Hurricane Dennis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its back to a Cat 3 from what I understand and they are saying its strengthening more. Possibly a strong 3 or even a 4 by landfall. Storm track hasn't changed much and it still looks to be heading towards the AL/FL line.

Rick Murchison:
Looks like Cuba took some energy out that won't be recovered, so maybe we're looking at a Cat 2 vice 4 - which makes a HUGE difference. Also, for me and BugMan, looks like our places will be on the low-water side of the eye... good for us but sucks for y'all in P'cola and Destin/FWB.

I hope we stay on the West, I feel bad for P'Cola though... None of us need this one.

I'm posting from Tuscaloosa now, should be far enough north to keep the brunt of the wind off us(even though we'll get alot of wind never the less) and flooding isn't a problem in our particular area. We are expecting to lose power, but I'll post while I can.

We're already getting bands(as of about an hour ago), rainy, windy, but nothing too serious yet.

Dennis is now forecast to be a Cat 4 or possibly 5 hurricane when it makes landfall on the Alabama/Florida line just about where Ivan hit. This is going to be bad for both Gulf Shores and Pensacola. There are still piles of debris from Ivan and folks are still doing repairs.

At least the Oriskany is gone to Texas. I cussed the folks who sent the Oriskany to Texas, but now they look like geniuses. If we live through Dennis, maybe we'll still get to dive the mighty O.

I was dang sure overly optimistic earlier... forecast track has shifted back west to put both my place and BugMan's home town on the eastern eyewall. I was surprised I could be so wrong on the strength, but when I read the NHC's discussion... "AFTER DEEPENING AT A RATE THAT BORDERED ON INSANE DURING THE AFTERNOON...DENNIS HAS CONTINUED TO STRENGTHEN AT A MORE NORMAL RATE THIS EVENING." I didn't feel quite so bad at my underestimation...
Hide & watch, folks, this could be a really bad one.
Rick

Place & Station ID Water Temp Wave Height
Pensacola, FL 42039 83 °F / 28 °C 22.97 ft / 7.00 mW.
Tampa, FL 42036 80 °F / 27 °C 24.93 ft / 7.60 m

Definite E Ticket rides. It appears that he will hit and go inland as a Cat IV.

I hope that Matt and Sheree and Heather have booked already. I also hope and pray that Gene and Ilene have the Wet Dream way up in the creek and tied down well. I'm sure the Y-Knot is on a trailer headed north.

Good Grief!
Rick

Rick Murchison:
I was dang sure overly optimistic earlier... forecast track has shifted back west to put both my place and BugMan's home town on the eastern eyewall. I was surprised I could be so wrong on the strength, but when I read the NHC's discussion... "AFTER DEEPENING AT A RATE THAT BORDERED ON INSANE DURING THE AFTERNOON...DENNIS HAS CONTINUED TO STRENGTHEN AT A MORE NORMAL RATE THIS EVENING." I didn't feel quite so bad at my underestimation...
Hide & watch, folks, this could be a really bad one.
Rick

I'm with you. NHC, Weatherunderground and even Dr. Lyons indicated this thing would not strengthen past a 2 after Cuba. My admonition that people stick with their plans was only a precationary suggestion which resulted from my own experience with Jeanne last year.
My thoughts go out to all in the path of this storm.

I learned long ago, these weather people have no clue. I used to cancel dive trips when it would say chance of tstorms 40% and such. It would never rain! Now I just go on the trips even if it says the weather is going to be horrible all weekend. 9 times out of 10 I get to dive with no issues.

Hope everyone is ok down there and has gone to safety. Hang on! We'll see ya after the storm to go diving again.

That graph from the South bouy is crazy.

So much for me seeing gulf shores and pensacola back to normal this year. :( I feel for ya'll down there and wish ya'll the best.

Matt

NHC has it going up Mobile Bay. I'm looking at the latest Radar loop and it looks to me that the storm has done an Opal and taken a right turn - and if it keeps up that trend it's going in somewhere between FWB and Panama City.
Rick

I’d like to know what the waves are like 64NM south of Dauphin Island, but it looks like that buoy has been knocked offline now.

Maybe the buoy is on it's way up Mobile Bay by now.

Tom Smedley:
Place & Station ID Water Temp Wave Height
Pensacola, FL 42039 83 °F / 28 °C 22.97 ft / 7.00 mW.
Tampa, FL 42036 80 °F / 27 °C 24.93 ft / 7.60 m

Definite E Ticket rides. It appears that he will hit and go inland as a Cat IV.

I hope that Matt and Sheree and Heather have booked already. I also hope and pray that Gene and Ilene have the Wet Dream way up in the creek and tied down well. I'm sure the Y-Knot is on a trailer headed north.

Y-Knot is in her hurricane hole upt he Escambia River, where she rode out Ivan- I saw Dave on Wednesday. I'm sitting at home with the shutters up waiting for the power to go... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom