Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most will have some spare rental gear they can lend you so you can finish the trip.

That is very true and I am not opposed to it. However, if it was a simple problem like having to replace my hose, I would much rather be able to replace my regulator hose and continue diving with my equipment rather than swap it all out for a rental unit. If my regulator completely explodes (don't think that should ever happen lol), then I would definitely take the rental instead of saying "well, guess I'm not going to do diving"

2. If it is a big cost (charter/travel), I bring a complete spare set. For me or for our family of three I bring 1 full spare.

FWIW - I'm not rebuilding a reg on a boat to save a dive.... maybe in the evening back at the cottage...

Definitely considering buying a second set for large scale trips just to have as a back-up. Figured that would be the simplest solution. Just wanted to see how technical one would need to get so as to become self-reliant so to speak. Also in no way shape or form am I considering rebuilding a regulator . . . yet lol

Airspeedpress.com has not only the reg book but lot's of other great educational materials. Well worth having a look. The deeper you dig the easier it becomes to find what you need. Also find a local tech you respect and get to know him. If you show interest and aptitude he is likely to become very helpful.

rhwestfall linked that same website so I will definitely take a look at that :) And I believe I have a good rapport with my local dive shop so hopefully they'll be willing to pass some knowledge onto to in the future

I do take my pony reg with me, as once I mistakenly put my tank on a hose and it broke.

Can you elaborate a little more on this as I don't quite understand how you put your tank on a hose and it broke? Also, do you mean you take a pony system (regulator hooked to tank) or do you just carry around a spare regulator? lol

As already mentioned, knowing more never hurts but when I'm on a trip, liveaboard or otherwise, I'm not looking to sit around trying to take stuff apart and fix it.

Also, test all your gear before leaving on the trip - this will help you avoid the vast majority of the issues you are likely to run into.

That's very true regarding sitting around and fixing equipment. I was thinking more along the lines of fixing it in the evening between days on a liveaboard. So for example, if it's day one of the liveaboard, I'm not stuck without my equipment for the remainder of the days (assuming it's not a complex internal reworking issue).
And that I definitely do! Test out my equipment before leaving for diving anywhere that's more than 50 miles from home lol

The equipment is mechanical....mechanical things break! If one is worried while away or on a live aboard, then bring backup and or learn to repair ones own equipment.

Can’t be any more simplified than that.

The equipment is mechanical....mechanical things break! If one is worried while away or on a live aboard, then bring backup and or learn to repair ones own equipment.

Can’t be any more simplified than that.

So for the present situation, I would go with a backup. However, eventually I would like to learn how to repair my own equipment. Any suggestions on how one can learn since taking apart one's own gear without prior knowledge is very dangerous and may cause safety hazards?

So for the present situation, I would go with a backup. However, eventually I would like to learn how to repair my own equipment. Any suggestions on how one can learn since taking apart one's own gear without prior knowledge is very dangerous and may cause safety hazards?
You need to toss your scenario and worry about a different one. Do you have a different one?

Every LOB and seasoned dive op has seen way more types of gear than your LDS (or you) and has already witnessed every type of failure that can happen. They live it on a daily basis. They are gear experts and have solved these types of issues since "something" happens almost every week. Their job is to make you a safe and happy diver. They will quickly fix anything that happens.

Are you still worried?

One starting point is to take a look at your 'save-a-dive' kit. O-rings of all sizes, O-ring removal tools, spare mask strap, a few yards of misc. bungie cord, a couple of bolt snaps, a high-quality folding multi tool, maybe some regulator wrenches (thin), the list goes on.

And the assumption that every dive boat or operator will have every replacement part doesn't always hold up. I had the face O-ring on my DIN 1st stage fail in Bonaire, and they only had the more common O-rings for yokes. Fortunately I had the right size in my O-ring collection.

There's no need to start with regulator repair; there are plenty of simpler things that can need repair or tweaking.

Oh, add to your kit a LP inflator tool and small parts for when sand gets in your BC inflator. Did I mention spare batteries for your dive computer (and transmitter, if you have AI)? Guess you'd better pack the spanner tool for opening the computer to get to the battery, too.

Have fun!
Don

A popped O-ring on the tank isn't your equipment. It's the operators and their responsibility to fix.

A popped O-ring on the tank isn't your equipment. It's the operators and their responsibility to fix.
And I’ve seen Dive operators...good ones....take o rings out of the rank next to yours to replace the one that just blew....thank you, but I’ll carry my own NEW o rings and donate to the cause....mine!

Lol! Take a class on regulator rebuilding! There out there. Heck, even offered here at times.

You may also consider weighing the type of liveaboard you are going to be on and the remoteness of it.

If you are say the Aqua Cat (where I will be in a week) I wouldn't worry too much about it as they would have rental gear if anything catastrophic happened. (blown first or second stage etc)

If you are on one that is more remote and may not carry as much rental gear then, I would give more thought to having some backups.

In regards to tearing your equipment down and knowing how to repair it I am of the school of thought that knowledge is power, so I try to learn all I can when I can. Talk to your LDS and see if you can start helping with regulator repair and servicing. You'll be surprised how many other things you can pick up knowledge about simply because you are around and willing to learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom