How you do carry your undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A full size soft bag. It’s showerproof but not waterproof.

There’s a lot of underclothes which are bulky. Also catheters, spare under gloves, towel, etc.

If I were getting another bag it would be more waterproof to survive a soaking from rain and breaking waves.

Has to be soft so it doesn't take up more room than it has to
I don't find that a crate takes up a lot of space, they're stackable, easy to carry, fit under the seat on a boat, and let wet clothes air out instead of getting funky.

I googled it, they even make dry bags that fit in crates.

In my personal diving I wear the undergarments under my regular clothes when diving from a boat. In the morning I don them and the catheter and I'm pretty much ready to put my suit on before we ever leave the dock. If they're wet at the end, they go in a crate. It's all mostly colder water diving though.

In my personal diving I wear the undergarments under my regular clothes when diving from a boat. In the morning I don them and the catheter and I'm pretty much ready to put my suit on before we ever leave the dock. If they're wet at the end, they go in a crate. It's all mostly colder water diving though.
How do you manage a leaky suit?

What about a 2 hour steam out to the dive site?

Changing in the warmth of the cabin?

Loading in the wet?

Rough weather throwing water everywhere?

All good reasons for having your normal clothes -- with sailing jacket, etc. -- separate from your diving underclothes.

As for a crate... You've got to stash your drysuit, underclothes, portable dive kit (masks, fins, SMBs, reels, strobe, lighting...), plus a couple of stage cylinders all under the bench. Crates are really unpopular on crowded dive boats, especially smaller ones.

Loading in the wet?

All good reasons for having your normal clothes -- with sailing jacket, etc. -- separate from your diving underclothes.

As for a crate... You've got to stash your drysuit, underclothes, portable dive kit (masks, fins, SMBs, reels, strobe, lighting...), plus a couple of stage cylinders all under the bench. Crates are really unpopular on crowded dive boats, especially smaller ones.

It's funny you say that. I use a Stahlsac mesh backpack thing for all my gear except my drysuit and undies. But, everyone at my shop uses a crate for their stuff (except suit and undies). We have crates that look like the one posted above except they are not square they are rectangular. One side is almost as long as a pair of Deep6 fins. They are a good height to fit under a bench and the long side is a good length to use all the space between the front and back of the bench. My friends all have bungee rigged on both sides of their crates (on the long sides) so they can store 1 fin on each side of the crate - on the outside, held by bungees. Bungee set in the short ends is good for hanging double-enders, lights, etc. so they aren't just loose in the bottom of the crate.

I take my stuff out of my mesh bag and stick the bag under the bench first, then everything else under, after the bag. Then it is all just kind of loose under my seat. On some boats, that means things CAN move and end up under the seat next to me. With those crates, my friends have everything in the crate, so nothing moves away.

On NJ dive boats, using a crate seems to be the norm (in my very limited experience of NJ dive boats).

I don't have one of those crates, but I have definitely been eyeing them up and thinking about getting one for myself. However, the mesh backpack keeps bringing me home because, well, it's a backpack. I can don it and carry other stuff, making me need one less trip between truck and boat than my friends who have to carry a crate.

Loading in the wet?

I don't understand 1/2 of what you asked? What about a leaky suit? What is a "steam" out to the site? Does that mean it's hot? Loading in the wet? Honest questions, I really don't know.

I do put my normal clothes inside the boat when diving.... in a "dry" crate:D, and I do have a drysuit bag... so I guess that's one thing not in a crate.

Different strokes for different folks in different parts of the world I guess? I've taken the crates to the St. Lawrence, New Jersey, North Carolina, all on boats, never had an issue. Obviously the warmer the water, the less you need.

Not my pictures (courtesy of Gypsy Blood's FB page), but I'm just saying it's pretty common; I honestly don't know of anyone who doesn't use a crate.

255511490_10158367623341254_6765483402898824283_n.jpg

255102669_10158367608286254_2909576921793215777_n.jpg

245927922_10158323179446254_469315233046765811_n.jpg

However, the mesh backpack keeps bringing me home because, well, it's a backpack. I can don it and carry other stuff, making me need one less trip between truck and boat than my friends who have to carry a crate.
That's why our crates are awesome Stuart,... they're modular, ie stack-able:wink::p:D

Also, I'll be needing a pic of how your friends rig up the fins with bungee on either side if you can. That sounds amazing and I need to know how.

That's why our crates are awesome Stuart,... they're modular, ie stack-able:wink::p:D

Also, I'll be needing a pic of how your friends rig up the fins with bungee on either side if you can. That sounds amazing and I need to know how.

What's to stack when you only have 1 crate? LOL I don't know anyone that uses more than one crate - except maybe you. :D

I'll send you some pics.

What's to stack when you only have 1 crate? LOL I don't know anyone that uses more than one crate - except maybe you. :D

I'll send you some pics.
You might persuade me to switch to ONE long crate as opposed to 2 smaller ones.... in my defense my crates were all free, so that's a big plus in my book!

I will pack my undergarments in such a way that those clothes that I will dress first (long johns and shirt) are on the top in my undergarments bag. Woollen socks would be second. Then the coverall.

After the dive everything will be either wet or humid. Undergarments (long johns and shirt) are packed separately and later washed. The coverall only needs to get dry.

I don't understand 1/2 of what you asked? What about a leaky suit? What is a "steam" out to the site? Does that mean it's hot? Loading in the wet? Honest questions, I really don't know.

I do put my normal clothes inside the boat when diving.... in a "dry" crate:D, and I do have a drysuit bag... so I guess that's one thing not in a crate.

Different strokes for different folks in different parts of the world I guess? I've taken the crates to the St. Lawrence, New Jersey, North Carolina, all on boats, never had an issue. Obviously the warmer the water, the less you need.

Not my pictures (courtesy of Gypsy Blood's FB page), but I'm just saying it's pretty common; I honestly don't know of anyone who doesn't use a crate.

255511490_10158367623341254_6765483402898824283_n.jpg

255102669_10158367608286254_2909576921793215777_n.jpg

245927922_10158323179446254_469315233046765811_n.jpg
Sorry for the jargon.

Leaky suit = drysuit leaking; underclothes wet. Need replacements.

Steaming = the time motoring out to the site. Motoring referred to as steaming, just an old word for motoring.

Where I dive, summer's defined as warm rain. Winter it's cold rain. Clothes for 'steaming' are different from clothes for diving. Like to keep them separate.

My "crate" is a climbing rucksack which is as strong as you like but 'soft' so will fit under the bench on top of bailout cylinders. I carry all the diving gear in that including fins plus several water bottles (hydration; the key to good diving). These rucksacks are strong enough to carry sidemount bottles.

Picture of Warmbac 200m Rope Bag

Back
Top Bottom