HP Fills, Extra $$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
In my area, HP fill has been addtional $ for a long time. Even for Nitrox, $12 for AL80 and $15 for others. LOL~~~

Now you can see why the portable compressor is getting more popular in the market....

My first response/thought was "holy crap!" $12 bucks for an air fill?

I know that most LDS's don't really charge the "true real cost" of an air fill (if they have a new compressor, keep up the maintenance, filter changes, oil, electricity, labor, insurance/liability, etc)., but $12 bucks an air fill is kinda ridiculous.

What do they charge for a Nitrox fill? $35 bucks?

My LDS doesn't charge extra for HP fills. They do charge a little extra for a set of doubles, but not twice the amount. But that's to be expected.

Charging an extra few bucks to a customer to go from 3000psi to 3500psi is kinda a stupid way to irritate customers for a few bucks for just a measly 500psi. While it might reflect the true cost of an air fill, it's more likely to drive customers away.

Air fills are $4.50 each, which I think is reasonable. Buying them in "bulk" with an air card I can get 10 fills for $30 bucks, or $3/fill. That's very reasonable (and very much most likely below the costs of the operation of their compressor with all costs involved).

Nitrox fills are $10 each (any % up to 40%) and can be bought in bulk for 4 fills for $30 bucks, or $7.50 each in bulk. Again, very reasonable.

jbd:
Most likely what you are experiencing is the response to online marketing of scuba gear.

If a LDS thanks that they can make up the difference in a couple of bucks for air fills, then they're probably not going to last to much longer.

howarde:
- pressure doesn't effect the size of the tank. An HP 80 or a 3000 PSI 80 is still an 80...so it sounds like they're ripping you off.

Pressue does affect how hard the compressor has to run and how often the banks need to be recharged.

Packhorse:
It always suprises me how much you guys in the states pay for air and how little you pay for Nitrox.
I pay $3 for air upto 227bar (OSH limit) and $20 for Nitrox.

Is that $3 bucks US or $3 NZD ?

Either way $3 bucks is cheap, but if it's New Zealand Dollars, then it's even a better deal (compared to the US)

$3.00 NZD(New Zealand Dollars) = $1.85128 USD (United States Dollars )

If your NItrox Fill is $20 NZD, then that's

$20.00 NZD = $12.3419 USD, which is comparable to a little higher to most places here.

miesemer:
Pressue does affect how hard the compressor has to run and how often the banks need to be recharged.
Well Boo Hoo... If that's an excuse to charge people more, it's a pretty lame one. If these places are in business to stay in business... part of that is having satisfied customers... Generally, my philosophy as someone who owns a few retail stores is to - not pissing people off, becuase you're charging more - for less.

Personally, I would find a new place to get fills (if there is one) -

Divers are spoiled when it comes to air fill prices. Maybe some shops sell enough air to make money at $5/fill but many don't.

When you see shops selling air cards or giving free air fills to divers who buy tanks, they're just giving away air to try to keep you comming into the shop.

At going rates, many inland shops wouldn't even be able to make a financial case for owning a compressor at all except the fact thet they have to be able to fill tanks to teach classes. What I mean is given the volume of air sold, it doesn't even make sense to buy the compressor in the first place. The agencies and manufacturers have taken care of that for you though. In order to call yourself a shop and to be able to puchase inventory you are required to teach classes and sell breathing gas. If it were not for those REQUIREMENTS you would be seeing retailers of dive equipment who didn't sell air at all.

Cost wise, it makes sense to charge by the cubic foot. Except that there is a minimum cost associated with the labor and overhead just to hook the tank up. It seems to make all the sense in the world to charge more as costs go up.

Divers are a funny lot. They'll spend thousands on plane tickets resorts and charters but they don't want to pay a few dollars for an air fill.

spectrum:
Nope, no break if you bring in a nearly full one either. Card for card they are 1/3 more than the competition and this makes them 2/3 more.

Brain teaser:
All fills are even dollar prices, what are my local air rates?

I'm guessing the competition is $6 and the LDS in question are $8 for regular and $10 for HP. Of course all the above values could be halved, but a $3 airfill seems a bit low.

My preferred LDS has a price list that is 2x for a HP tank top off. Funny thing is they've never charged me that for filling my PST E7-80. They just charge me the regular $5 rate. I wouldn't get fills there if they did.

I buy an Air Card for a year... Unlimited fills for two tanks... $160 Canadian plus taxes. Otherwise fills are roughly $6 a tank and usually $10 for duals.

Paying by the cf is crazy!

Paying by the CF for technical divers is actually great.

Surfacing from the water with 2/3 (or a bit less) in your doubles and having to refill them with a "full" refill is crazy...

They even try to use your current mix to adjust for your desired mix, so you're actually saving money because they don't drain your tanks for a new mix..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom