Hurricane damage Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bob1dp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have news on how the Turks and Caicos did during Hurricane Ike? I am especially concerned about Grand Turk. Most of the population is on the side that got hit by the hurricane and most of the houses can’t be more then 10’ above sea level. I fear they must have been devastated.

Last edited:
We are going to T&C at the end of October. I hope everything is ok. Not just for our trip mind you, hurricanes go such awful damage, hopefully the islands can recover.

Grand Turk, South Caicos and Sat Cay have all been literally destroyed. I do not know when they will be open again for business but it will be some times, i.e. months not weeks. Provo is fine, we are tidying up now and in a week or so all will be back to normal as far as tourists are concerned. There is some roof damage and lots of landscaping needs redoing etc but compared to the other islands it is not much. Power is slowly being restored. No dive companies on Provo were badly effect as far as I know all the boats, docks, shops etc were fine and thankfully no loss of life. In some ways Hanna a week earleir did more damage than Ike to Provo. Two hurricanes and a tropical storm in one week is just too much!

Does anyone know where most of the good diving is on T & C ?

We were mulling over diving their this coming summer.

We vacationed in Grand Cayman after Ivan came thru and they had most things back up to par.

Does T & C have the resources to rebuild quickly?

Thanks, Beck

The best diving from Provo is generally considered to be at West Caicos, a sort of long boat ride but a common trip done by various ops. There's some diving near the island too. I'm sure you'd have no problems next summer from Ike.

Grand Turk is the other main diving area, the diving is mostly close. I think T&C has pretty good resources but I wouldn't try and guess at this point when things will be back together on GT. I'm sure infrastructure will be ok but there are no big hotels there, it's smaller inn type places. And you never know if places like that will rebuild quickly, or close for a long time. Salt Cay and South Caicos also have good diving but they got beat up as well, They also had fewer places to stay or dive ops even before Ike although they were starting to get some options.

There's always a liveaboard. The Aggressor and Caribbean Explorer II run from Provo, they dive West Caicos and some of the smaller islands the day boats don't get to much or at all.

The best diving from Provo is generally considered to be at West Caicos, a sort of long boat ride but a common trip done by various ops. There's some diving near the island too. I'm sure you'd have no problems next summer from Ike.

Grand Turk is the other main diving area, the diving is mostly close. I think T&C has pretty good resources but I wouldn't try and guess at this point when things will be back together on GT. I'm sure infrastructure will be ok but there are no big hotels there, it's smaller inn type places. And you never know if places like that will rebuild quickly, or close for a long time. Salt Cay and South Caicos also have good diving but they got beat up as well, They also had fewer places to stay or dive ops even before Ike although they were starting to get some options.

There's always a liveaboard. The Aggressor and Caribbean Explorer II run from Provo, they dive West Caicos and some of the smaller islands the day boats don't get to much or at all.

Thank you very much. Great info.

Beck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom