at the seems after a few uses. The case is just too big carry around all the time. The water collects in the curve of the lens so when it leaks a puddle can form and really get on your nerves.
Despite its problems, this mask has positivly affected my enjoyment of diving more so that any other piece of equipment that I have acquired in my 20+ years diving.
I wish that there was a mirrored lens option, that would really make this a secret
weapon for the avid spearfisherman,

Here's my experience with these. I have to say I really, really wanted to love them. Normally, I wear contacts under a regular mask so I can see perfect walking to the dive site, through the surf, etc. So that was the first negative with this mask, I have only -1.50 so it's not quite enough to use the mask. To use them, I had to go buy some +1.50 contacts to purposely make my vision even worse, so there went 50 bucks. Btw, if anyone wants a month's supply of Acuevue Daily Moist, +1.50, 8.4 diameter let me know :) Have an almost full box just sitting around now.

If I was doing mostly boat dives, no big deal but I absolutely hated walking down the steps to the beach, esp for night dives and not being able to see more than a couple feet ahead clearly. Plus the extra step of taking off my regular contacts, washing my hands, and than putting on the +1.50 contacts, just another 10-15 minutes in prep time.

Now when it came to the actual dive, I have to say they do work and once underwater, everything is crystal clear but unfortunately they leaked like a sieve. I tried all the tricks, using silicone on the purge valves, replacing the useless neoprene strap with the superior silicone one for a tighter fit, and completely getting rid of any facial hair. Only on one dive did it barely leak and that was AWESOME but for that one good dive, the other 10 dives were a pain in the a**, constantly have to clear it.

In the end, I sold it on Ebay to some guy in Portugal and got most of my money back. If they actually didn't leak and fog like crazy, I might have kept them but just too much trouble in the end. I really wish they would offer a model without the purge valves, I've never had any problems clearing a regular mask and it would eliminate two failure points.

From the website, I see they have a 3.5DD model coming that I could use without any contacts, I might be willing to give those a shot again but seems like they keep getting delayed, first they were coming in 2008, than 2009 and last I checked mid 2010. Apparently some type of lawsuit, patent issue, etc.......too bad, I can see the huge benefits and want to make it work, maybe in the long run they'll perfect the design but for now happy with my cheap $40 mask.

Hope that helps and doesn't sound negative, just my experience and if they work for you without leaking or fogging, you're very lucky and enjoy!

Robert

I got mine free under the Vista program when they first came out. At first, I needed the weak contacts for it to work, but I was already a contact wearer, so no problem. As I have gotten older, it now works very well with no contacts. Much cheaper thatn the custom bifocal mask I would otherwise need, even at $200. I have tried a flat mask and bifocal contacts, but have decided to stick with the HydroOptix instead from now on...

Just my $.02 :)

Rusty

I've had my 4.5D version since 2003 and used it on many snorkeling/diving trips. I found an optometrist in my area who had one before buying it and he lent it to me for the weekend to give it a try (he hadn't even opened it yet). I fell in love with expanded field of view. My vision is around -4.0 and pretty even in both eyes, so I can dive w/o contacts just fine.

Like others say though, this mask can be a PITA. Fogs like crazy... I always use defog and it still starts in a bit towards the end of the dive. If I've kept water out of the mask and it still has that coating on, it's manageable. The mask does leak from time to time, mostly at the bottom where the purge valves are. It's a pain when you're above something looking down and water rolls down into the dome.

The other issue I've had with this mask is the nose bridge--it's a bit shallow for someone with a prominent bridge, and can end up pressing into your face if you don't keep the mask equalized properly. Even with these shortcomings, I still use it today though.

One thing to note is that the optical correction does not work above water. You'll be useless for spotting the boat or markers unless you use the snap-on glasses (I don't bother, heh).

By the way, for those waiting for the 3.5DD version should just forget it. That model has been on their website for 7 years (I remember wondering if I should pick up that version when I purchased in 2003).

Oh.... you can do a distinctive speciality on the mask! ha ha ha

dive_mask_PADI_logo.jpg

Personally, I don't like the way that the HydroOptix marketeers make a connection between 'situational awareness' and vision. Awareness is not controlled by your eyes... it's about your brain. That strikes me as false advertising. It's missrepresenting the mask as a safety innovation.

For me, I wouldn't spend $200+ on a mask. I just wouldn't.

If you've got sufficient cash to spend on this (and still get everything else you want in life), then it's a fair purchase for you. But don't buy the mask if you think it'll increase your safety... and don't buy the mask because you think you need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom