Hurricane damage Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantahouse and Sandbar are is good shape with minimal damage. Salt Raker was hit pretty badly. You can't even recognize the place. Osprey has major damage as well. Turkshead Inn held up pretty well with minor roof damage. Island House had its roof ripped off..I had friends who were riding out Ike in Island House and kept switching rooms when the roof would fall in. Bohio's roof was destroyed. The British Navy is there now with supplies and relief. Not one person was injured or killed in Grand Turk during this horrific storm which is AMAZING! The island will be back...the people there have alot of heart and plan on rebuilding to make it better than ever. There are several relief organizations if you would like to donate anything--PM me. Grand Turk will not have electricity for about three more weeks so if you're trying to email etc...not everyone is up and able to receive emails quite yet. Cell phone is the best way to contact right now.
Thanks so much for all of that detailed info! I wish I could drop everything and go down there to help out! My prayers are with the folks on the island to bring it back to what it was and even better! People should build homes up on stilts like we do here in SC on the beach so that a surge will roll through underneath a home instead of the surge taking it and its foundation! My former partner and I went to GT year after year and adore the island and its people! We have friends there as well... Mitch, Monica, Wendy, George, Sandy, and little Nikki. Mitch and Wendy have homes on West Road there right on the oceanfront and I am worried that they may have lost them. Thanks again for the info! jenn

Maybe some on South Caicos came through better than others.
This from southcaicosdivers website

"NOTE -- Hurricane Ike recently tore through the Carribean. South Caicos Diver and South Caicos Ocean Beach Resort sustained minimal damage, and are scheduled to reopen by mid-October"

Good news for them.

Back
Top Bottom