How to pick a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hadn't realized that PADI offered a 'Hygenic Equipment' diver course.... but I can really see how having that training would open up a world of possibilities for the average diver to invest in popularly discredited diving gimmicks.

I hadn't realized that PADI offered a 'Hygenic Equipment' diver course.... but I can really see how having that training would open up a world of possibilities for the average diver to invest in popularly discredited diving gimmicks.

I took a Dive Gear Gimmicks specialty course once. I learned a lot and they even gave out a free set of tank wheels. It helps me get my gear over the beach!

48768d1218595084-scuba-caddy-dont-carry-your-dive-gear-roll-cimg8418.jpg
48767d1218595071-scuba-caddy-dont-carry-your-dive-gear-roll-cimg8307.jpg

That's great...

Will add that to my current configuration of:

AIR 2
Spare Air
Console (AI spg, depth meter, compass, pacman game) on a retractable cord.
Fold-Up Fins
Enormous capacity wing, bungeed, with single tank.
Etch-A-Sketch underwater slate
Tropical Drysuit

There really is no excuse for a dragging octopus. That's throwing a bad solution (Air2) and a problem rooted in bad diving skills.

Far easier to improve the skills, then work on a more integrated solution for your configuration.

At the end of the day, if people want 'one less hose' why bother with an Air2? Just go the whole hog and polish your buddy breathing techniques?

Frankly, I'd prefer to buddy breath than have to suck air from my wing...even if I had rinsed it with mouthwash.......

I'd agree with the buddy breathing if I wasn't using my own gear.
But the fact is that the majority of recreational divers are not taught buddy breathing anymore. It isn't in the PADI OW standards and requirements and isn't taught to PADI divers until training for Divemaster. So if you are buddied with someone that doesn't know how, they may freak every time you go to grab the reg for a breath.
In my case admittedly my gear is a mix of recreational and tech gear but this is a configuration strictly used for recreational diving and if anyone cares, I do use a 5' hose on my primary second stage. I did my rescue training in this gear and am quite comfortable with it.

And also a very good argument for the use of the J valve. :D

I mean the SPG is after all, just another hose!

:rofl3:
I was with a group last week and this (I believe he was Polish) diver was using a J-valve, but he had strapped the pull chain down in the "open" position. He was, of course, also using one of those gauge consoles. So would that be like putting an AirII on your BCD and then putting an octo on you reg? :D

I'd agree with the buddy breathing if I wasn't using my own gear. But the fact is that the majority of recreational divers are not taught buddy breathing anymore. It isn't in the PADI OW standards and requirements and isn't taught to PADI divers until training for Divemaster.

Yeah, Buddy breathing is an optional skill on the OW course. I don't know any instructors who teach it - because having a proper AAS makes that requirement redundant.

Having a compromise AIR2, makes buddy breathing a more valuable skills....and that is hardly a positive validation for AIR2 systems....

Each to their own... and if people like AIR2, then that is their choice. I've dealt with real OOA situations and, I personally, understand the value of simplicity and effectiveness under emergency situations. That makes AIR2 a non-consideration when I configure my equipment.

If, or when, the time comes that you have to donate your primary (struggle with an AIR2) to an OOA, stressed diver, in difficult water conditions..... you may also come to the same conclusions....

In my case admittedly my gear is a mix of recreational and tech gear but this is a configuration strictly used for recreational diving and if anyone cares, I do use a 5' hose on my primary second stage. I did my rescue training in this gear and am quite comfortable with it.

There is not such thing as 'tech gear'. It is true that technical divers use a pretty standardised configuration of equipment - but that does not mean it is equipment specifically for 'tech'.

BP/W is just another BCD style. It didn't originate in tech diving... but was adopted by most tech divers as the most secure method for carrying manifolded doubles...with the added benefits of stability, trim and robustness.

Long Hose is applicable to any diver who would wish to share air in an environment where side-by-side diver positioning may not be optimal. Traditionally this means overheard environments with restrictions - but it could equally apply to open-water environments if the diver concerned did not want to be 'on top off' the OOA reciever.

:rofl3:
I was with a group last week and this (I believe he was Polish) diver was using a J-valve, but he had strapped the pull chain down in the "open" position. He was, of course, also using one of those gauge consoles. So would that be like putting an AirII on your BCD and then putting an octo on you reg? :D

How dare you tempt me like that. It just isn't right. Really though, it wasn't his fault he was Polish.

How dare you tempt me like that. It just isn't right. Really though, it wasn't his fault he was Polish.

Sorry, couldn't help meself! He actually was from Poland! I dove quite a few times with some of these guys/gals and (other than the J-valve guy) they were quite competent and had excellent gear. "J-valve" just didn't want to spend any money getting a new valve since his J-valve had always worked for him, and it did while he was with us, ...

I started diving long hose just because I would be as comfortable as possible in an uncomfortable situation like a real OOA/AS emergency. It is just "nicer" to hand them my primary and stick the bungeed 2nd in me own mouth. I don't consider myself a "tech" diver even though I do wreck penetration, etc. (Yes, I have the stupid card! :shakehead:)

I was taught buddy-breathing 26 years ago as part of the NAUI/PADI Basic scuba course, but would rather not have to if not necessary. As to an octo dragging around during a dive,... :shakehead::shakehead::confused:

OldSalty
You mentioned in a previous post about not carrying an SMB. I got out of the habit when I buddied-up on a regular basis with a new diver and we dove together as he worked through to becoming a master-diver finishing his 100th dive last month. He had gotten an SMB and wanted to practice, practice, practice. great! Well, I got lazy since he always had his and we were always paired AND usually I stick like glue to him. Unfortunately we got separated in a no-vis deep dive with fog on the surface in the sea with current. Bad news! I posted to the Accidents and INcidents thread about it to serve as a warning that diving without an SMB can be bad news! (Of course, I had put on my flame-proof asbestos shorts first!) I would recommend that you consider an SMB not as a trinket, but rather an essential part of your rig. Of course the choice is yours, but I never leave home without mine anymore, even diving quarries!

Thats a good learning point. Not just for separations...but, also, because redundancy should exist within the buddy system.

I've seen more than a few bags get tangled and released over the years....nice to know you've got another one in your 'team'.

Back
Top Bottom