Which O-ring material? A Conundrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there is too much emphasis on oring composition for this failure.

I suspect that this oring was not seated correctly when the hose was connected to the elbow and the entire short section that is broken off was pushed out of the oring groove and ended up deep inside the coupling. This caused the oring to stretch, but not break (yet) allowing it to still maintain a seal preventing a leak. The picture shows the large part of the broken oring with narrowed angled ends (where it probably was pinched on installation).

Over time, movement of the hose to elbow connection sawed through the stretched part of the oring completely causing it to begin leaking. I'm not familiar with that elbow but doesn't it still allow the hose to rotate like it would when attached to a second stage?

As to what could have caused this dislodgement on installation:

Maybe the oring was pushed too far when installed and part of it was not in the groove resulting in it being pushed way beyond the groove when the elbow was attached.

Maybe there was some debris in the groove that prevented the oring from seating properly. (part of an old oring, dry salt, sand, or locktite)

Maybe the groove was too shallow for the diameter of the oring.

Or maybe I might be completely wrong about this:acclaim:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom