How to service my own gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankc420

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, so after spending $20 per stage for service on my reg setup, I want to know who I can go to for training. I'd rather do it myself anyway, so I know it's being done to my standards..

I'd also like to know how to O2 clean my own tanks/valves and do visual inspections.

There are several classes that can teach you about O2 cleaning and VIP. Most of the agencies offer a blender and/or O2 cleaning class. PSI and some other agencies offer a VIP class.

Reg servicing is a black art. I think many manufacturers are reluctant to allow the parts and service kits into the hands of the uninitiated. There are manufacturer specific classes, but they are usually only open to dive shop employees. You could get a job at a dive shop and try to get in on the back room action.

Lastly, some manufacturers sell parts and offer manuals for their regs. DiveRite comes to mind, although there might be others.

frankc420:
Ok, so after spending $20 per stage for service on my reg setup, I want to know who I can go to for training. I'd rather do it myself anyway, so I know it's being done to my standards..

I'd also like to know how to O2 clean my own tanks/valves and do visual inspections.

DELETED BY algulfdiver

What sort of regs do you have?

Unless you work for a dive shop getting the tools, spare parts, and manuals required for some brands can be very difficult.

I think $20 per stage per year is not that much for a sport that can cost thousands per year in travel, gear and accomodation. I see servicing costs as my contribution to the local dive industry, and it gives me a chance to catch up with LDS staff.

If set on doing your own regs then vance harlows books at airspeed press are probably the best starting point on reg servicing and dealing with oxygen.

The book has good tips which help when stuck in a remote location - but even working in Outer Mongolia I still get my regs served by a pro when out on break: some tests such as cracking pressure and IP hose pressure are best measured using the correct tools.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending $20 per stage, I just don't like the shop. :D

And since it's the only one near me, what other choice do I have other than doing it myself?

Tassie_Rohan:
What sort of regs do you have?

Unless you work for a dive shop getting the tools, spare parts, and manuals required for some brands can be very difficult.

I think $20 per stage per year is not that much for a sport that can cost thousands per year in travel, gear and accomodation. I see servicing costs as my contribution to the local dive industry, and it gives me a chance to catch up with LDS staff.

If set on doing your own regs then vance harlows books at airspeed press are probably the best starting point on reg servicing and dealing with oxygen.

The book has good tips which help when stuck in a remote location - but even working in Outer Mongolia I still get my regs served by a pro when out on break: some tests such as cracking pressure and IP hose pressure are best measured using the correct tools.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Servicing your own gear is easy, but a class is a must. As was mentioned earlier, parts can be tough to get a hold of if you're not associated with a shop. Get a buddy who works at a shop, or get a pt job at a shop that carries your equipment.

Also check out Wolfinger's book at http://www.scubatools.com/. I have Harlow's book which is excellent but the excerts I have seen of Regulator Savey are really good. Check out the tools while you are there. Most are excessive for the DIYer but you ,may find a few are needed.

Parts are probably going to be the tough nut to crack. I found enough scubapro parts on ebay to get started. Oceanic may be a bit tougher (smaller mfgr with lots of reg) but try ebay. Once you know what you are talking about, you just need to ask lots of shops until you find one that would rather do some business with you than none.

Good luck

frankc420:
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending $20 per stage, I just don't like the shop. :D

And since it's the only one near me, what other choice do I have other than doing it myself?

There are a number of places doing reg service by mail. Look up scubaboard member JS1scuba and see if he does Oceanics.

Also, I would not consider the class a necessity. There is a lot more information in available documentation than anyone could put out in a day or 2 of classes. Of course, if you can find someone to show you, jump on the opportunity. I found Harlow's book, a set of schematics, and a few manual to be sufficient to get started.

Tanks for all of the replies guys! As far as what do I have?

Oceanic PX3/Alpha 8/Slimline

Back
Top Bottom