Plus Stamp information from Hydrotesters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBunga

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure if this is the right forum and I've read through other posts but none seem recent so trying this... All help greatly appreciated.

I have several older steel LP '72s and some '95s - I'm looking for hydrotesters that still will Plus these older tanks. Failing have one within reason close to me (st louis area)- is there any way to ask these hydrotesters for the data they use to Plus the tanks??

I thought I had found my solution a couple years ago when I found one - I got several tanks Plus stamped (PST and Norris) and was happy as a clam - I could get FULL fills now. Then I took 6 more tanks in and they now have no clue what a Plus stamp is. They seem to have had some turnover, lost documentation, etc. They even returned another guy's HP tank with a Plus on it! They then grinded it off and painted over it!! So I'm back to non-Plus tanks. It may not seem like a big deal to most - so my '72 only gets filled to 2250 over 2475 - but that alone is 10%. Then several shops fill to 2250 and when the tank cools it's only 2000psi - so that's overall 20% less air than I "could" have in a tank. At least with the plus I have always had fills to at least the 2250 (when cool).

There is one doc (with a typo) for the PST '72s - but I can't find any "real" docs for norris or for my PST '95 (early 70's).

So for anyone who knows a hydrotester that does Plus tanks - do they have ANY information they can share that possibly another hydrotester would trust and use? My local guy is great (in general), but won't plus any tank without specific REE info for that serial number (i.e. REE stamped on the tank) which eliminates the majority of my tanks. I'm happy to ask them myself if provided who they are - even their RIN and I'll look them up.

Thanks for all help/info!

Take a look at this letter from the DOT regarding REE questions similar to yours. https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phm...aking/hazmat/interpretations/56816/170035.pdf

49 CFR § 178.37 - Specification 3AA and 3AAX seamless steel cylinders​

So exactly. Answers 4,5,6. If I read that right (and I have seen this posted elsewhere), if the values have been determined and recorded, they can be shared and used. So anyone know a hydro tester that has the information and is willing to share it? I have seen Luis’s information but my LDS tester won’t accept it from his posted documents. Still waiting on if the other tester will (since they seem to have lost their past information on REEs)

So… does anyone know any hydro places in Texas that will do + ratings on Steel 72s? I have a few coming up and the most local place will only accept stamped or manufacturer paperwork…

So exactly. Answers 4,5,6. If I read that right (and I have seen this posted elsewhere), if the values have been determined and recorded, they can be shared and used. So anyone know a hydro tester that has the information and is willing to share it? I have seen Luis’s information but my LDS tester won’t accept it from his posted documents. Still waiting on if the other tester will (since they seem to have lost their past information on REEs)
I do have some good news - I talked directly with the hydro guy, sent him these docs, and discussed them with him (and why divers want a plus stamped tank - he's a non-diver). He went back and I have 5 more plus stamped steel 72's! I had no info on my PST steel 95 so that one and my steel WK are my only steel tanks not plus stamped. Maybe someday I can gather enough information on those models to get them plus'd!

Reactions: L13
So… does anyone know any hydro places in Texas that will do + ratings on Steel 72s? I have a few coming up and the most local place will only accept stamped or manufacturer paperwork…
I haven't had much luck in getting responses but I have used the RIN locator and emailed several shops directly. If you can get one to talk with you - and they are open for the discussion - the PST doc (with the typo) should work for old PST's. The information Luis has "may" work for Norris 72s.

Best of luck!

Good luck.

I do have some good news - I talked directly with the hydro guy, sent him these docs, and discussed them with him (and why divers want a plus stamped tank - he's a non-diver). He went back and I have 5 more plus stamped steel 72's! I had no info on my PST steel 95 so that one and my steel WK are my only steel tanks not plus stamped. Maybe someday I can gather enough information on those models to get them plus'd!
Which docs did you send to them? Most of my 72s are Norris…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom