Hurricane Rita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got an email for my local paper that the area I live in will start a mandatory evactuation Thursday at noon. So I guess now I have to figure out what I want to try and take with me and what I think can last thru the storm. As things stand I will be on the dirty side so we will get alot of rain. but I am not worried about flood cause my house is pretty high.

Right not the plan is to move my boat to a friends barn and load up the RV and go to either deer lease outside of Huntsville or Grandparents in Brenham.

sure looks like it's heading for Texas

hopefully, it won't get too much bigger/stronger

H2Andy:
sure looks like it's heading for Texas

hopefully, it won't get too much bigger/stronger
It's interesting to see what the projections are day to day - looks like it's headed for the DFW airport

NHC now states this is a cat 4 storm and Galveston is starting mandatory evacuations...this one looks almost as nasty as the last unwelcome visitor in the Gulf...good luck everyone...stay safe!

Ya she is very unwlecome.

I was surprised last night how hard it is to decide what to take with me. With the evacuation starting today I am not sure if will be able to get home tonight. If I do get home I was wondering if I should get my dive gear.

Andy, who knows on these things. I'm a real outsider with regard to these things as I have never experienced even a Cat-1. Many of our friends in Florida has endured several much worse. I do tend to be a SB.com Chicken Little on these 'Canes, as I worry about anyone I know in the path, and there's not one thing I can do other than beg for cautions.

NHC now states this is a cat 4 storm and Galveston is starting mandatory evacuations...this one looks almost as nasty as the last unwelcome visitor in the Gulf...good luck everyone...stay safe!
It's been 105 years since Galveston has had one of those. They're much better prepared in many ways, of course, and political problems of the time had a lot to do with the monumental impact that caused the greatest one day loss of life in U.S. history (see "Isac's Storm") but still - a hell of a lot of people are going to need to head for the hills.

I called my dive buddy there Monday morning, encouraging her to beat the crowds at the stores, and she's glad she did. With the storm expecting Friday night late, I guess the mass exodus will be Friday, but I've suggested she get her kin out by noon Thursday. There was a construction zone bottleneck on the way to Hunstville when I was there a few weeks ago, and I do hope they're taking steps to open that up now.

The only problem is that there aren't any hills near by. Yes there is a construction problem. Lucky I am not going to the town of Huntsville but a little west and pretty much planning on taking back roads. If that doesn't work out We will go to Brenham cause the family has some land up there. And if all else fail I will just keep driving my truck NW until I get to my mom's in Lubbock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom