How to safely ascend with Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fisherdvm:
Yes, incompetence is admitted here. Yes better dive planning is required. No, you can't throw equipment at the problem. But can't you see - you can't stop incompetent stupid divers like me from diving. Just like you can't stop stupid drivers from getting driving license or kids from getting pregnant or STD's...

Who wants to stop you? You pay your bill right?
The point I am stressing is that not enough dive shops check your dive logs before you fill your tank, not enough dive boats care when your last dive is,

Why should any one check your dive log before selling you air? You're a grown up right? You know if you want to go diving or not right? You have money on you?
If throwing equipment at an incompetent diver can save his life - why not let the stupid guy blow $200 to $300 on a spare air. If he saves his life, then he is not too stupid, is he??

That's just it. Throwing money at it doesn't help. It just makes some people feel like they did something.
My argument here is that the injury most likely suffered by incompetent diver is a bad ascent and blowing his lung from air emboli, and not from DCS. So why carry a 20-40 cf pony tank, when the incompetent diver can carry a 3 cf spare air.....

How about a rabits foot?

You can't make people wear seat belts, use a , etc... How do you expect to make this dumb troll buy your arguments.

No one wants to make you do anything.

In the same way, as MD, RN, social workers, vets and other professionals are required to take continuing education.... Why not require it for divers...

Because it's a recreational activity and most of us don't want any one "requireing" anything. Most of us have been taking care of ourselves for a long time and are content to go on taking care of ourselves especially when we're out diving.

If you feel that you need a periodic refresher you are free to go get one. Why do you need some one to demand it of you?

fisherdvm:
Yes, incompetence is admitted here. Yes better dive planning is required. No, you can't throw equipment at the problem. But can't you see - you can't stop incompetent stupid divers like me from diving. Just like you can't stop stupid drivers from getting driving license or kids from getting pregnant or STD's...
Just go and buy a spare air...and for safety's sake get the nitrox version.

fisherdvm:
If throwing equipment at an incompetent diver can save his life - why not let the stupid guy blow $200 to $300 on a spare air. If he saves his life, then he is not too stupid, is he??
No one's stopping him, but if he gets himself into a situation where he loses his life because he relied on a piece of equipment that's poorly suited to the job instead of abiding by prudent diving practices and spending his money on equipment that would actually be helpful to him, he is not too smart, is he??

If you're really concerned about running out of air because you can't remember to check your pressure gauge and don't want to dive with a good buddy, get yourself a 19cf pony tank with a regulator or consider putting an old fashioned J-valve on your tank. They were all the rage before almost everyone with any sense realized looking at a pressure gauge made diving a lot safer.

Another thing to consider, for the sake of argument, is that any extra equipment you carry with you increases your drag, makes you work harder, and therefore causes you to use your air faster. If you want to carry around a piece of inadequate equipment that will make you use air faster, on the off chance it will help you if you run out of air, be my guest. Don't fool yourself into believing it's a good plan though.

What is a J-valve??

It's a valve with a built in reserve lever. Basicly, when you breathe the tank down to a certain pressure, it acts like it's almost empty until you throw the lever. You then use the remaining gas to ascend.

I was being facetious... you're MUCH better off using proper gas management, but I'd still recommend it over a spare air if you insist on embracing incompetance and not reading your SPG.

Please just take the class again. You're really worrying most of us.

Hey is this person related to Beachdivebalmqueen or whatever her name was?
Come on folks we've done our part. You can't prevent a train wreck if it's bound and determined to happen...

OneBrightGator:
An "empty" (at atm pressure) tank is empty, at any depth. The idea to keep the reg in your mouth as you ascend is because the gas in your hoses will expand, therefore giving you access to a bit more air.

WRONG

OneBrightGator:
...., if you hold your breath, airway open or not, you will embolize.

WRONG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom