Hybrid Rec/Tech Long Hose Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure where the two hose confusion comes to play. If I donate my long hose, I take it out of my mouth and from around my head and extend it to the other diver. The other routes under my arm pit up to the necklace and isn't under the cannister at all. If anything, having both not routed over my shoulder keeps them more apart.

If you find the backup reg that limiting then just extend the hose length an inch or two and/or add a 90 degree elbow to it.
It's not rocket science mate...

I knew I should have read the snark attack thread before posting!
😂

Not sure where the two hose confusion comes to play. If I donate my long hose, I take it out of my mouth and from around my head and extend it to the other diver. The other routes under my arm pit up to the necklace and isn't under the cannister at all. If anything, having both not routed over my shoulder keeps them more apart.
Maybe you need to draw a picture. The long hose goes from the reg, behind your back, under your arm, under the cannister. Your "40-inch hose" starts the same way....from the reg, behind your back, under your arm, and then up to your mouth. Both hoses go behind your back and under your arm, No? Neither one is over your sholder.

I already have a hose that size, so I may try it out both ways and report back how it seems to work. Thanks again.
Give it a shot! Won't cost anything. Just do 10-15 s-drills (full thing, clip off the primary, pull the entire hose out, etc. not just pull out your primary, switch to necklace then switch back... I'm sure you wouldn't do that anyway, I just see a bunch of lazy students :)) and have your buddy randomly give you some of out of air drills over the dive. See how it works.

Off the top of my head, the hose coming up at an angle would imo have a lot more freedom of movement and less pull/push on the jaw than one coming from the side. If the reg came free from the bungee, seems it would be much easier to recover.
I use a 2" longer than standard hose for the bungeed backup. There's no tugging.

I did have the reg come out of the bungee once (my fault for not tightening a new zip tie sufficiently). I just clipped off the long hose and used the reg on the short hose as my primary for the rest of the dive.

If I donate my long hose, I take it out of my mouth and from around my head catching on my droopy backup hose, flipping the backup reg upside down and inducing a free-flow, temporarily blinding me while I attempt to extend it to the other diver.
FIFY :wink: (Just trying to live up to the snark allegation...lol)

Is this just a case that you don't have a 22" hose?

If the reg came free from the bungee, seems it would be much easier to recover.
The "tilt & sweep" often doesn't work for the normal (recreational agency) OW config, and your 42" backup is similar in that regard. I think if it got loose, then it would be easier for it to get stuck between your butt and tank compared to one half as long.

If the reg came free from the bungee, seems it would be much easier to recover.
It won't. You tie a double fishermen's bend, pull both knots tight, then put the loop around the mouthpiece and pull it tight.

No tie wraps required (not allowed with DIR :cool: )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom