How to safely ascend with Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, he has 13 dives and hasn't dived in years. So solo diving is absolutely not an option here, I don't care what your beliefs on it are.

Second, if he's talking about solo diving, he's not talking about a 3cf tank as a backup. Period.

My wife got me some dive books from the library since I can't find my PADI book from 10 years ago. So you guys are very correct concerning the risk of rapid ascend. Most of the risk is with air embolism, and a slight risk of DCS (if you are conservative and used the dive table).

One of the book (called "Scuba for dummies" for a dummy like me!) quoted something I was not aware of. The author noted that PADI advocate emergency ascend instead of buddy breathing in the case of OOA situation.

I did not remember this when I took PADI 10 years ago. The author also noted that this was a skill to be practiced in their OW course- which I did not do 10 years ago. We were taught to buddy breath, both with the same regulator, and with the octopus.
If there is a PADI instructor here, I would like them to input.

It seems to me that the only use for a pony bottle is for a solo diver who might be caught in some tangles and need time to untangle himself. In a recreational diver who lost his buddy - it seems then all he needs to do is practice emergency ascend regularly so he doesn't panic and quit breathing.... Right??

It seems to me that if you are out of air, why need the spare air then?? As most of us can swim to the surface in 3 to 5 seconds - why need the spare air?? Unless it is only to calm down a panicky diver enough so he remembers what he needs to do??

jonnythan:
First, he has 13 dives and hasn't dived in years. So solo diving is absolutely not an option here, I don't care what your beliefs on it are.

Second, if he's talking about solo diving, he's not talking about a 3cf tank as a backup. Period.

Dunno, I don't hear him advocating diving with a buddy. All the replies have sounded like his buddy isn't available for sharing air. The style of diving we enjoy our buddies are never far away. That's why I don't advocate spare air, mine is located on my buddies back.

fisherdvm:
In a recreational diver who lost his buddy - it seems then all he needs to do is practice emergency ascend regularly so he doesn't panic and quit breathing.... Right??

In what scenario would you lose your buddy? Why? Wouldn't it be better to practice buddy skills so that this wouldn't happen?

fisherdvm:
One of the book (called "Scuba for dummies" for a dummy like me!) quoted something I was not aware of. The author noted that PADI advocate emergency ascend instead of buddy breathing in the case of OOA situation.

Specifically, a *controlled* emergency ascent (CESA) is preferable to buddy breathing (i.e. the old school method of two divers breathing off the *same* second stage reg, which is very different from breathing off your buddy's octo!). Worst of all is to just an *uncontrolled* emergency ascent, but at least someone might get to you before you drown.

FWIW, remember that you can always just do a normal ascent if you are at recreational depths or breathe from your dive buddies octo.

PADI OW

fisherdvm:
It seems to me that if you are out of air, why need the spare air then?? As most of us can swim to the surface in 3 to 5 seconds - why need the spare air?? Unless it is only to calm down a panicky diver enough so he remembers what he needs to do??
Do you want to do a free ascent from 100' in 5 seconds when you have say - blown your tanks O ring? Personally I would prefer to share air with my buddy and do a controlled ascent to the surface...

Thanks for the clarification. So if your buddy does not have an octopus, it is preferable to do an emergency controlled ascend. But if your buddy has an octo, then to use it and both will go up at the safe rate....

I am really learning alot from you guys. Thanks .....

I will have to start reading more.

Thanks for the comment about practicing buddy skill. I remembered one of you posted how you have to interview 2 or 3 divers before you can find a suitable buddy.

I had 2 bad buddy experiences, and they were both on night dives. One was a night dive with my PADI advanced class. The kid was about 18, and was assigned to me by the instructor. He did not know where I was most of the time. He wanted to hang around the large water exhaust at Electric beach in Oahu. The vacumn next to the exhaust blew me far from shore and onto the surface. The second time my buddies were 2 fellow physicians. They assurred me that they know how to night dive. I went out on his boat for lobster hunting. The two of them shared one dive light. I loaned them one of my 3 lights. It was a night mare. We were supposed to be in 20 ft of water or less, and we were actually anchored in 60 plus feet. The boat drifted away..... I didn't have prescription goggles then.... Couldn't see the boat when we surfaced.....

So, I am very anxious about diving with a buddy. Unfortunately my wife says that she will not take scuba until hell freezes over... So that's why I find spare air and pony an interesting safety net...

fisherdvm:
Thanks for the clarification. So if your buddy does not have an octopus, it is preferable to do an emergency controlled ascend. But if your buddy has an octo, then to use it and both will go up at the safe rate....

I am really learning alot from you guys. Thanks .....

I will have to start reading more.

Why wouldn't your buddy have an octopus? This is standard configuration. Personally I would prefer if everyone dove with a 7' primary and bungied secondary and not the more general 40" octo.

If a buddy showed up without an octo, I would loan him an extra reg. If he refused, then I would not dive with him/her.

We teach there are 5 LOA/OOA options, in this order:

1. Normal Ascent
2. Air Sharing Ascent (breathing off buddies AAS)
3. Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent
4. Buddy Breathe
5. Buoyant Emergency Ascent

We don't teach buddy breathing anymore (it's optional, I don't teach it in OW) because I want my students to have one response to an OOA, hand off reg, I don't want to force them to make a decision in that kind of emergency.

Now, you should never have to move beyond option 1, if you do, then 2 is ok. Frankly, if you're past option 2, you're going to be lucky to get out of the situation unhurt, and going straight to the surface possibly injures one person (you) whereas if you try to buddy breathe while panicked you will probably injure or drown yourself and your buddy.

PADI OWSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom