Hurricane Dennis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick - that graph definitely shows the magnatude of the seas coming in with that storm!

Corigan:
So much for me seeing gulf shores and pensacola back to normal this year. :( I feel for ya'll down there and wish ya'll the best.

Matt

Matt, I'm afraid that this is a the paradigm shift of weather patterns for the next decade or two. We've enjoyed a very long period of relatively quiet times.. last year I believe it was said to expect more storm activity.. tell ya what, the experts weren't joking on that one!

What can we really do? Prepare, buckle up, know when to 'get out', and accept the fact we live near the water where Cyclones are a fact of life.
---
lil rant
---
I'm watching the news right now and they just highlighted two couples who were close to finishing the repairs on their house. Where do they live? Right on Pensacola Bay. Now they're sad that they have to evacuate again. "We're sad that we may lose our house this time..," says the wife.

It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of surprise folks show when their house or homes built on the water (or better yet the barrier islands) are suddenly in peril or are flat out removed by natures fury.

Larry the Cable Guy:
I Belieeeevveeee
I belive that folks who build on the water or barrier islands should have to sign waivers stating they will not act surprised, emotionally distressed, shocked it happened to them, or any other favorite 'emotion' reporters look for when searching for people to interview. If you build in the middle of the catchers mit, expect to get hit by the ball!
---
end rant

chickdiver:
Y-Knot is in her hurricane hole upt he Escambia River, where she rode out Ivan- I saw Dave on Wednesday. I'm sitting at home with the shutters up waiting for the power to go... :)
But is the generator full of fuel so you can keep us posted? Behave for the next 20 hours and don’t make any history – or not. :D

CBulla:
I belive that folks who build on the water or barrier islands should have to sign waivers stating they will not act surprised, emotionally distressed, shocked it happened to them, or any other favorite 'emotion' reporters look for when searching for people to interview. If you build in the middle of the catchers mit, expect to get hit by the ball!
Most folks are pretty realistic about it. But those are boring, and so not sought out by the news bubbas. The ones they ferret out would be hysterical with or without any waiver.
I don't want to lose our place on Perdido, but if it gets flattened it gets flattened and we rebuild a better place.
Rick
---
Pensacola South Buoy @ 0800 local

Keep safe this afternoon, evening and night y'all - you'll be in our thoughts.

Cant believe we were quite as wrong with the forecast, glad to see the models were somewhere in the ballpark this time. That high and the front that looked like they were going to steer this system just moved out of town, so it went just were they thought it might. Repeating - keep safe, you're in our thoughts.

Bill51:
But is the generator full of fuel so you can keep us posted? Behave for the next 20 hours and don’t make any history – or not. :D

Heh- no generator. I'm young- I don't need ac to make it.

chickdiver:
Heh- no generator. I'm young- I don't need ac to make it.
I don’t need the AC, but it was sure nice to keep the beer cold and the computer on-line. :D

Take care of yourself over there.

As we continue to go through feeder band squalls here I can't help but have a flashback or two to last year when the C-cane came by... so I checked the Radar...

My wife lit a white candle, while she and the oldest one said blessing hoping everyone makes it through safe and sound.... if you lose power soon, we'll see you on the other side!!

Y'all be safe up there. I surely don't envy you at the moment.

It would be nice if the state put a moratorium on new building on barrier islands. They are, after all, called "barrier" for a reason.

Keep safe ya'll, I am not wishing I could change places with ya!
See ya when the electric is back on!

Back
Top Bottom