Hurricane Rita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're still at a friends house in Cumby, east of Dallas. It took us 15 hours to get from the east side of Houston...what a nightmare!

We really lucked out this time. I talked to friends at home and our place looks OK, just a few limbs down. Even so, I'm still glad we left and would do it again. It could have been much worse.

Our area of Houston is scheduled for a reutrn home on Tuesday, which is fine with me. Anything to avoid another road trip from hell! Actually, now that the fear of the storm damage is gone, it's more like a vacation with friends! We know there will still be traffic tomorrow but not near what it was coming up here.

Thanks all for your prayers, I'm sure they helped.

Well I just found site looking for Cozumel info. I live in Orange, Texas and we had one of the three eyes come over us from Rita. I had to stay and work through the storm and it was NOT a good time. The eye went over us at 5:00 am and I could see sea gulls flying overhead and it was dead still outside, very eery.

I drove downtown Orange at 7:15am with winds gusting to 70 mph. Every road except three were blocked by down trees. Orange is known for it’s 100-150 year old trees, both oak and pine. Orange has 29% of it’s businesses damaged or destroyed. The trees sliced homes in two, causing major damages to most houses in the area. Luckily most people left, so far NO deaths. We were on our own for 2 days. No one came to help. I work for the city and we lost water for 7 days, meaning no restrooms, baths or drinking water. Now a month later there are still LOTS of work to do. Just got the trees off my house yesterday.

It is upsetting to read that we were not hurt or that it was not that bad. It was REAL bad, we were just lucky that no one was hurt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom