How to pick a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you explain what is the advantage of Air2?? The group I dived with this weekend, half of them (the experienced half) have Air2 type of inflator/octo combo. I can see it has one hose less than the normal octo, but it seems to have other more pratical issues especially for bp/w users.

Most of wing have no shoulder dump on right side, the lower dump doesn't work on acsent. It seems with air2, the only way to dump is to take the air2 out of mouth, raise the the corrogated hose, dump air, put air2 back into mouth, clear, take a few breathes and repeat the whole thing again. It sounds hassale to me.

Even with wings with shoulder dump on right side, the donner will usually have his/her right hand holding onto buddy's BC harness, so cannot really use right shoulder dump easily.

Am I missign something here? What is the main advantage?

Sounds like you already figured it out!! :D
One less hose.

One less hose.... but you LPI is cumbersome on every dive...and AAS ascents are particularly more task loaded...which is not optimum for an emergency situation.

Can you explain what is the advantage of Air2?? The group I dived with this weekend, half of them (the experienced half) have Air2 type of inflator/octo combo. I can see it has one hose less than the normal octo, but it seems to have other more pratical issues especially for bp/w users.

Most of wing have no shoulder dump on right side, the lower dump doesn't work on acsent. It seems with air2, the only way to dump is to take the air2 out of mouth, raise the the corrogated hose, dump air, put air2 back into mouth, clear, take a few breathes and repeat the whole thing again. It sounds hassale to me.

Even with wings with shoulder dump on right side, the donner will usually have his/her right hand holding onto buddy's BC harness, so cannot really use right shoulder dump easily.

Am I missign something here? What is the main advantage?

Sounds like you got it all figured out. There really aren't any advantages to it. The only one argument would be on less hose, but after practicing an OOA procedure you'd most likely change your mind.

Secondly on a second item in your post you stated that your lower dump wont dump on an ascent.

You'll find that the large majority of divers who use BP/W's prefer to ascend in a horizontal position. There are many benefits of this that are probably more suited for another thread entirely.

When I first started diving I believed that the Air II was the bees knees but now, after diving a different configuration I've realized there are way to many limitations of the Air II's. I'd also prefer to not have to share gas with a dive buddy equipped with one.

Please a bladder really isn't difficult to deal with.
1. Rinse inside and out with clear flesh tap water.
2. add a couple ounces of a non toxic antibacteria with some tap water and work through the bladder (Listerine works)
3. Rinse inside again with tap water.
4. Drain
5. inflate
6. Deflate
7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 to remove all water let stand a few hours and repeat again to lower internal moisture.
If you can't do this to inhibit bacteria and mold growth then you have more problems than can addressed in this forum.

Your telling me like I don't know?

Disinfected, is not the same as steralized. As I said, feel free to do this for yourself...

Beside one less hose:
A standard octo can be knocked loose and dragged through sensitive environments. This is the same arguement used in eliminating the SPG in favor of a wireless AI computer.
In a OOA situation the diver who needs air often grabs the reg out of your mouth. In this case the Air2 is closer at hand and harder to loose(as in a standard octo knocked from it's mount) so you'll be able to find it and breath. The standard octo is intended for your buddy, the Air2 is for you and you donate your primary second stage to your buddy. (which often happens anyway)

Beside one less hose:
A standard octo can be knock loose and dragged through sensitive environments. This is the same arguement used in eliminating the SPG in favor of a wireless AI computer.
In a OOA situation the diver who needs air often grabs the reg out of your mouth. In this case the Air2 is closer at hand and harder to loose(as in a standard octo knocked from it's mount) so you'll be able to find it and breath. The standard octo is intended for your buddy, the Air2 is for you and you donate your primary second stage to your buddy. (which often happens anyway)

Which is the exact same argument for diving a clipped off SPG and a bungied backup around your neck on a stream lined rig. All the same advantages without having to vent out of my reg while sharing air on a 36" (or what ever you have) hose.

But to each their own.

There really is no excuse for a dragging octopus. That's throwing a bad solution (Air2) and a problem rooted in bad diving skills.

Far easier to improve the skills, then work on a more integrated solution for your configuration.

At the end of the day, if people want 'one less hose' why bother with an Air2? Just go the whole hog and polish your buddy breathing techniques?

Frankly, I'd prefer to buddy breath than have to suck air from my wing...even if I had rinsed it with mouthwash.......

There really is no excuse for a dragging octopus. That's throwing a bad solution (Air2) and a problem rooted in bad diving skills.

Far easier to improve the skills, then work on a more integrated solution for your configuration.

At the end of the day, if people want 'one less hose' why bother with an Air2? Just go the whole hog and polish your buddy breathing techniques?

Frankly, I'd prefer to buddy breath than have to suck air from my wing...even if I had rinsed it with mouthwash.......

You know, that will cause you to die a slow miserable death :rofl3:

Unfortunately many people fail to see the necessity to improve their skills. However, considering I'm not a DM candidate I probably am failing to see the true need or importance of the Air2... After a few more cert cards I'm sure I'll see the light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom