HP vs LP steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jchoby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know there are several posts with regards to the advantages of each...but was wondering if anyone went the HP route and wished they had not. If so, why? Right now its a toss up between LP 95's and HP-100's.

vr

JC

I certainly don't.

The HP-100's are the best singles tanks out there, and from what I hear they make dandy doubles. A lot of people seem to get LP-95's and jack them up til they hold 100-120cf.. and they're a very popular doubles tank.

I personally own some E8-130's, which are also great tanks.

Jchoby:
I know there are several posts with regards to the advantages of each...but was wondering if anyone went the HP route and wished they had not. If so, why? Right now its a toss up between LP 95's and HP-100's.

vr

JC

If you are thinking about the PST cylinders look here. If you want a high pressure cylinder that you can fill to low pressures because of compressor limitations look at the capacity in the lower pressure ranges. If you want to fill that cylinder to 3442 PSI then go for it. The high pressure cylinders usually cost more but offer greater flexibility on fill pressures.

I own both low and high pressure cylinders, they each had specific factors that made them the most appropriate purchases for their specific intended use.

Mark Vlahos

Jchoby:
Tks - these will definately be doubles..

For doubles...

How tall are you and what do you weigh?

What application will they be used for, caves where you will be diving to thirds? Recreational dives where you will fill them once and get two or three dives on the set?

What are the sizes of your buddies doubles, if you have regular buddies that this would apply to?

Mark Vlahos

I have a PST 119. Its a nice tank its just heavy to lug around. I have no regret going HP. I do however wish I went with a 120 instead, not because of 1 extra cuft of gas, but because its a taller tank (I'm 6'4") and the same diameter as an al 80 so I wouldnt have to readjust the tank straps every now and then. Oh yeah my DR tank straps barely make around the 8" tank.

Good for you, David. I used a steel 120 HP most of last Summer. These are super. I could not use the full capacity for ocean dives. We were always the last guys back on the boat. The computer said "time to go" and I still had like 1200 psi. These tall tanks require a tall man. I am four inches shorter than you. I had a pain that I feared was an impacted colon or something, and it was the result of that cylinder knocking on my tailbone. I recently got a LP 95. At 3000 psi it is 108 cu. ft. Price was a consideration. Florida Technical Scuba has them O2 clean, ready to go for $189 plus tax.

Stu S.

I have both HP and LP tanks and like them each for different reasons. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a couple of sets of LP85s and call it done. If you are somewhere that you can't reliably get HP fills, the HP tanks aren't very useful.

Jackie

I have a set of Worthington LP 95s and couldn't be happier with them. You can overfill them to approx. 3000-3300 psi and increase your bottom time if you want.
They're great.

We have 6 cylinders, all HPs by PST. 4 E7-80s and 2 of the older 3500 PSI 100s (102). Locally everyone hase been able to attain full pressure. Of course you do sometimes have cooling losses but I see AL-80s cooling to 2800-2700 all of the time so it's not just a HP steel issue. I take a bigger hit when I enter the Maine winter water.

The good news is that with the better properties of the HP cyclinders you will wear less weight and have less overall mass to move. You as a diver are doing less work so even if you sacrifice a few CF to cooling it's not a big deal. If you can befriend your LDS to give you slow fills and a minor overfill you can have your cake and eat it too. Same deal if you can leave them to cool (up to 4 hours for the gas inside to equilibrate to room temperature) and be topped off thereafter.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom