How your rig has changed over the years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I recently had a minor surgical procedure that has me bored at home with only Scubaboard and TV to keep me company, and there is nothing on TV.

so how has your gear changed since you started diving from OW till now? In the few short years that I've been diving I can't think of one piece of gear that I still use as a primary except my snorkel, and that just doesn't get used very often. Mask, fins, bc, and regs have all been relegated to backups or sold.

Im now on my third mask and I'm not convinced that this one will give the fit I'm looking for. My fins were replaced when I switched boots because I needed a larger toe box. My bc was quickly switched to one of Tobins creations, and my hand me down regs were replaced by an Edge set with a B&G spg. I still have my first Rambo sized knife somewhere, but that was replaced never to be seen again.

I almost have everything how I want it with just my hose lengths and routing being played with. I now find myself just looking at trinkets that I don't really need, but like a barracuda I'm just drawn to little shiny things.

So how has your gear changed and why did you change it?

My original gear is in a landfill or a museum.

Dust to dust.

The biggest change for me is the amount of gear I haveaccumulated over the years! I still havemy mask from Open Water course (has a few holes in it) and just can’t part fromit. It just feels plain wrong to sellstuff/get rid of any of my dive gear (hoarders here I come).

Well, of course anything with soft neoprene seals has deteriorated. I've never been able to find another mask that fits as well as the first one did. And I bought my first set of gear when I was a skinny kid. (I recently found my first C-card and it says that I weighed 140 lbs. I can't even imagine weighing 140 lbs.) So I've been forced to replace a few things as I became more... mature. Come to think of it, a lot of that earlier stuff came from dumpster-diving in the "bargain bins" at the more bohemian dive shops. Some of it only lasted for a few dives. E.g. the used capillary tube depth gauge. But I still have a few pieces that are more than 30 years old and still work fine.

Hmm... not sure about the Nikonos camera gear. I spent a lot of money on that at one time, but never use it any more. However, I'm not ready to get rid of it yet.

The biggest change for me is the amount of gear I haveaccumulated over the years! I still havemy mask from Open Water course (has a few holes in it) and just can’t part fromit. It just feels plain wrong to sellstuff/get rid of any of my dive gear (hoarders here I come).

I bought this to hold our gear

48 in. Multi-Purpose Wardrobe Cabinet-12336 at The Home Depot

When I run out of space, I start looking at what needs to be moved along. Usually to be piled on top of it.
It holds two compete sets of gear, 4 tanks, weights, regs, spare parts, tool box, mesh gear bags, dive caddy, a couple is pelican boxes, etc. Pretty much everything but wetsuits and skins, they are hung up in a spare bedroom closet.

Hasn't. 13 years later the R190 on the MK2 still breathes real air (nitrox) and BC works. Weight belt is okay, used wetsuit and hoodie vest are still in one piece. Pressure gauge and compass original. Rookie gear, but still 'better than I am' ;-)

What has changed is snorkel went foldable and into pocket. Magnifying lens in mask as my vision got older. Got an air computer, then a nitrox one. Lost one fin, but found another one. They don't match but swim pretty well and buddies know how to spot me in a crowd.

Haven't changed the configuration or the hose lengths either. I sorta want new gear but the old stuff won't break..

Oh, I got a 30 pony and short-hose reg, but only cause my neighbor gave them to me. Haven't put a sling on it and doubt I'll use it since I don't solo, but it's hydroed and looks cool in the garage

23 years later.... I still can't believe how much that damn original wetsuit has shrunk..... are they supposed to?

Honestly, I have all my original gear......

and more..... :help:

---------- Post added February 19th, 2013 at 06:10 PM ----------

So I recently had a minor surgical procedure that has me bored at home with only Scubaboard and TV to keep me company, and there is nothing on TV.

Feel better soon. I'm headed couch bound for recovery in about 36 hours......

Update: It took me a bit to figure this all out-

Late 1980's - Dacor BC, mask, fins & snorkel, SAS Custom WS, Dacor 960 1st, SP 109's and a TUSA console

early 1990's - added SP MK-10 1st, Air-2, and upgraded 109 to 156, new SP mask & Tusa bottom timer, Cochran PDC, tanks + misc. accessories

late 1990's - DUI DS, DUI Delta BI, Rock Boots, Turtles & various accessories

took eight years off 2002 -2010 or so (great timing on buying the DS, right?)

2010's -(back into diving & found SB) Wetwear WS, DSS BP, HOG wing, F-1's, collected a bunch of SP MK-10's & 109's, couple SP MK-17's & G250v's, B&G SPG, HOG mask, new hoses (Phantom's) in various length configurations, Cochran PDC, many tanks, and many more accessories (reels, spools, DSMB, cutting devices, lights, gloves, boots, etc.).

All of this stuff, aside from the original PDC is in my possession, and still working.... anyone want to dive?

Last edited:
Feel better soon. I'm headed couch bound for recovery in about 36 hours......

I just realized that at any given time I can watch either sponge bob or law & order. They're on constantly.

and yes, wetsuits are designed to shrink over time. It's a conspiracy of the manufacturers to keep us buying new ones.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2013 at 04:59 PM ----------

Band of brothers got me through day 1.

In my 7 1/2 years since OW:
-Same used BCD
-Same used 7 mil farmer john wetsuit
-for 5 years used a mask I found on the bottom
-foldable snorkel just replaced regular one
-Suspenders since just after OW
-Bio Tank Lock last 5-6 years
-Split fins last 5 years-still use orig. ones for pool classes
-bought a shortie for pool and use it for warmer dives (63F plus)
-bought body suit for tropics (75F plus)
-replaced orig. used hood (which split apart) with a used hood
-Still watch Law & Order (so many episodes you can forget the plots and they're new again)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom