Hurricane Ivan is next...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm:
:15a: Are we done yet?
I expect you arent dreaming of Jeannie?? :wink:

Scuba_Dad:
Colin,
Jeanne is going to hook north... Jeanne is going to hook north... just keep saying that....

Al

This one is going to.... its going no where! It's going to zip around the atlantic and wear itself out! :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
... I'll check in with reports as often as I can. Later
Good luck over there. I'm headed closer to the beach - yes closer! I get to ride the storm out at work in the hospital on Hwy 98 near SanDestin. The only way to get to that area is across one of three bridges that will close at 40 mph winds. Depending on damage, I may be there a while. All my family is up just south of Atlanta trying to hide from the storm. I don't know what we're in for but I'll be glad when it's over. I'll check in when I can.

Good luck all as we down in the south are breathing a sigh of relief....

I'm with Jen.. definitely breathing a sigh of relief around here.Ya'll up there board up and get ready for a heck of a ride, Ivan is coming to play!!

For those of you who went through Frederic, I've found an old satellite photo of that storm just before it hit Mobile and devastated Gulf Shores.
For comparison, Ivan covers four to six times the area of Frederic.
Furthermore, there's a ridge blocking Ivan's path, so it looks like Ivan will get into north Alabama/Tennessee and stall... and rain, and rain, and rain, and rain, and....
It really may earn the moniker "Ivan the Terrible."
Ugly.
Rick

Found this today in the Sun Sentinel website
"Of all the recorded hurricanes to hit the U.S. since 1851, 36 percent have made landfall in Florida. A look at the paths of the major hurricanes (category 3 and higher) that have passed through the state. The most affected counties are in the shaded area.
(Staff graphic/Karsten Ivey, Belinda Long)
Sep. 10, 2004
Copyright © 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel"

Jenny, that looks almost as bad as the FL road map! :wink:

SeaYoda:
Good luck over there.

Same to you, be sure to check in whenever you get a chance.

I have pictures, but my parents computer does not have any programs that will open up the pictures from my camera. Not that there's much to show yet, it finally got overcast, and there is a breeze outside. The feeder bands will be bringing rain within hours and the breeze should increase until tomorrow morning.

The intercoastal bridge to Gulf Shores has been closed and they've already turned off their gas and power. The waves there have picked up alot and are already running into the main pavillion and seawalls at the boardwalk. The storm is still over 200 miles away so all my visual landmarks for the Whiskey Wreck and the West Paddleboat will probably be gone since the waves will undoubtable grow along with an increasing storm surge - lol.

We'll be going across the street to a neighbors house when things get bad - probably tonight before passing out again. Their house should hold against the wind better than ours will. With any luck, it'll be an unnecessary move.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom