How to safely ascend with Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the poster wanted to know, REGARDLESS OF THE REASON WHY IT IS NECESSARY TO MAKE AN ASCENT WITH A SPARE-AIR, what is the safest way to accomplish the ascent.

One cannot answer a question with a question.

Let us try to answer the question and not get into philosophical debates about method.

To wit:
I think would make attempt to make an ascent in the manner of an emergency swimming ascent, but occasionally taking a breath from the Spare-Air as I would from a tank.
In this way you could replenish the air in your lungs, slow the rate of ascent, surface, and request additional air if it were deemed necessary to institute some decompression time.

This, of course, is predicated upon the depth at which the ascent would be innitiated.

I have the feeling that if you need to make an ascent with a spare air, you don't have the time to just start ascending and wait til you're at 33 feet to stop and start breathing on the thing.

Ideally, you'll be smart enough to plan ahead for your depth, figure out the safest ascent profile for that depth, and be able to stick to that plan. For example, if I'm at 100 feet and only have 3 cf to work with.. assuming a stressed SAC of 1, that'll give me enough air for a 1.5 minute direct ascent at a controlled speed, albeit a high one, at 66 fpm. I would try my best to stick to this ascent rate while controlling my breathing as much as possible, then slow down at 20 feet and go up as slowly as possible, surfacing when I feel the thing get tough to breathe.

But then, this is such a poor idea compared to some others that I would never get myself in that situation. If you even have the ability to go thruogh that kind of planning and calculation you should have the ability to realize it's an inferior option. I feel dirty talking about it. The whole idea is stupid. Most people I know in sports more dangerous than SCUBA would never consider taking such dumb risks when there are safer alternatives. Big water kayaking, extended trip caving, long rappels, backcountry skiing, you name it. I can't understand why this stuff flies in diving. Underwater is quite literally the most unforgiving environment imaginable, and people try to get away with such silly ideas. They think that by just giving a passing thought to safety they're ahead of the game without actually sitting down and thinking things through. A lot of them aren't even capable of that kind of thought process, and the fact that manufacturers cater to them is downright horrifyinig.

Spare Air should never be an option, period. It's good for kayakers and copter pilots. If you don't trust your buddy explicitly, you're solo diving. Get real gear and real training for solo diving. Anything else is idiocy.

Simple plans are usually best.

1. ASAP begin ascent quickly and safely. Keep blowing those bubbles as you go. Prep your alternate air source and get it ready to breath. Your exhaling should clear the reg of water.

2. When you can no longer resist the urge to breath, do it.

3. Repeat, as necessary, until you are "finished".

4. If you have the presence of mind and gas remaining, stop at 10 to 15 ft until one or both run out.

Spare air is better than no air until it contributes to one's stupidity. I like to use mine to clean the pool.

The Kracken:
I think the poster wanted to know, REGARDLESS OF THE REASON WHY IT IS NECESSARY TO MAKE AN ASCENT WITH A SPARE-AIR, what is the safest way to accomplish the ascent.

Let us try to answer the question and not get into philosophical debates about method.

If the question being asked is the result of not understanding the foundation to the discussion, it is our responsibility to redirect the inquiry. It would be like me getting on a jet airliner sitting in seat 9B and asking about the best way to descend with a parachute...there isn't one...irregardless of the thought pattern behind it.

The Kracken:

The problem is there is no safe way to accomplish the ascent. It's like asking what's the best way to train my dog how to fly...

OneBrightGator:
The problem is there is no safe way to accomplish the ascent. It's like asking what's the best way to train my dog how to fly...
Or like asking how to bungee jump with a cord that's too long.

The Kracken:
If he was typing from underwater desperately looking for an answer to his OOA problem, I would have a different view of the question. He is not, so I do not.
The Kracken:
I can, so I suppose I am not one.
The Kracken:
Let us not. He is not in the situation and there is no reason for him to get into the situation.

Thank you AWAP.

How to safely ascend with a spair air from any depth.
1. deploy it
2. throw it away
3. get buddies primary
4. terminate dive as planed

Thank you for the comments.

First, as far as diving is concerned, I am stupid. I have not dove for 10 years.

Second, I should not be trusted under the water, I have doved only 13 times.

Third, all doctors are arrogant, so I am not an exception.

Fourth, I am the stupid kid who keep on asking questions.... That's why I could not stop going back to school....

You guys are having too much fun... so I am joining in too...

But I am learning sooo sooo much....

So as I understand, if you use those stupid tables, and find the category you are supposed to be in, etc. etc... and stay within your time limits.... you should not have accumulated enough nitrogen so you can safely have an emergency ascend without having DCS, is that correct????

The decompression stop at 15 ft and the safe ascent rate of 30/min is a safety measure, just in case you fall outside of the bell curve, or you are too stupid (like me) to use the dive tables. Or too cheap (like me) to buy a dive computer.

So the only issue here is that you don't have to give a hoot about DCS if you obey the tables or the dive computer.

Therefore, your only concern is only with air embolism

Therefore, you must keep on breathing.

Therefore, if sucking on your empty tank is enough to keep your airway open, you will not have an air emboli.

Therefore, if you had a spare air, you would stick it in your mouth, and should have about 1 to 2 min of air - which gives you plenty of time to hit the surface.

Therefore, if you obey all the rules of diving, you really do not need a spare air, a pony tank, etc...

I am really stupid, so please tell me am I wrong????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom