How to replace oring in swivel for gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vinterwoo

Registered
Reaction score
I have a uwatec consul, and there is an air leak somewhere in the swivel connection. I changed the oring on the non swivel piece attaching to the consul, but it is still leaking. I am assuming it is one of the very small orings on the small post in the actual swivel attachment.

I tried pulling a little on the post, but I can't get it out. Any ideas on how to fix this.

I am in the middle of the Pacific ocean, so I going to a dealer is not an option.

V

Don't worry about the o-ring,just replace the whole swiffel.
Don't forget to check you have an old swillel and 2 o-rings.

Removing that spool can be difficult and needs to be done carefully to avoid breaking or damaging one of the ends. The same deposits that are making removal difficult are what is likely causing the leak. You obviously have one end free. I suggest you gently turn and pull to try to free the other end. It may take a while to do this by hand but resorting to tools like pliers often results in damage that will require a replacement spool (and hose or SPG) to repair. You need to replace those small o-rings and hope that the seating surfaces in the gauge and SPG are serviceable. Those O-rings also need to be lubed to help proptect the o-rings and their seating surfaces.

Try soaking the spool (little post and whatever it's attached to) in some vinegar for a while, see if that loosens it up. Those thing are easy to break, and once it's out, you might find you can't get it completely clean unless you have some very fine wire to poke crud out of the middle.

I hope you have a supply of 003 o-rings out there; that's what it will probably take.

Uwatec Swivel for Pressure Gauge. Instruments Loose instruments, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba

uwa00019.jpg

DC

Edit: I gotta get me a secretary. Not to do my posting here, but to take care of my work load in my regular job that is keeping me away from the important stuff here on SB.....good post from Matt and Mr. Fixit

I would not attempt to extract the spool unless you have at least a couple of 2-003 o-rings to replace the discrepant ones-and better yet, a replacement spool. You can live with those tiny bubbles until you have the parts to fix it.

http://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/spgsonly.shtml#1679

If I understand your problem, the high pressure spool is stuck in the hose end of the swivel. If that is the case, try soaking the fitting in hot soapy water or vinegar then give it a tug. If still no joy, wrap the fitting up in a cloth and hook the regulator up to a tank. With no one in the area, point it away from yourself and turn the air on. It should blow the stem/spool out. Please take great care not to put your eye or anyone else's eye out doing this!

If the spool is stuck in the gauge part of the fitting, again, soak it in warm soapy water or vinegar and then attempt to extract it per Awap's instructions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Couv

Here's a pretty good article from ScubaToys that really helped me out. I went ahead and bought an extra spool as well as the #03 o-rings just so I would have a spare of everything...

HP spool replacement

Hey,

Thanks for the info on this. I tried everything you guys suggested, but no luck. I thought blowing it out would work for sure, but that thing is jammed in there. It's on a removable gauge set up, and I don't know if that matters, but that spool ain't moving.

Yep, you can get lots of corrosion and salt deposits in their before the seal actually fails and it starts leaking. At this point, you may have little option but hose replacement. But soaking in something like vinegar that will attack those contaminants and using hot water and ice to break them up will usually do the trip if you do it long enough. Try soaking the end of the hose in hot water and then hold just the protruding spool on a piece of ice. The resultant expansion and contraction of the metal parts should start to break up the contaminants. Then a few drops of vinegar between the outside of the spool and the hose end can more effectively attack the contaminants. Then a little light tapping and turning to see if you can get anything to move. It may take a number of treatments before you can break thing up enough to get any movement and even more treatments before you can pull or blow out the spool (I've never tried that, yet). Once you do get it out, rinse the hose well in water to neutralize the acid (vinegar) before you put it back in service.

OK well if still no luck after trying all of the above and if you are at a point that you will have to replace the hp hose, try this:

Chuck the part of stem that is protruding out of the hose fitting in a vise but leave enough room to grip it with a pair of needle nose pliers. Tap on the pliers toward the hose fitting until you either extract the spool with victory or break it off in defeat.

c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom