Hybrid Rec/Tech Long Hose Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 7ft without a canister or flashlight rod or w/e they are called... You just tuck in the excess length into your waist belt and have your waist tight. It shouldn't come out unless you pull.

Far as your necklace secondary.. you can try it.. but seems very over the top to try and put an angle device on and such. Just getting the right size hose that allows you the freedom of moving head in all directions while being just long enough is the better answer.

I played around with different size hoses, swivels, adapters, etc.. in the end I wound up with a 7' and a 22" just like everyone else. No swivels or adapters.

I don't think the pros outweigh the cons with any other configuration. The huge pro (to me) is I can wear the same setup regardless of how far I go in my diving career. The biggest hurdle for me was taking care of the 7' after a dive, but even that just took practice (and kicking it around in the dirt a few times:)).

I can see some advantages to doing this. First off, the only thing going over my right shoulder is the long hose. Secondly, the shorty backup hose normally routed over the right shoulder is restrictive.
I think you are running your long hose the wrong way. It should be behind your right shoulder to your waist, not in front of your right shoulder.

Once you change that, you'll see that both hoses running behind your shoulder will cause some hose wrapping issues at a some point. Usually a minor inconvenience, but if you ever need all the long hose length, it'll pull on your secondary, causing the problem you are trying to fix at the worst time possible.

Going with a standard long hose set up and tweaking the secondary hose length will probably work better for you. I had the same problem with my short hose when I switched from a poseidon to dive rite reg. I had to add another inch or 2 of hose, and it is fine now.

Thanks for the comments and open mindedness. I think there may have been a misunderstanding for some, probably because of my communications skills. For the record, I would be using the long 7' hose in the same standard way, down to the right hip, diagonally across the chest, around the neck and over the right shoulder. No change there. The thing I was considering was, instead of using the 22" backup hose over the right shoulder to the necklace, I would instead, have about a 40-42" hose that routes under my right arm and up to the necklace as my backup. I respect peoples' opinions about not reinventing the wheel. I already have a hose that size, so I may try it out both ways and report back how it seems to work. Thanks again.

I may try it out both ways and report back how it seems to work.
I don't think there was much misunderstanding.
The important thing is not how it works when nothing is going wrong.....it is much more important how it works when things are going sideways...which is kinda hard to test, and that's when the (often hard-earned0 experience of others counts the most.

Thanks for the comments and open mindedness. I think there may have been a misunderstanding for some, probably because of my communications skills. For the record, I would be using the long 7' hose in the same standard way, down to the right hip, diagonally across the chest, around the neck and over the right shoulder. No change there. The thing I was considering was, instead of using the 22" backup hose over the right shoulder to the necklace, I would instead, have about a 40-42" hose that routes under my right arm and up to the necklace as my backup. I respect peoples' opinions about not reinventing the wheel. I already have a hose that size, so I may try it out both ways and report back how it seems to work. Thanks again.
I'm with @tursiops.. I think when shtf and you're scrambling around having 2 hoses under the arm could get... interesting.

I am trying to see where or why that makes sense that you would want to do it that way? What are the pros? Honestly curious, I'm not trying to be a smartass at all.

I'm with @tursiops.. I think when shtf and you're scrambling around having 2 hoses under the arm could get... interesting.

I am trying to see where or why that makes sense that you would want to do it that way? What are the pros? Honestly curious, I'm not trying to be a smartass at all.
Off the top of my head, the hose coming up at an angle would imo have a lot more freedom of movement and less pull/push on the jaw than one coming from the side. If the reg came free from the bungee, seems it would be much easier to recover. I don't see both of them routing under the arm as much of an issue. The long hose would route all the way down to the hip and the other would route under the arm pit pretty much. Routing under the right arm gained some popularity for the primary in an open water rec setup for various reasons. I'm just saying I'm interested in trying it for the backup.

Off the top of my head, the hose coming up at an angle would imo have a lot more freedom of movement and less pull/push on the jaw than one coming from the side. If the reg came free from the bungee, seems it would be much easier to recover. I don't see both of them routing under the arm as much of an issue. The long hose would route all the way down to the hip and the other would route under the arm pit pretty much. Routing under the right arm gained some popularity for the primary in an open water rec setup for various reasons. I'm just saying I'm interested in trying it for the backup.
The bungee for the backup should be zip tied under the mouthpiece ziptie and ideally impossible to pull free. This way, it’s always exactly where it needs to be.

Off the top of my head, the hose coming up at an angle would imo have a lot more freedom of movement and less pull/push on the jaw than one coming from the side.
Yes, that is why it is popular for a primary.
Routing under the right arm gained some popularity for the primary in an open water rec setup for various reasons.
But the fact that it works for a primary doesn't mean it works for your alternate. The reasons have already been given: the primary reason is the danger of two hoses close together, one meant at as your prmary and to be donated, the other meant as your personal alternate; the secondary reason is it is unneccesary... your alternate on a necklace and a just-long-enough hose over your shoulder is not likely to ever get used, is for you only so doesn't need a hose long enough to reach your OOG diver, and in the unlikely event it is needed will not be in use very long...comfort is not the issue...availability and no confusion are the issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom