Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How deep you want to go with this depends on you. I have had the rare opportunity to build my regulator from parts (a few of which I manufactured) so I have gone as for as you can go in that respect. I do all my own repair, it's as much of a hobby as it is a necessity.
I think everyone should at least be able to replace hoses, orings and do basic diagnostics on their reg. How to read and diagnosis a problem with an IP gauge is at the top of the list of things to learn. They are inexpensive ( under $15) and are easy to use. They can be used to make quick, go/no go decisions about a reg before a dive as well as determining what repairs are needed.
I usually take an extra first and second stage and a SPG on most trips. I can swap off parts from it to repair my main regulator or use it as is if needs be. Other than orings or maybe a hose, I would not do extensive repairs on a boat but for me, doing a complete rebuild in a resort room is not out of the question. I usually carry the parts and tools needed to do so. A simple reg like a Scubapro MK-2 is perfect for this. You can get them fairly cheap, they are easy to rebuild (good to learn on) ,are quite dependable and unless you are doing some serious dives, are plenty good enough for any dive, esp if you use a good second stage on it .
Servicing regulators is not for everyone, some people should not be let any were near a tool but it is not the rocket science many would have you believe.

And I’ve seen Dive operators...good ones....take o rings out of the rank next to yours to replace the one that just blew....thank you, but I’ll carry my own NEW o rings and donate to the cause....mine!

Not saying you shouldn't. I carry tank O-rings, especially to Bonaire, where I'm alone at a dive site. If a tank O-ring blows I want to dive, not drive back to the dive shop. Sorry for being semantically picky. My bad.

A popped O-ring on the tank isn't your equipment. It's the operators and their responsibility to fix.
Yes, except the O-Ring on my DIN reg stays on the reg, so I suppose it is part of my equipment, not the shop's. In any event, DIN is less common on Bonaire, so it made sense to come prepared.

If a tank O-ring blows I want to dive, not drive back to the dive shop.

If the tank O ring blows - you take the valve out and replace the O ring - don't you need a compressor to fill up the tank? What am I missing? You still need to go back to the shop... :) Right?

**** Nevermind - you are talking about the o ring in the valve not the tank O ring... that is what I was missing...

I learned to service my gear completely.
Reg rebuilt, bcd, dry suit, etc.

I agree that everyone should be able to change a hose, o ring, and use a up gauge. These are the fondements basics.

I service all my own gear, so I might have a skewed perspective. That said, for the cost of a liveaboard, I'd probably just bring backups of breakable things to make sure I didn't miss any diving. I'd also call ahead and see if they have items for rent if I didn't feel like bringing two of everything.

Can you elaborate a little more on this as I don't quite understand how you put your tank on a hose and it broke? Also, do you mean you take a pony system (regulator hooked to tank) or do you just carry around a spare regulator? lol

That's very true regarding sitting around and fixing equipment. I was thinking more along the lines of fixing it in the evening between days on a liveaboard. So for example, if it's day one of the liveaboard, I'm not stuck without my equipment for the remainder of the days (assuming it's not a complex internal reworking issue).
And that I definitely do! Test out my equipment before leaving for diving anywhere that's more than 50 miles from home lol
I was gearing up on a picnic table and inadvertently got the hose to my console under my tank (I already had donned my unit and was of course sitting on the table). When I grabbed for the console hose it cracked as I was pulling it when it was stuck under the tank (the console holding it there, I assume). As the shop was a 100 mile round trip from home, I decided to just use my pony bottle reg, so I could do some diving while my hose was being replaced. With the pony reg I didn't know depth, but most of my diving is to about 30 feet so who cares. After that, I figured it doesn't hurt to just take the pony reg in the car with me just in case another hose or something else on my reg breaks.

Yes, except the O-Ring on my DIN reg stays on the reg, so I suppose it is part of my equipment, not the shop's. In any event, DIN is less common on Bonaire, so it made sense to come prepared.

Didn't know that. My bad, even worse. lol

I'm always ready to fix or replace anything, but that's just me

Me too. I even briing service kits for my regs. I've only once needed anything from my "save a trip" kit, and guess what, it was the service kit for my pony reg. Something was causing an extremely slow, undetectable leak. Lost about half pressure over 24 hours. I could have just filled it in the morning and again in afternoon and been fine. But being OCD I had to fix it.

How often should O-Rings be replaced on a routine basis to avoid unexpected failure in the water ?

I suspect it naturally depends on the equipment (tanks, computers, etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom