Hydro Optix Mask worth the $200+?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to shave the top of my mustache, and I get a pretty leak proof dive with my HO mask - otherwise I get leaks. Another trick I have tried, but really don't need to, is to use the mask sealant stuff they sell that looks like chapstick. That would take care of leaks. My leaks only occur on left and right side of my nose. The mask skirt has mold flashing (seam from casting the skirt in mold) at these points, so I took a dremel with a small grinder tip and abraded the flash off flush with the surrounding rubber, and that may have helped - I know that my mask simply doesn't leak if I shave.
Well, I went diving with it for two dives this weekend. A couple of notes. A different instructor noticed the mask and commented on it, without me saying anything, again, he knew exactly what it was. Mentioned he thought of getting one, but wanted to try on out first. So, I'm starting to see a pattern. I think HO could sell more of these if they could get them into rental shops and get the rental shops to specifically push the mask. Just FYI guys.

The field of view is great! Definitely very noticeable. However, I did have some leak issues. Not bad or horrible, but definitely noticeable. My last mask, a CrystalVu with bonded lenses, didn't leak at all. Notta. Nothing. So, this is definitely noticeable. I wonder if the different skirt style would fix this issue for me?

On the plus side, the purge valve seems to work well. That's useful since it leaks so much, but spending a lot of time clearing my mask isn't much fun. On a somewhat related note, I noticed that when descending, I really got a lot of mask squeeze. I never got any noticeable squeeze with my last mask. I'm guessing it is because the DD is so much higher volume? This wasn't a big real, once I remembered to beathe into a bit to give myself some relief :)

I installed the "stow plate" on my BCD as recommended. However, it ended up being so high on the shoulder that I couldn't really reach it (hard to move around in a drysuit I guess). For this reason, I ended up leaving the surface vision google thing on shore. If I were desperate for surface vision, I would have used the monocle that I had tucked into my BC. I gotta figure out some better location for the stowage plate thingie.

So, short summary: good vision, bad leaks.

I have the mask and meet the requirement of negative diopter. I would not use any other mask. Does not leak or fog. The field of view is unbelivable. Would i use this mask if i had to use contacts, no.

I don't have any leaks at all.

No, my Hydrooptix mask skirt doesn't normally leak.

Yes, fogging can be a bother - I just have to apply anti-fog more regularly (1).

No, the purge valves don't leak. I don't need them but they don't annoy me either.

In case there were a leak, just keep a bit of positive pressure in the mask.

The increase in visual field is totally convincing, keeping track of my team member(s) is a breeze. No need to turn your body - just move your head to look fully backward over your shoulder. I'm certain that the improved situational awareness is a significant safety factor. My spare mask hasn't left its pocket for a while.

After all: it's about seeing things, isn't it?

(1) My favorite is undiluted baby shampoo: apply thinly to dry mask, let dry overnight, rinse excess away. The drying detergent creates a tightly adherent surface layer that is very effective in preventing fogging.

2.crows

I forked out the $220 for my Hydro Optix mask, it's pedigree being the main reason. Luckily, I am so darn nearsighted, I can use it without contacts (in 20ft or less visibility). I have some very weak disposables for 100% (for 30ft or further visibility).
I am going to buy another for a back-up, it's that good. The extended field of view (5 times flat faceplate masks) allows me to see things coming in from the peripheral field of vision. I was taking photos of a pod of 4 dolphins coming past before our guide or anyone else saw them. Same thing with an albino catfish.
It is safer to see more, I think. I can see where my guages and other equipment are, as well as knowing where my buddy and any other divers are.

I have a bushy mustache, and it leaked on first try. A little trim and some silicone gel solved that .
One situation I can see would be a drawback is after an exhausting dive, surfacing in tough surf or waves, not sure where the boat or shore are. The supplied clip-on glasses give vision out of water like binoculars. It'll take some getting used to.
The only complaint I have is that it scratches too easily. I've got to admit some guilt there as I am rough with my stuff, and I didn't use the neoprene cover supplied at first.

If you read the information the mask is internally coated to prevent fogging. Cleaning with soap may remove this coating. Mine leaks a little, but overall I am happy with it.

Thank you everyone its helped my to decide

hi guys,

I had a replacement of the lens with nano anti fog lens. it worked only for few dives. now it started to fog-up again. i never use any soap or shampoo. after the dive i was with the anti fog liquid that is provided. before dive i use water to trigger the anti fog coating.

So what should i do now? i am sure i didn't get rid of the coating.

Thanks all for your inputs

I use the defog before I dive it, then reaply again as needed (maybe 3rd dive) being careful not to scratch the lens coating with your fingernail when the lens has been/is wet

i still don't know what cause the anti coating to peel off. i don't scratch it for sure or use any chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom