Hurricane Dennis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
How's everybody? Looks like Dennis has made landfall.

Heather's power actually was only out for about 1/2 hour. It turned due north early enough to strike far enough east that she'll probably avoid the brunt of it. As well as some weakening just before landfall... as best an outcome for pensacola as possible... but it's still overlapping the damaged areas from Ivan.

Glad to hear her and her family are safe.... My thoughts and prayers are with the entire area.

dlndavid:
Looks like Dennis has made landfall.

WTNT64 KNHC 101940
TCUAT4
HURRICANE DENNIS TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
335 PM EDT SUN JUL 10 2005

RADAR OBSERVATIONS INDICATE THAT HURRICANE DENNIS MADE LANDFALL AT
1925Z...225 PM CDT...ON SANTA ROSA ISLAND BETWEEN NAVARRE BEACH AND
PENSACOLA BEACH FLORIDA. DATA FROM THE STEPPED FREQUENCY MICROWAVE
RADIOMETER ON BOARD THE NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT...AS WELL AS
FLIGHT-LEVEL OBSERVATIONS FROM NOAA AND AIR FORCE RESERVE
AIRCRAFT...INDICATE THAT THE LANDFALL INTENSITY OF DENNIS WAS 100
TO 105 KT...115 TO 120 MPH...CATEGORY THREE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
HURRICANE SCALE.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

$$

Somebody 'splain something to me please. The talking heads are saying the storm made land fall with max winds of "99 MPH winds. Still a catagory 3." Maybe they mean 99 knots. In any case better than the 4 which was expected.
Talking heads seem alittle disappointed that they don't have video of devistation.
Anybody know how some of our folks in the area have made out?
Having gone through Jeanne and Frances, having sweated out Ivan and having run from Floyd, I know that the stress can be worse than the property damage.

EDIT: Just answered my own question. Reporters were apparently reporting wind speeds at THEiR locations.. Not the actual wind speed.
Had to chuckle though. One of them asked if it was true the wind changes direction after the eye passes.

Hope everyone is alright.

Splitlip:
Somebody 'splain something to me please. The talking heads are saying the storm made land fall with max winds of "99 MPH winds. Still a catagory 3." Maybe they mean 99 knots. In any case better than the 4 which was expected.
There were no talking heads where the storm actually came ashore, which was between P'cola and Destin. Haven't heard any reports from its "ground zero" yet, but it was about the most sparsely populated piece of real estate from the Alabama line to Panama City - so lucky in that sense. But hard of course on those directly there. We probably won't get any real reports out of there until morning.
Montgomery... now Montgomery was a most amazing situation... bands to the east of us; bands to the west of us - we had a little rain and some medium (40 mph) winds but absolutely nothing substantial. Power blinked a couple of times here while folks all around us got more rain and more wind and more power outage than we did.
Probably my mother's prayers :)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
There were no talking heads where the storm actually came ashore, which was between P'cola and Destin. Haven't heard any reports from its "ground zero" yet, but it was about the most sparsely populated piece of real estate from the Alabama line to Panama City - so lucky in that sense. But hard of course on those directly there. We probably won't get any real reports out of there until morning.
Montgomery... now Montgomery was a most amazing situation... bands to the east of us; bands to the west of us - we had a little rain and some medium (40 mph) winds but absolutely nothing substantial. Power blinked a couple of times here while folks all around us got more rain and more wind and more power outage than we did.
Probably my mother's prayers :)
Rick
Glad to hear things worked out for you. Let's hope that all of the others faired beter than expected too.

NOT what we wanted to see on the maps. . . we have a liveaboard trip scheduled out of WPB in mid July! Thank goodness for trip insurance. . .

and there's another tropical depression not too far behind "emily" This is supposed to be the slow time for hurricanes!

just hope these go someplace else!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom