how to pick a reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie:
May I ask why?

I like the hose routing of the Apeks better. Also, the Mk25 first stage hits my head, even when my tank is mounted as low as possible. I can't turn the 1st stage over to have the post pointed down since it covers the same space as the inflation hose of my wing. And even though I don't dive in terribly cold water (45°-50°), I like the peace of mind that comes with diving Apeks in the winter months based on a few reports of freeze ups with the Mk25 in cold water. The adjustability of the Apeks 2nd stage seems better/more to me. The Mk25/S600, even when the 2nd stage is adjusted to it's lowest flow, seems to almost inject air into my lungs, whereas the Apeks is as close to taking a normal breathe as I have experienced with any regulator. I can adjust the Apeks to "inject" a large quantity of air, but can also adjust it down to a more normal level when wanted. I experienced this "injection" with my SP at all depths down to 120'. I know the Mk25/S600 is one of, if not the highest flow rate regs on the market. It just seems to be a little too much to me. Others might have different experiences with the Mk25/S600, and the new Mk17 might be a different animal all together, but I just do not like the Mk25/S600 setup.

kjpwong:
in fact, i have a couple in mind after reading reviews and comments on magazines
1) aqualung legend/ legend LX
2) scubapro S600
3) conshelf XIV
4) mares abyss
..........?

All of those regs are good. You really can't go wrong.
My favorite reg that I have tried(and I own) is an Apeks ATX 200.
The Aqualung legend/legend LX is pretty much the same as the Apeks.

I have tried:
Mares Abyss. It breaths great, but its big and heavy.
Oceanic Zeta. Small, light, breaths amazingly.
Dacor Viper. I like the side exhaust.
A few different Zeagle Regs. They all breath super smoothly and easy. 1st stages are nice and compact.

It probably boils down to the best deal, local service and availability, and what ever you think is the coolest!

dirthead:
I like the hose routing of the Apeks better. Also, the Mk25 first stage hits my head, even when my tank is mounted as low as possible. I can't turn the 1st stage over to have the post pointed down since it covers the same space as the inflation hose of my wing. And even though I don't dive in terribly cold water (45°-50°), I like the peace of mind that comes with diving Apeks in the winter months based on a few reports of freeze ups with the Mk25 in cold water. The adjustability of the Apeks 2nd stage seems better/more to me. The Mk25/S600, even when the 2nd stage is adjusted to it's lowest flow, seems to almost inject air into my lungs, whereas the Apeks is as close to taking a normal breathe as I have experienced with any regulator. I can adjust the Apeks to "inject" a large quantity of air, but can also adjust it down to a more normal level when wanted. I experienced this "injection" with my SP at all depths down to 120'. I know the Mk25/S600 is one of, if not the highest flow rate regs on the market. It just seems to be a little too much to me. Others might have different experiences with the Mk25/S600, and the new Mk17 might be a different animal all together, but I just do not like the Mk25/S600 setup.

If then, sell MK25/S600 to me at a darn good price:D

hoosier:
If then, sell MK25/S600 to me at a darn good price:D

Make me a reasonable offer, and it's yours!

Sorry, I guess we are getting a little off topic and I don't want to hijack this thread.

dirthead:
the Apeks is as close to taking a normal breathe as I have experienced with any regulator. I can adjust the Apeks to "inject" a large quantity of air, but can also adjust it down to a more normal level when wanted.

I agree. I too prefer the adjustable ATX second stage to the S600.

dirthead:
I like the hose routing of the Apeks better. Also, the Mk25 first stage hits my head, even when my tank is mounted as low as possible. I can't turn the 1st stage over to have the post pointed down since it covers the same space as the inflation hose of my wing.

I actually prefer the hose routing of the MK20/25 for single tank diving (see my profile pic). For doubles I think both the MK20/25 and FSR (ATX200) hose routing are nice although the FSR is much more compact.

noob here as well...im thinking of what types of regs to get. when i try some for some dives, what are the things i need to pay particular attention too? i know one is the ease of breathing, anything else? also, i noticed some stage2's have a sort of tuning mechanism to fine tune your breathing, is this function worth it? im still trying to complete my OW course, but i plan to go tech once i rack up the experience (no doubt about it, cant wait!). oh and over here its warm water.

The reason I ask this is because im not too familiar how regs work. if i plan to go tech, do i need to get a set of regs specifically made for tech? (eg. breathing at certain depths) or will good recreational brands suffice? my dm says apex is a good brand, and from what ive read here from you lads its a brand worth considering

Many of the regulators mentioned are very good.

Check the reports at http://www.scubadiving.com/diving/regulators/ you'll see many of them there, with breathing machine tests as well as diver reviews.

Although not perfect, they're about the best reviews that you'll find out there.

I can attest that their testing is not advertisement influenced, because Zeagle has never been rated so highly over the last few years, after we stopped spending with them. We did not do as well back when we spent some major $ there.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep

Chad Carney:
Many of the regulators mentioned are very good.

Check the reports at http://www.scubadiving.com/diving/regulators/ you'll see many of them there, with breathing machine tests as well as diver reviews.

Although not perfect, they're about the best reviews that you'll find out there.

I can attest that their testing is not advertisement influenced, because Zeagle has never been rated so highly over the last few years, after we stopped spending with them. We did not do as well back when we spent some major $ there.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep

Perhaps they want your money back?

I dive the MK25/S600 and love it. It's funny that the thing dirthead likes least about it is what I like best, and that's the air flow rate. This summer I put a Sherwood and my SB regs next to each other, and it felt like I had to reach in and pull the air out of the Sherwood. (Not a shot at Sherwood, I know their stuff is tough), I just really like the delivery of the SB regs. In the US (not sure about other countries), SB also provides a lifetime parts warranty on their regs. So, I go in each year, pay $30 in labor, and they replace all of the parts. That's worth the extra $100 I paid for the reg.

Good luck with your search!

dirthead:
Also, the Mk25 first stage hits my head, even when my tank is mounted as low as possible. I can't turn the 1st stage over to have the post pointed down since it covers the same space as the inflation hose of my wing. . . .
The Mk25/S600, even when the 2nd stage is adjusted to it's lowest flow, seems to almost inject air into my lungs.

Yes - exactly. And depending on the tank shape you may not be able to have the post pointed down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom