Hydro Optix Mask worth the $200+?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one 'til it turned up missing off the boat. It got to where I wasn't using it, simply because of fit. I had one with the original mask skirt, which frankly is made for larger or asian faces, not medium faces. Since it's a dome, any leakage will pool up more or less in the middle of where you are looking unless you are looking near horizontal. In my case, this made for a lot of clearing, which made for a lot of fogging up. The materials they use fog much more readily than glass, but if you can get a good fit so you don't have to continuously clear the mask, gel defog does a great job.

I do want to try the smaller skirt they have now sometime, as the mask does do what they claim for visibility. If the fit was good for me, eliminating the major leakage, I'd be diving it. I also thought I noticed one other benefit I hadn't noticed mentioned by the company... maybe the ten days or so I used it were much clearer and brighter than any over my other 1000+ days in the water here, but colors seemed slightly brighter and more vivid on those dives. If I do get another, I'm going to have to do mask swaps during the dive to see if I notice a difference. If so, it's got to be something to do with more light getting to your eye at once.

If you're near sighted, and fit within a certian vision range where you don't have to wear contacts to wear the mask, it would be a great concept. However, if you have to wear contacts to wear a mask, seems logical to me just to have the len's made for the mask of choice. Looking at it from a cost prespective. The HDD 4.5 is $215.00, then add the cost of say a +4.5 contact to MAKE you near sighted, then you have a continual cost to the mask. Or you could have your prescription lenses made to fit their flat mask for the cost of $240.00 for a bifocal lens. Another option would be to wait for the 3.5 to come out.

That always cracks me up. A mask that requires that you be nearsighted! So those with perfect vision have to wear contacts to give them poor vision?! How did that ever get out of the marketing department?!! I mean, really. It could be the most amazing thing ever and it just won't fly because using it is just too much of a pain.

Great feedback, thanks, I'll stick with my regular mask for awhile. Or at least until I can put my hands on one of these and try for myself.

Just a little follow up on this mask... It really does give you WAAAAY larger field of view, and accurate size and distance. It's basically impossible or unrealistic financially to do this without the altered vision requirements. This mask is not for everyone, but surprisingly enough there are people with perfect vision ordering contacts to make them nearsighted to wear it who swear by it. If you fit in the -3.5 to -5.0 category already, it may be worth trying one. I wouldn't buy it mail order just on a chance.

Walter:
No mask is worth $200. I paid $18 for my current mask and it works as well as any I've ever used, better than most.

Amen. Good example of the latest and greatest mouse trap or a $1,000 vacuum or a $150 toaster .... We love to take things to the extreme and there is always someone willing to buy it.

Try one out at at a scuba show, then you'll see why anyone with normal vision would even contemplate putting contacts in just to be able to use it , It's that different from a normal mask

I too was reluctant to spend that kind of money on a mask that I had not tried, even though my eyes would be a match for the mask at -5 ... I talked to Jon & Terri at the Long Beach Scuba Show and they both were very knowledgeable, accommodating, and nice ... after talking to them and trying the mask, I got one, at a very good price (actually, I just had to get one after trying it)
I'll be trying it out this week diving to the destroyer Yukon

Heh, actually putting contacts in to use a mask is not so new .. is what I've had to do since starting to dive .. and this might have some bearing on me getting that mask: I hate wearing contacts :D

EDIT: have you tried one ?

D_B:
Try one out at at a scuba show, then you'll see why anyone with normal vision would even contemplate putting contacts in just to be able to use it , It's that different from a normal mask

I too was reluctant to spend that kind of money on a mask that I had not tried, even though my eyes would be a match for the mask at -5 ... I talked to Jon & Terri at the Long Beach Scuba Show and they both were very knowledgeable, accommodating, and nice ... after talking to them and trying the mask, I got one, at a very good price (actually, I just had to get one after trying it)
I'll be trying it out this week diving to the Yukon

Heh, actually putting contacts in to use a mask is not so new .. is what I've had to do since starting to dive .. :D

EDIT: have you tried it? ...

Full disclosure and in all fairness, no I have not tried the mask. For the life of me I just can't see how I would ever spend $200 on a mask that also requires me to alter my vision to use it. I already wear contacts but my eyesight is much worse than their target range. I'd have to get contacts to "improve" my vision but yet leave it in the required nearsighted range. I just can't get over how crazy that sounds.

Back
Top Bottom