How to pick a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In fact...I saw a lot of these slates when I worked in Thailand. They were very popular with newly qualified, low dive-count, Divemasters LOL

They are the size of a house brick.... seriously!

Beside one less hose:
A standard octo can be knocked loose and dragged through sensitive environments. This is the same arguement used in eliminating the SPG in favor of a wireless AI computer.

This is why the octo is bungied around your neck in many cases with a BP/W. The SPG is snap-clipped to a d-ring so it will drag through nothing.

In a OOA situation the diver who needs air often grabs the reg out of your mouth. In this case the Air2 is closer at hand and harder to loose(as in a standard octo knocked from it's mount) so you'll be able to find it and breath.

Again, bungied backup around the neck solves this problem. It is always there and I can simply tilt my head down to get it in my mouth. I don't even have to use my hands.

The standard octo is intended for your buddy, the Air2 is for you and you donate your primary second stage to your buddy. (which often happens anyway)

Exactly the purpose of a bungied backup and long-hose primary.

This is why the octo is bungied around your neck in many cases with a BP/W.

Again, bungied backup around the neck solves this problem. It is always there and I can simply tilt my head down to get it in my mouth. I don't even have to use my hands.

Exactly the purpose of a bungied backup and long-hose primary.

Your talking to deaf ears buddy, he isn't going to get it!

If you are diving in a properly trimmed horizontal position it works fine. I use my lower dump when ascending and descending all the way from the surface and to the surface.
I've been diving a long time, but not as much as I'd like. Consequently, for years I didn't really care too much about techniques (just get in the water and thrash around) and became a sloppy diver but comfortable nevertheless.

That all changed about 2 years ago when I was approached to help out some friends that were interested in SCUBA diving. They looked to me as the "old-timer" and would then scrutinize my techniques (or gross lack thereof!) :shakehead:

Before, I would hold my 15' safety stop fine, but then would just swim up (slowly) from there vertical with me corrugated hose raised above my head. Now I do it horizontal (took a lot of practice). I also like to STOP about about 3' just for grins. It drove my newbie friends nuts at first because they were all on the surface wondering where I went. Then I can look around and simply go vertical to surface. I will say that doing this is not so easy in a BCD but relatively easy in a wing; huge difference.

It only takes proper technique to use the proper dumps on your BC or wing.
and PRACTICE of those techniques!! :wink:

I've been diving a long time, but not as much as I'd like. Consequently, for years I didn't really care too much about techniques (just get in the water and thrash around) and became a sloppy diver but comfortable nevertheless.

That all changed about 2 years ago when I was approached to help out some friends that were interested in SCUBA diving. They looked to me as the "old-timer" and would then scrutinize my techniques (or gross lack thereof!) :shakehead:

Before, I would hold my 15' safety stop fine, but then would just swim up (slowly) from there vertical with me corrugated hose raised above my head. Now I do it horizontal (took a lot of practice). I also like to STOP about about 3' just for grins. It drove my newbie friends nuts at first because they were all on the surface wondering where I went. Then I can look around and simply go vertical to surface. I will say that doing this is not so easy in a BCD but relatively easy in a wing; huge difference.

Glad to hear. Yes, it does take practice. Sometime, just for kicks, try making an 5 minutes ascent from 10 feet. I have don it during deco before. Fun, fun, fun.

I think practice and consideration is always the optimum response... it tends to eliminate the root of a problem rathr than dealing with the symptoms. It's certainly better than throwing money at a problem in respect of silly, expensive gadgets.

completely press the air release button and breath the air from within the wing release the button before exhaling.

I am a long time supporter/user of the air2 and maybe I am using mine wrong but that just doesn't sound right. I think you need to re-examine your technique or find another configuration IMO.

I also like to STOP about about 3' just for grins. It drove my newbie friends nuts at first because they were all on the surface wondering where I went. Then I can look around and simply go vertical to surface. I will say that doing this is not so easy in a BCD but relatively easy in a wing; huge difference.

I know exactly how you feel! Stopping 1m just below the surface and holding that without breaching like a pregnant whale is such a confidence builder. I still remember the awesome feeling I had ages ago the first time I realised I was doing it. Until that point the pressure gradient at the surface had taken me by the scruff of my neck and shaken me about.

I am a long time supporter/user of the air2 and maybe I am using mine wrong but that just doesn't sound right. I think you need to re-examine your technique or find another configuration IMO.

I don't know about other people's inline octo, but the air that goes from the inline octo into my mouth doesn't go through the wing first. But hey, what do I know, I ain't no fancy bungee-around-the-neck octo diver.

BTW, why aren't you dead yet using that inferno inline octo?

RAWalker wasn't saying that the air was breathed from the AIR2 via the bladder....

He was confronted with the problem of how to use the LPI to dump air whilst breathing from the AIR2 and suggested the lunatic solution of not 'dumping' air, but rather sucking it out of the bladder via the AIR2 mouthpiece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom