How to safely ascend with Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya can't be holding your breath is your airway is open.

Oh, give me a break you guys. I did say that I am sorry!!

Yes my dive instructor did talk about the Jvalve, that you now have reminded me of it. He actually had one and showed us how it works.

Its been 10 years, by gosh. I have too much goobly goop to be thinking about diving over the last 10 years....

I did say that I am incompetent. .... So did you.... Please stop poking the troll with pitch forks ..... I was called a Nigerian, now you are saying I am a Beachbunny or something??

OneBrightGator:
Very inciteful...
Your first statement was saying that the additional gas you can breathe as you ascend is from air expanding in the hoses, not the tank as the thread starter said. He is correct. The volume in the hoses is neglible compared to the 0.4 cu ft volume of the tank.

On the second item, you say that even with an open airway that you will embolize if not breathing during an ascent. This is incorrect. With an open airway the excess air will simply flow back out of your lungs. Thousands of submariners have done training ascents doing this.

fisherdvm:
I did say that I am incompetent. .... So did you.... Please stop poking the troll with pitch forks .....
It will stop a while after you stop fanning the flames.

Asking for it to stop is much like asking the rain to stop.
fisherdvm:
I was called a Nigerian,
There is some merit to that.
fisherdvm:
now you are saying I am a Beachbunny or something??
That would be beachdivequeenbelam, an individual who demonstrated some interesting theories about training. She is still around, but I do not see much from her.

fisherdvm:
now you are saying I am a Beachbunny or something??

Not beachbunny, read the very first thread in the whine and cheese forum if you want a good laugh. That is what the reference is about

Charlie99:
Your first statement was saying that the additional gas you can breathe as you ascend is from air expanding in the hoses, not the tank as the thread starter said. He is correct. The volume in the hoses is neglible compared to the 0.4 cu ft volume of the tank.

On the second item, you say that even with an open airway that you will embolize if not breathing during an ascent. This is incorrect. With an open airway the excess air will simply flow back out of your lungs. Thousands of submariners have done training ascents doing this.
A 1st stage only works when the pressure in the tank is at or above the IP, once the pressure in the tank falls below that, you've "emptied" the tank. It is a rigid container, not effected by the surrounding pressure. As you rise in the water column, the pressure on the hoses is reduced, since a second stage works on a pressure difference between the surrounding pressure and the internal pressure so you can get more air out of the flexible hoses. You're thinking in volume, you should be thinking in pressure.

We're into illogical semantics here, since we're arguing points made by the original poster. If you are allowing air to flow out, then you are not holding your breath. My point was, if you do not allow air out of your airway, you will embolize.

Don Burke:
There are other forums for this sort of troll.

What you can't post a troll within a troll? :wink:

You might be very correct, Onebrightgator. I did not think of that. If the pressure in the tank can not exceed the pressure relief spring pressure (that's why I was hoping that a reg engineer or service person would look at my theory), then an empty tank is an empty tank. So you might be very correct concerning the air being only from the hoses....

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom