Hurricane Rita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
What, no hurricane named "DandyDon"?

:wink:
Let's suggest it. Right now, do a google on DandyDon and I am one of the top hits.

I am watching live news feed: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=hurricanes&id=3464255

Natasha - you need forget your plans and get out of harms way. At least go to NW Houston. Colored areas need to be emptied...
Hurricane_Evacuation_Map_8x11a3.gif

Well, looks like Texas may not get it as bad as was thought at first...Louisiana on the other hand...Our little town in central Louisiana has grown 100 percent! I don't believe there were this many people here after Katrina.
My son works in Lake Charles, and he is home, with several friends who live there and in Sulphur. We are supposed to get some bad weather here so I don't know when I'll be able to get online again.
Prayers for all in the path!

Looks like Rita's eye wall has landed, our prayers are with you all.

divergalinla:
Well, looks like Texas may not get it as bad as was thought at first...Louisiana on the other hand...Our little town in central Louisiana has grown 100 percent! I don't believe there were this many people here after Katrina.
My son works in Lake Charles, and he is home, with several friends who live there and in Sulphur. We are supposed to get some bad weather here so I don't know when I'll be able to get online again.
Prayers for all in the path!
All my worries this week for Houston, and now it's coming in there. Good luck...!!

Okay you can go back to calling me Chicken Little again. Rough as Rita was to the Texas Louisiana border, she was not nearly as bad as she could have been. I suppose many who evacuated will wish they hadn't now, but it was a good idea - like wearing seat belts for the crash you hope never happens. From Aol news....
BEAUMONT, Texas (Sept. 24) - Hurricane Rita slammed into Texas and Louisiana early Saturday, flooding coastal towns, sparking fires and knocking power out to more than 1 million customers, but largely sparing vulnerable Houston and much of the region's vital oil refining industry.
It looks like she is going to break up over northern Louisiana now. I hope the state is ready for the rainfall.

hey, it could have easily have gone the other way and turned into a monster
Cat 5 storm

evacuating is the right thing to do, every time, no matter what happened last time

it's always a new roll of the dice

I rode out the storm in my house (just west of Houston). Everything is OK. Luckily for us and unlucky for Port Aurthur and Beaumont, it moved to the east and lost strength. We only had 1/4" of rain and very little wind - IT COULD HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE !!! We watched the track for some time and decided that it was moving away from us. My kids and other realtives kept calling to advise leaving, but it seemed like a good idea at the tiem. My wife did not want to spend LONG hours or days on the road. I am not real sure we made the right choice. I think we will need to re-evaluate for the next time. It will still be some time, as much as three days for the rest of the peolple to get back according to the schedule set up by the officials.

I probably will not be online very much; thanks for your concern.

DSDO

I am back safe as ever. Only on the road for a total of 10 hours and still got to spend the weekend at home. We got a little wind not even as much as a West Texas sand storm and no rain. I would really like to thank everyone that was directing traffic and trying to keep order. In my opinion they did a great job.

Rita's singing her swan song today from the LA (Lower Alabama) coast to the Great Lakes as a steady downpour... and then she's gone.
Good riddance.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom