HP Fills, Extra $$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well if I recall it was $40--whether or not that's $40 for two tanks of O2, or $40 for bot tanks combined I can't remember...it WAS a year ago since I last called up National Welders. :wink:

I've done about 40 dives in '06 thus far. I have yet to spend $100 on fills. I do not dive air.

I am very happy to live in cave country, and I am pleased I work for a shop that can blend any mix I want from air to 100% to 10/90.

spectrum:
A local LDS informed me that very soon they will not provide HP fills at air card rates. We're talking about 3500 & 3442 cylinders here, nothing exotic.

Any of you HP divers getting the thumbscrew treatment?

Pete

I know of many shops that charge more for HP fills.. To get the higher pressure they have to run the compressor more or use a booster pump.. This may not seem like a big issue but the cost difference can be quite large..

In areas where business have demand meters running the compressor in the days costs considerably more than at night... the demand multiplier can really add to your electric bill..

shaggie:
If a LDS thanks that they can make up the difference in a couple of bucks for air fills, then they're probably not going to last to much longer.
The point is that with online sales being a fact of life and consequently the margins coming down on gear, the LDS's will have to look carefully at ALL of their pricing structure. Loss leaders like classes and air fills will now need to come closer to the breakeven point if not actually making some profit.

People in business don't like raising prices, simply because of the very reaction by customers that has been indicated in this thread. The fact is, businesses exist to make money. In a small business like a dive shop, the operating money comes from the paying customers instead of from the Wall street investors.

PerroneFord:
I've done about 40 dives in '06 thus far. I have yet to spend $100 on fills. I do not dive air.

I am very happy to live in cave country, and I am pleased I work for a shop that can blend any mix I want from air to 100% to 10/90.

You are so mean........... :D

I had to pay $30 for 32% on 130CFs. It doesn't include the travel cost to LDS....

So, it would be $1200 (or $600) for 40 dives....:( So, you know why I am saying you are so mean.....:D

padiscubapro:
I know of many shops that charge more for HP fills.. To get the higher pressure they have to run the compressor more or use a booster pump.. This may not seem like a big issue but the cost difference can be quite large..

Maybe I'm missing something, but most of the shops that i've been able to see first hand usually have their last cascade bottle filled to 3500 to 4000, so they are already pumping to the higher pressure. And they usually fill AL tanks to 3300 so they cool down to 3000. So what's the big deal about filling HP tanks, letting them cool, then topping them off? Their compressor is still pumping the cascade bottles higher than an standard HP tank.

BSea:
Maybe I'm missing something, but most of the shops that i've been able to see first hand usually have their last cascade bottle filled to 3500 to 4000, so they are already pumping to the higher pressure. And they usually fill AL tanks to 3300 so they cool down to 3000. So what's the big deal about filling HP tanks, letting them cool, then topping them off? Their compressor is still pumping the cascade bottles higher than an standard HP tank.

The issue is that HP tanks tend to deplete the top end of the cascade storage tanks more often. Therefore to meet the demand of toping of the HP tanks the compressor needs to be started more often just to top of the cascade. The cascade may still have plenty of air below 3000 PSI, so the compressor may only need to run for short periods, which is not really good for the compressors. A higher capacity cascade is helpful.

Luis H:
The issue is that HP tanks tend to deplete the top end of the cascade storage tanks more often. Therefore to meet the demand of toping of the HP tanks the compressor needs to be started more often just to top of the cascade. The cascade may still have plenty of air below 3000 PSI, so the compressor may only need to run for short periods, which is not really good for the compressors. A higher capacity cascade is helpful.

you beat me to it :)

Back
Top Bottom