How to find inexpensive masks and fins locally?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Dykes

Registered
Reaction score
I've been told that, particularly with masks, you just have to try on the one that's right for you. Pretty much the same with fins (I prefer the kind without straps). In other words, don't buy online.

Is there a local classifieds where I could find a good mask and fins? I can't afford new, and I'm conceivably looking for four sets, since me and my three teens are all looking to get certified as soon as we come up with the money for it. But we have to have masks, fins, and snorkels for the certification class I was looking at. Oh yes - I'm in Clearwater, FL.

Thanks!

Try Craigs List. At least in my area, you can find a wide variety of used gear for sale. You will have trouble trying them all on, though, since you will have to travel.

Before you get too excited about getting cheap equipment, understand that if you buy good stuff, it will last many, many years. I used a mask I bought in 1999 for almost all my diving until it gave up the ghost 3 years ago. That includes my instructional pool dives, which I don't log, so I have no idea how many thousands of times it was used.

Also keep in mind (unfortunately) masks, fins, and snorkels are pretty much the cheapest part of scuba. Masks in particular are one of the most important pieces of gear in terms of personal fit. If you have a poor fitting mask, it's going to make your dive miserable. And to reiterate boulderjohn's point, they really do last a long time. Do yourself a favor and make sure that you get a good fitting mask.

You mentioned that you prefer fins without straps. Those are typically called "full foot" fins. Most of those are not well suited for scuba. Full foot fins are worn barefoot, which means you don't have any thermal protection for your feet. Most divers use open heel fins with booties. The booties provide extra warmth and the open heel fins are typically stiffer, providing better propulsion when wearing a lot of heavy gear that generates drag in the water.

Try FB Marketplace. There are plenty of inexpensive masks, so suggest you buy those new. @MAKO Spearguns has some inexpensive masks. Don’t get any ideas about the full foot fins on Mako’s website. They’re too long for scuba (at least for new divers).

If you look at someone's face, you can get a pretty good idea of the difficulty of getting a mask to fit. I took two friends to a scuba shop to get masks. The wife had a fairly broad face, and every mask she tried on looked good. Her husband had a very thin face, and there was not a mask on that entire wall that worked for him.

Masks will be a pain, because you'll need one that fits well, and may try many dozens before you find one that does.

Fins & Other Equipment: Scubaboard classified, Craigslist, Ebay, Facebook Marketplace

For Craigslist and FB, your ability to find equipment will heavily depend on size of local population, and the amount of diving done locally.

I've been using $30 generic frameless masks and $50 full-foot fins for more than ten years now. Except the last few years I'm using Go Travel fins that lets me go barefoot and still have bungees. I got them when they were $89. They cost $109 now.

I disagree with the idea that open-heel with booties is better. You will likely be diving warm water and I feel no need for thermal protection on my feet in water temps over 70. No booties mean less pieces of gear to keep track of and less neoprene to dry. You get better transfer of power but fit does become more critical.

Don't be sold on the idea that you have to get expensive name-brand versions of masks and fins. The $120 Hollis frameless mask and a $25 generic frameless mask were probably made in the same factory.

Back
Top Bottom