Hurricane Rita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows:
The only problem is that there aren't any hills near by. Yes there is a construction problem. Lucky I am not going to the town of Huntsville but a little west and pretty much planning on taking back roads. If that doesn't work out We will go to Brenham cause the family has some land up there. And if all else fail I will just keep driving my truck NW until I get to my mom's in Lubbock.
Lubbock has a clear hurricane record :D but by the time you get here, it'll be time to turn around and head back.

MichaelBaranows:
But that would give me a chance to see my mom. Cause I think the last time I was there was Christmas.
That'll work - beat the rush outa' town! You're long overdue to see you mom. I miss mine.

I've got no problems with being chicken little on this one when NHC is making forecasts like:

THE ENVIRONMENT IS CONDUCIVE FOR
STRENGTHENING AND RITA...AS KATRINA DID...WILL BE CROSSING THE LOOP
CURRENT OR AN AREA OF HIGH HEAT CONTENT WITHIN THE NEXT 12 HOURS OR
SO. THIS WOULD AID THE INTENSIFICATION PROCESS. THEREAFTER...THE
INTENSITY WILL BE CONTROLLED BY CHANGES IN THE EYEWALL WHICH ARE
DIFFICULT TO PREDICT. THE HEAT CONTENT IN THE WESTERN GULF OF
MEXICO IS NOT AS FAVORABLE AS IN THE AREA OF THE LOOP CURRENT SO
SLIGHT WEAKENING IS ANTICIPATED....BUT RITA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE
LANDFALL AS A MAJOR HURRICANE...AT LEAST CATEGORY THREE.

BOTH THE GFS AND THE GFDL SUGGEST THAT THE WIND FIELD WILL EXPAND.
THEREFORE THE FORECAST WIND RADII HAVE BEEN ADJUSTED ACCORDINLY. ON
THIS TRACK AND DUE TO THE LARGE WIND FIELD ASSOCIATED WITH RITA...A
HURRICANE WATCH WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED LATER THIS AFTERNOON OR
TONIGHT.

Get out of the way of this one any way you can. Remember, its not just the intensity of the wind speeds, its also the size of the storm and the flooding it will cause over a broad area.

DandyDon:
I called my dive buddy there Monday morning, encouraging her to beat the crowds at the stores, and she's glad she did. With the storm expecting Friday night late, I guess the mass exodus will be Friday, but I've suggested she get her kin out by noon Thursday. There was a construction zone bottleneck on the way to Hunstville when I was there a few weeks ago, and I do hope they're taking steps to open that up now.
Her stubborn father refuses to evacuate - want so ride it out in his north Houston home in the trees. Great, with trees for projectiles and an airplane fuselage in the back yard. Just great.
:baaa:

MichaelBaranows:
I am not near as worried about a flood as I am about the wind.
Most people arent as worried about flooding, but if you are coastal or low-lying, in a flood plain of a river then i would certainly plan on it or in fact kissing your home goodbye just as those on the Mississippi coast had to where 30ft+/- storm surge came ashore. If you are high and dry then winds is all you need worry about - same here in Orlando when we get something through here.

Great ... we're supposed to be flying into Houston early Saturday morning on our way to Bonaire.

Oh well ... last year we had to fly around Ivan to get there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

MichaelBaranows:
I am not near as worried about a flood as I am about the wind.
I think I read that 90% of hurricane deaths are from flooding. You're at 28 feet elevation not that far from the Brazos river. Now could be a good time to visit mom.

NWGratefulDiver:
Great ... we're supposed to be flying into Houston early Saturday morning on our way to Bonaire.

Oh well ... last year we had to fly around Ivan to get there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Kinda' doubt that will happen.

GD you might want to see if you can get that flight rerouted.

Dan,
the san Bernard river is a little closer but yes I am getting out of town. I have already pretty much wrote my house off if the storm is as big as predicted.

I hope that I am wrong and will be writing yall Monday morning.

Back
Top Bottom