Hurricane Dennis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
You've been watching too many movies :wink:
Quakes are like heart attacks, sudden and swift (a long one would last 30 secs), while anticipating hurricanes would seem like having cancer.

The last major quake I recall experiencing here was 16 years ago. The only damage I incured was picking up the CDs which were tossed around the livingroom.
How many hurricanes in the past 16 years has FL seen? 10?
Random maybe, but last summer i went to LA for a long weekend and we got a quake (only a 4.5-5 or something, but still enough to wake you), is that a weekly thing around SoCal?? I am guessing NorCal is a little more out of the way from the San Andreas (having poor geographical knowledge here) hence you get fewer quakes up there. Even so, its still early in the season, but i couldnt think of a better place than Orlando to ride out a storm, nicely away from the coast so we get less impact than where they make landfall!

simbrooks:
Random maybe, but last summer i went to LA for a long weekend and we got a quake (only a 4.5-5 or something, but still enough to wake you), is that a weekly thing around SoCal?? I am guessing NorCal is a little more out of the way from the San Andreas (having poor geographical knowledge here) hence you get fewer quakes up there. Even so, its still early in the season, but i couldnt think of a better place than Orlando to ride out a storm, nicely away from the coast so we get less impact than where they make landfall!
Lol, most 4.5-5 quakes you can't even feel. Might have been a truck driving down the road.

Me, I like my water tame :wink:

MoonWrasse:
Lol, most 4.5-5 quakes you can't even feel. Might have been a truck driving down the road.

A 15-20sec shake that woke all in the house (inc SoCal residents) and rattled the lights etc, maybe it was a little more than a 5? Not many trucks going past this house :wink:

heh- move to Guam- you can have Typhoons and Earthquakes. I was there for Supertyphoon Omar (equivalent to a cat 5 hurricane) and about a week or 10 days later we had a great big ol quake!

MoonWrasse:
You've been watching too many movies :wink:
Quakes are like heart attacks, sudden and swift (a long one would last 30 secs), while anticipating hurricanes would seem like having cancer.
Quakes are more like random acts of terrorism as far as I can tell... or a heart attack. Neither of which I care to experience. Hurricanes are like building up for the ultimate showdown... one you know that if you take on unprepared you'll lose. Even if you ARE prepared you can lose... but its your choice to take the chance and face it or go away and let it happen without your presence.

MoonWrasse:
The last major quake I recall experiencing here was 16 years ago. The only damage I incured was picking up the CDs which were tossed around the livingroom.
How many hurricanes in the past 16 years has FL seen? 10?
I've not really kept track of how many cane's, tropical storms, etc., I've been through here in the 31 years I've lived here, but I can tell ya I've faced everyone head on, sometimes surfing, sometimes just keeping my boats in the right place as water receeded so they were on the wet side of the dock...

Of course there is a price to pay for living here in paradise...we get to dive year round. :wink:

MoonWrasse:
Wimp. I like my water like my women – a little on the wild side, but my backyard still hasn’t recovered from the saltwater storm surge from last year. :D

Scuba_Jenny:
Of course there is a price to pay for living here in paradise...we get to dive year round. :wink:
Now that the storm has past; how long before we can really see what we are diving up here??? My house had very little damage and power was back on before I returned from my evacuation point in Jacksonville. There was no diving while I was there since the waves were so large. Good for the surfers though.

Looks like I will be in South FL next week. Will post in the FL Conch Divers.

Have fun & be safe,
-fun2chase
-stacy

Bill51:
Wimp. I like my water like my women – a little on the wild side, but my backyard still hasn’t recovered from the saltwater storm surge from last year. :D
You talking about category 1 women, toe taping to Glenn Miller type of wild, or
category 5 all out psycho knife in the back after sex - cannibal type black widow spider gal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom